Recent Topics

Ads

Question regarding playing a Black Orc, not build related.

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Collateral

Re: Question regarding playing a Black Orc, not build related.

Post#11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 am

Well for crafting, I picked up tali making and salvaging. It will allow you to convert all the loot that you farm into something useful. Bo is one of the best classes for easy farming as well, so salvaging shouldn't be hard to lvl if you keep doing it. Once you get ap tactic and can't hit me, you can farm like a combine. Alternatively you can pick up scavenging, if you wanna be able to make armour talis.

Ads
Darrell

Post#12 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 am

Another update on my Black Orc:

Just hit rank 40 earlier today. My RR is at 36, so I don’t have too much catching up to do there. I have managed to farm two full sets of Ruin gear, but haven’t slotted any talismans in yet. Picked up a Conq helm from a bag, bought my first two pieces of annihilator with gold and about to buy my first two pieces of merc with more gold. I believe Collateral mentioned earlier in the thread that a Black Orc can farm like a combine, and it’s the honest truth. Once you grab Stop Hittin’ Da Runts from the Toughest tree, and combine that with Can’t Hit Me from the same tree, you become a farming machine. I started out pulling only about three mobs at a time, but now I can pull between 10 and 15. Picked up You’z Got Nuffin’ tactic from Boss tree to add a bit more health regen. Between that and the Toughest bellow, you can go non-stop. If you’re reading this and thinking about making a BO, grab Stop Hittin’ da Runts and Can’t Hit Me asap if you want to get fast xp. I was amazed.

Started doing scenarios for the first time since Rank 30. Despite wearing Ruin gear, I feel like I’m melting. I’m running pure defensive tactics (Rugged, I’m Da Biggest, Good Wif Shield, Stop Hittin’ da Runts). Toughness and Wounds are over 700. Strength is low, around 250. I’m still running Toughest and Boss trees. The scenario scene has been terrible for me. My damage is low, I feel squishy despite being pure defensive for now. Out of a dozen scenarios I’ve managed a conq emblem and an officer’s emblem. Mercenary gear seems light-years away at that rate.

I’m working on getting my epic quest weapons. I have Bane 2H from Chaos T4 quest, and I’m almost finished with T4 DE. Next will be Orc. After that I know I need to get the Winds Impervious jewels. After that, I don’t know. I was hoping to switch to Brawler spec at 40/40 but I doubt I’ll have a full set of Merc by then. Maybe Beastlord set? I feel a bit frustrated, like the carrot of being fun and experiencing the full power of BO is always just around the next corner. Being a PQ farming machine is fun, but I’ve had my fill of PvE at this point.

The leveling experience was by far the best I’ve had in this game. The RvR at rank <30 was a lot of fun, even in ORvR, and killing mobs by the dozens speeds up the XP grind so much. I still feel like a disciple of Gork in PvE, but against players I feel like a gobbo. Hopefully that changes soon.

DokB

Post#13 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 am

You can buy Merc Gloves/Boots (and recently added Dominator but expect people to charge an arm and a leg for them) off auction house and you can wear 4 or 5 piece Beastlord so it shouldn’t take you too long to get your starting gear. T4 INF Belt or Precursor Belt (or whatever the one which has +moral gain) will cover you until you get Conq/Dom belt. If you want to try DPS BO then Beastlord/Merc should be your starting point. If you can’t do that then you might as well stay in defensive spec until you’ve got the gear you need.

You should try to get Beastlord ASAP before they remove it again.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

dansari

Post#14 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 am

Where are your renown points spent? I always prefer avoidance over anything. Ruin is the starter set for t4, but you shouldn't be having that hard of a time with it. I would maybe shoot for Anni if you want to build defensive. Depending on your play schedule and group efficiency, you can make enough conq to get Anni in a day or a week, but that's what I would aim for. Beastlord seems like a waste of time since the stats are offensive.. my 2c
<Salt Factory>

ragafury

Post#15 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 am

dansari wrote:Where are your renown points spent? I always prefer avoidance over anything. Ruin is the starter set for t4, but you shouldn't be having that hard of a time with it. I would maybe shoot for Anni if you want to build defensive. Depending on your play schedule and group efficiency, you can make enough conq to get Anni in a day or a week, but that's what I would aim for. Beastlord seems like a waste of time since the stats are offensive.. my 2c
He wants to go offensive snb. If I understand him right at least.

I personally think it's a bad idea.
I would go def and work towards offensive.
Just because I read it like he pugs a lot.

With offensive gear you are basically nailed to SC and smallscale roaming while defensive gear works in almost every environment (would exclude SC 6v6).
I played offensive till rr52.
It causes really fast frustration because you are more dependent on you teamm8s.
Besides that, you have more reaction time and overextending can't be punished that hard.

If OP is not pugging an playing the majority of his time with at least 1 m8, my comment can be ignored.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Collateral

Post#16 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am

What kinda gear exactly are you wearing? Did you pick up winds impervious set? That will boost your ini and armour a bit, and give you very nice resists. Tanking is not only about wounds and toughness. Actually, armour plays a bigger role atm iirc. You need very high toughness if you wanna make it worth it, although 750+ should be decent for scs. Mixing ruin and anni for armour and touhgness bonuses is your best choice for now if you ask me. Throw in some armour and ini talis and you should be fine. For rr, I recommend full block, dd3 and futile strikes once you hit rr 40.

Picking up BL is not a bad idea. You can wear a 3p with cloak, jewell and pocket, which will give you a nice ws bonus to boost your parry a bit. Also the cloak has a lot of wounds and good resists, and a tali slot, which is very handy.

dansari

Post#17 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm

^ good clarification. 3pc BL is awesome for a lot of classes, no matter the stat bonus. I meant going further into the gear if you're trying to play defensive.

I find that if you want to go a hybrid archetype, you have to have the gear/rr to pull it off. If you're trying to offensive snb with ruin gear, you're going to have a bad time. If you want to offensive snb with at least subj tier weapons, conq/dom/genesis, you'll find more success.
<Salt Factory>

Darrell

Post#18 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you all for the advice and questions, I’ll do my best to clarify.

My gear right now is: full Ruin. No talismans in use yet. DE T4 epic quest shield. Jewelry is a mix of the greens from the renown vendors in IC and I think one blue drop. I have a Skaven parry ring in my backpack, not currently wearing it. 1H is another green from renown vendor. I don’t remember what my armor is off the top of my head, but my UI shows the number as orange which I took to mean was the soft cap?

My spec is: Toughest, grabbing DYG, CHM, SHDR. Rest of the points are in the Boss tree, where I have the Nuffin’ tactic purchased and nothing else (to help with doing PvE to get gear). I haven’t tried offensive spec yet at all.

My renown points: Spec’d into full block, 2 points into parry, 1 point each in Toughness and Wounds as filler (RR 36). I was under the impression that parry is important to handle guard damage, but I can move those points into dodge and disrupt.

My group situation: I joined up with Black Toof and they’ve been very welcoming. I have run several warbands with them, but I haven’t been able to take full advantage of grouping while I’ve been leveling and farming for gear. They have a few recommendations for what a fresh 40/40 should have for gear, and I’m working on getting those.

My current plan: I picked up the BL quests last night. No luck with a group, but managed most of the player kill requirements. Winds Impervious set is on the to-do list. I’m going to purchase the Merc hands and feet with gold. I’m about 30 conq medallions away from the belt, so I’ll grab it once I have enough.

Gear I have sitting in the bank: Annihilator hands and feet, Conq helmet.

Things I do not have: Still need to get my T4 influences up. I find myself pretty low on Officer emblems and medallions (around 40 of each). I have around 65 conq medallions, and I think 2 conq emblems. As I said, scenarios have not been kind to me. Running with a group will help, but I’ve mostly been pugging scenario queues while PvEing to break up the monotony.

What I want to do: I’m immensely looking forward to being a more offensive Black Orc. Ideally, tough enough to stay alive and enough damage that I can’t just be ignored. I’m not sure exactly what gear level I should be looking at to make that switch. I will maintain defensive sets of armor and weapons to use when needed, and I’m willing to spec Toughest and Boss when needed as well. I’d just like to have the ability to be more offensive when I want to play that way (which is, admittedly, most of the time).

I hope this clears up my situation. Thank you all again for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Ads
ragafury

Post#19 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Darrell wrote:Thank you all for the advice and questions, I’ll do my best to clarify.

My gear right now is: full Ruin. No talismans in use yet. DE T4 epic quest shield. Jewelry is a mix of the greens from the renown vendors in IC and I think one blue drop. I have a Skaven parry ring in my backpack, not currently wearing it. 1H is another green from renown vendor. I don’t remember what my armor is off the top of my head, but my UI shows the number as orange which I took to mean was the soft cap?

My spec is: Toughest, grabbing DYG, CHM, SHDR. Rest of the points are in the Boss tree, where I have the Nuffin’ tactic purchased and nothing else (to help with doing PvE to get gear). I haven’t tried offensive spec yet at all.

My renown points: Spec’d into full block, 2 points into parry, 1 point each in Toughness and Wounds as filler (RR 36). I was under the impression that parry is important to handle guard damage, but I can move those points into dodge and disrupt.

My group situation: I joined up with Black Toof and they’ve been very welcoming. I have run several warbands with them, but I haven’t been able to take full advantage of grouping while I’ve been leveling and farming for gear. They have a few recommendations for what a fresh 40/40 should have for gear, and I’m working on getting those.

My current plan: I picked up the BL quests last night. No luck with a group, but managed most of the player kill requirements. Winds Impervious set is on the to-do list. I’m going to purchase the Merc hands and feet with gold. I’m about 30 conq medallions away from the belt, so I’ll grab it once I have enough.

Gear I have sitting in the bank: Annihilator hands and feet, Conq helmet.

Things I do not have: Still need to get my T4 influences up. I find myself pretty low on Officer emblems and medallions (around 40 of each). I have around 65 conq medallions, and I think 2 conq emblems. As I said, scenarios have not been kind to me. Running with a group will help, but I’ve mostly been pugging scenario queues while PvEing to break up the monotony.

What I want to do: I’m immensely looking forward to being a more offensive Black Orc. Ideally, tough enough to stay alive and enough damage that I can’t just be ignored. I’m not sure exactly what gear level I should be looking at to make that switch. I will maintain defensive sets of armor and weapons to use when needed, and I’m willing to spec Toughest and Boss when needed as well. I’d just like to have the ability to be more offensive when I want to play that way (which is, admittedly, most of the time).

I hope this clears up my situation. Thank you all again for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
Yeah, than stick to your plan. If you are grouped it's all right.
Would buy Dom from the auction house and work towards Dom belt or just grind it straight, you need the RR anyway, it's just a gear shortcut.
That will give you 3/6.
Get bl done. (up for 3 more months if I'm right)
Get winds set asap.
It's perhaps 45 minutes of your play time.
Keep on working towards full Dom.

RR investment in parry is worse than d&d imo.
If you witness spike dmg from guarding dance between htl and chm to buy some time to get healed.
You don't need to run off gear to make brawler viable and vice versa. It delivers good pressure via Thc / skull thumper.
Could specc it now.
T4 influence from gk has a nice 1hd sword for off specs.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

dansari

Post#20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Oh nice! BTC is a great guild with strong players. I would absolutely invest in some talismans too. That will also help (probably initiative/toughness?) You should be able to farm for gold/scavenge/salvage items with ease. Raga is right you just have a gear deficiency. Keep working on it and you'll be fine.
<Salt Factory>