Recent Topics

Ads

[Choppa] Lets talk gear / spec / renown setup

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Drunkstains

[Choppa] Lets talk gear / spec / renown setup

Post#1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:31 pm

So Ive been getting into my choppa a lot more recently. I just hit rr40 and starting to get that point where I can start buying conq/dom gear.......at least dom gear anyway.....conq gear is a long ways away.

I was just wondering what you guys feel is your best setup? What kind of stats do you favor? Im unsure of how big a difference say 800 str vs 1050 str will be. What do you shoot for?

If you could afford everything, what setup would you buy? Currently I can get all merc/anni and closing in on full BL. Just trying to get some opinions on what you guys have found ot be an effective set up.

This isnt for WB surfing, Im more into scenarios/small scale roaming/solo/duo type action. Anyway, ready to hear what you build experts got to say.

So far with the gear I got my favorite setup Ive been able to come up with has been 3BL/2 ruin / 2 anni with oathstone accessories. Ive found DW to be much more effective so far than 2H, but would love to be able to rip on some 2H choppa at some point.

Also, with renown Im using full deft defender / parry 3 / resolute defense.

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: [Choppa] Lets talk gear / spec / renown setup

Post#2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 am

I dropped my choppa, for mara.

I am not such a sadist to continue playing such a obscenely group reliant class vs orders rdps heavy nonsense in this armor stacking meta

and personally mate, id recommend you do the same especially if you wanna do small scale

Anyway

4 piece bl for both str and WS bonus,2 piece merc and 2 peice dom for their respective 2 piece bonuses each

2H choppa is bad as long as the inferior 10% strkethrough remains i dont see a reason to use it over the much more impactful 10% free parry DW, the bonus is better and so is faster AA and thus procing more procs n stuff

i dont know why you are bother with the oathstones, i have not felt any impact at all form the +15 aa haste, id rather use beast lord ring, boyz ring of da fist and 2 peices of rvr jewellery

Renown wise idk max parry, deft defender, 1 level of RD and CW and blademaster level 4

*shrug*

Fey

Post#3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 am

I could ask Chopmaster to give some advice, although he doesn't post much. He seems to do relatively fine solo, and shines in our group comp. From my personal experience if you play Choppa you're going to rage quit on a regular basis like I did Saturday, but I was on BO, tanking is **** stress.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

flatfoot1987

Post#4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 am

I agree with TenTon on oathstones, I think it's a waste of a slot. You're probably even better off with greenie enervating str/wnds rings instead of these. 25% would probably make some difference but not 15%.

As for Dominator it doesn't look that impressive in choppa/slayer case. There's a ton of toughness that makes no sense at all. I'd use 3pc with belt for set bonuses only but I'm not sure if it's really superior to 3BL and 2/2 of ruin/merc/anni/whatever. Getting conq is a whole another story. I have quite a few characters around rr40 and literally not a single piece of conq on any of them.

Full deft defender and RD is mandatory for any melee it seems. All because of T4 rdps fest.

Anyway, I also agree with TenTon that it makes zero sense to play choppa until something is done about the class. It's like a walking dps test dummy that also requires two more people to somewhat perform. Dropped mine in favor of a mara.

Savagery/Brutality marauder is just better in literally everything except for raw unmitigated damage. But it feels like everyone is stacking armor so the situation doesn't favor choppas in that department anyway. You never land that tooltip damage. Slayer also feels better because more good tactics/abilities.

Stacking defensive stats means you lose a ton of killing power, a lot more than you gain in survivability department.
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

Drunkstains

Post#5 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 am

Whoops! I meant torment /strife not oath ones. The parry set. Also, I 100% realize how much better mara is than choppa. Appreciate the advice on switching to mara but I just simply enjoy choppa more.

I would like to keep this thread set on talking everything choppa. Appreciate the advice on the gear though so far good information. Also, if people want to talk about anything appearance wise I welcome that too!

flatfoot1987

Post#6 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:39 am

My fav appearance apart from Sovereign is the old Darkpromise set. It's the same stuff you see on the char creation screen.

You can get all of this on RoR from lairs mostly
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

Drunkstains

Post#7 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 am

Fey wrote:I could ask Chopmaster to give some advice, although he doesn't post much. He seems to do relatively fine solo, and shines in our group comp. From my personal experience if you play Choppa you're going to rage quit on a regular basis like I did Saturday, but I was on BO, tanking is **** stress.
Haha yeah it can be frustrating on this class but I just dig the playstyle. And besides....if some buffs happen to come my way I wont be complaining. Ive seen Chopmaster tear it up in a few scenarios, I wouldnt mind hearing his opinion. Ive only been pvping on the choppa for a few days now so still learning myself.

Just posting my setup based on what Ive found working for me thus far, but that is why I would like ot hear from others to bounce ideas off each other.

I love the idea of 2H on the choppa. What have you guys found to work out best? I dont mind if its not as effective as dual wield, its jsut a blast smacking people with a big axe.

tazdingo

Post#8 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:22 am

Drunkstains wrote:What have you guys found to work out best?
anything but choppa

Ads
Foltestik

Post#9 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

choppa is good, but you need to make party around you, if you play solo you will be perma respawning

roadkillrobin

Post#10 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 am

Its a tricky class to play due to the extremly pricey pro vs con mechanic. Slayers are much better designed in terms of dumping rage while Choppa is more designed to stay full out Berzek mode. Order also got much better defensive support (Better heals, better buffs etz) that makes Slayer more sustaineble.

Choppas kinda rely on the player being very good at reading the flow if combat and know exactly when to move in and out aswell as communicating with the rest if group for defensive CD support.

In a lucky strain of crits almoast any non heavy armor target will explode, but settting it up even with a premade is tricky.

Its not a well ballanced class. It got extreme lows and exreme highs which makes it non relible.