[BO] SnB and 2H

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Majorian

[BO] SnB and 2H

Post#1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Hey all, after playing this game for a bit and really bouncing around classes I've come to enjoy the BO.

That said, I was wondering what spec I should be while leveling? I've dipped my toes in the water with 2H and SnB. Is there a specific spec thats better/worse for leveling?

When I reach 40 whats the "go to spec"? Is it SnB or 2H?
Enforcer Krastix - Magus

Ads
Rekoom

Re: [BO] SnB and 2H

Post#2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 am

In general you are more useful as SnB Waagh spec so I'd recommend that until you reach close to endgame gear (Bloodlord/Warlord/Sov) and then 2 hand can be specced for some specific gameplays (instanced content, small scale roaming).

You can spec 2 hand when you reach lvl 35+ for scenarios as your damage then gets really interesting. For oRvR just respec shield + Waagh & tactic.

If you are defending/attacking objectives like keeps or forts I would always spec SnB because there is no replacing block, hold the line, morale pump etc.
Rekoom - 80+ BO

stmarrow

Post#3 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 am

I agree with Rekoom, SnB is much better except for very specific gameplay that also usually requires quite a bit of coordination.

Assuming you level only in PvP (which you shouldn't, unless you really enjoy it), the answer is the same, but if you level in both PvE and PvP, 2H has a lot more going for it but doesn't really become feasible until level 30.

Cookie cutter SnB spec would look something like this: RoR.builders - Black Orc

As a side note, I personally run with this:

RoR.builders - Black Orc

I run 6pc offensive sov, 2 pc invader (both +block pieces), and all renown into defensive skills: +parry, +block, +dodge/disrupt, futile strikes and +initiative.

I switch between 2H and SnB as the situation warrants by just changing weapon and tactics. SnB for sieges, but 2H is much better for open field aggressive play. BO is pretty much the only tank class that lets me get away with a single spec for both offense and defense because the all the defensive tactics you want are core tactics (+wounds, +block, morale pump), and Waaagh is taken for both 2H and SnB.

Majorian

Post#4 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:20 am

Alright so if I am reading this right, go SnB for leveling and then 2h is acceptable alter on when properly geared and while leveling go for the Path of Da Boss?
Enforcer Krastix - Magus

Rekoom

Post#5 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:15 am

stmarrow wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 am I agree with Rekoom, SnB is much better except for very specific gameplay that also usually requires quite a bit of coordination.

Assuming you level only in PvP (which you shouldn't, unless you really enjoy it), the answer is the same, but if you level in both PvE and PvP, 2H has a lot more going for it but doesn't really become feasible until level 30.

Cookie cutter SnB spec would look something like this: RoR.builders - Black Orc

As a side note, I personally run with this:

RoR.builders - Black Orc

I run 6pc offensive sov, 2 pc invader (both +block pieces), and all renown into defensive skills: +parry, +block, +dodge/disrupt, futile strikes and +initiative.

I switch between 2H and SnB as the situation warrants by just changing weapon and tactics. SnB for sieges, but 2H is much better for open field aggressive play. BO is pretty much the only tank class that lets me get away with a single spec for both offense and defense because the all the defensive tactics you want are core tactics (+wounds, +block, morale pump), and Waaagh is taken for both 2H and SnB.
Really interesting build you have here!

Do you ever feel like you are missing the added survivability and perhaps the granted ability of the defensive Sov set?
Rekoom - 80+ BO

Vri

Post#6 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:19 am

Rekoom wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 am In general you are more useful as SnB Waagh spec so I'd recommend that until you reach close to endgame gear (Bloodlord/Warlord/Sov) and then 2 hand can be specced for some specific gameplays (instanced content, small scale roaming).

You can spec 2 hand when you reach lvl 35+ for scenarios as your damage then gets really interesting. For oRvR just respec shield + Waagh & tactic.

If you are defending/attacking objectives like keeps or forts I would always spec SnB because there is no replacing block, hold the line, morale pump etc.
What is your rotation for this build: I know it will not be a set rotation and will change on the fly but what is the baseline or bare bones rotation ?

Rekoom

Post#7 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 am

You are there to control the fight and debuff enemies/buff allies as much as possible.

I usually try to challenge as we engage if it's not already done by another tank followed by a Rock Are into Trip em up on a target I want slowed into Waagh.

After that you have to see, I like using Not in da face/taunt/right in da jibblies on healers, knockdown on runners or a focus target, Shattering enchantments on key players (Rampage on Slayers) and of course Hold the line as needed (moving in and out of fights or during high ranged damage pressure).

All the while make sure you are near your guarded target and buffing his weapon skill. I usually do not use the armor selfbuff as I use an armor pot but I do use the toughness buff under high magic damage pressure.

Playing tank is very fluid and I'm still very much a beginner so take everything I said with a grain of salt and hopefully more experienced BOs will jump in to add/correct me.
Rekoom - 80+ BO

Vri

Post#8 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Rekoom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 am You are there to control the fight and debuff enemies/buff allies as much as possible.

I usually try to challenge as we engage if it's not already done by another tank followed by a Rock Are into Trip em up on a target I want slowed into Waagh.

After that you have to see, I like using Not in da face/taunt/right in da jibblies on healers, knockdown on runners or a focus target, Shattering enchantments on key players (Rampage on Slayers) and of course Hold the line as needed (moving in and out of fights or during high ranged damage pressure).

All the while make sure you are near your guarded target and buffing his weapon skill. I usually do not use the armor selfbuff as I use an armor pot but I do use the toughness buff under high magic damage pressure.

Playing tank is very fluid and I'm still very much a beginner so take everything I said with a grain of salt and hopefully more experienced BOs will jump in to add/correct me.
Thank you for the reply !

Ads
Majorian

Post#9 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Alright...seems like SnB is the ideal way to go with third tree for specialization.

That being said, is it better to go for offensive SnB type gear or just stack defense type gear stat wise?
Enforcer Krastix - Magus

stmarrow

Post#10 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Rekoom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:15 am Really interesting build you have here!

Do you ever feel like you are missing the added survivability and perhaps the granted ability of the defensive Sov set?

Not in SnB mode, no. Piece for piece, offensive and defensive sov are pretty much the same. 6% block, 10% defense proc bonuses are more noticeable, but not a game changer. I sit at 0% chance to be crit even in 2H, and even if less would help to offset any enemy +crit bonuses it still *feels* like a waste of 5pc bonus even if it really isn't. Active ability for both off and def Sov is meh.

But yeah, defenses are not as good as a properly geared defensive BO, but when weighed against the flexibility I enjoy with my setup, I feel like it's still worth being a little squishier. Because 2H tanking might be lol DPS, but it's damn fun. And BO gets reliable, spammable AoE to spread that stat steal love around, and when paired with Waaagh I like to pretend I'm helping. :P

Don't get me wrong, if defensive Sov gave +2 points in either left or right tree I would definitely consider it. At the same time, the offensive 4, 5 and 6 piece bonuses are really nice and stacks with Stab You Gooder and Gork Smash, the former being a class defining tactic, and the latter a really nice synergy. A shame it's wasted in SnB.

In 2H mode, sure, I miss each and every survivability buff there is (including my shield ;) because even with You Wot I feel like I'm made of paper in comparison. But that goes for every 2H tank I ever played, except maybe SM due to WODS, and BG in those glorious days when they had the same skill. Thing is, I only switch to 2H when situation allows for it, and that rarely includes situations where I'm on the defense, in a funnel or breaking a funnel.