Recent Topics

Ads

[Shaman] BIS DPS Gear Discussion

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Toggle

[Shaman] BIS DPS Gear Discussion

Post#1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 pm

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been speaking with various shamans that I know run a DPS spec in game in an attempt to find our "BIS" for damage. I got many, many different answers to my questions. I attempted to put together two different gear sets based on the two lines of thinking that came up over and over during those discussions - a magic crit based gear set and a magic power based gear set. Everyone could tell me why they thought one particular set was better than the other, but nobody that I spoke with had "done the math". So, I gave it a shot. Any and all constructive feedback is welcome.

The Gear

The jewelry (genesis fragment and remnant of the scholar, bloodmoon waaagh beads, and warlord waaagh beads) and weapon (bloodlord waaaghstick) were the same for both builds.

Magic Crit Set - OffSov [5 pieces] (shoulders, back, chest, belt, and boots)/Warlord [3 pieces] (helm, gloves, and jewelry)

Stats [No buffs!] - 985 intelligence, 60 magic power, 37% crit

Magic Power Set - OffSov [4 pieces] (helm, shoulders, back, gloves)/Victorious [3 pieces] (chest, belt, boots)

Stats [No buffs!] - 992 intelligence, magic power 164, 27% crit

The Test

I used the Training Constructs in IC as my test dummies. Each test was performed with no buffs applied prior to the fight (i.e. no pots/liniments, and no pre-hotting for mechanic bonus). I tried to follow a standardized rotation for each fight (I'm human, so I know it wasn't perfect.). The rotation consisted of the following - apply 3 DoTs, brain bursta, waaagh, brain bursta x2, re-apply 2 DoTs, brain bursta until dead. I ran a total of 10 tests for each gear set, and then recorded all of the information given for each fight in a spread sheet (total time, DPS, and highest 3s burst). The results for each of the 3 sections was averaged.

Results - See attached spreadsheet.

Magic Crit Set (10 Test Avg.) - Time 26.69, DPS 620, 3s Burst 5099.72

Magic Power Set (10 Test Avg.) - Time 26.48, DPS 625, 3s Burst 4796.18

Discussion

As far as I can tell, there aren't any statistically significant differences between these two set ups when it comes to doing damage. It would appear that the Magic Crit Set gives you a slightly higher burst potential, and the Magic Power Set gives you an almost unmeasurable edge in DPS. I would like to do similar tests with the various weapon choices that we have access to in order to determine if any of them provide a measurable edge over the others.

Like I mentioned above, any and all constructive feedback is welcome.

https://imgur.com/a/p1dAYiD
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Ads
zayabis

Re: [Shaman] BIS DPS Gear Discussion

Post#2 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Magic Power Set - Warlord [5 pieces] (shoulders, back, belt, boots, jewelry) /Victorious [2 pieces] (chest, jewelry) /OffSov [2 pieces] (helm, gloves)

Toggle

Post#3 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:56 pm

zayabis wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:00 pm Magic Power Set - Warlord [5 pieces] (shoulders, back, belt, boots, jewelry) /Victorious [2 pieces] (chest, jewelry) /OffSov [2 pieces] (helm, gloves)
So, that would give you 227 magic power but cost you another 6% crit chance. That would put me at 21% crit chance. With FS taking 15% off the top, I feel like it would be an overall DPS loss. But it gives me a reason to keep playing my shaman. I'll update the post when I've ran the tests for the set you mentioned. Probably going to need to farm some crests for it though, so that may take a bit. The ring definitely won't be included, at least not for a long, long time. :lol:

Thanks for the input!
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

souron84

Post#4 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:30 pm

Is this the consensus? Finishing up heal set and want to work on a dps set next

Toggle

Post#5 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:32 pm

souron84 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:30 pm Is this the consensus? Finishing up heal set and want to work on a dps set next
I don’t know that there is one. The truth is probably that both routes are so similar that the difference in overall damage is negligible, but I don’t have the gear I need to do a proper test of the magic power build. Need some other shammy player to step up to the plate.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

geraldtarrant

Post#6 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:56 pm

Imo bis dps gear would be :
-5 off sov
-4 ranked off( boots, belt, chest, jewel+crit or magicpower tali)
-2genesis
-bastion staff/fortress staff/anathema staff (depends on preferences)
+ full crit , int/wounds/fs rr spec
And toiling bell lini

Not at pc rn to do math, but i fail to see any better combination
Last edited by geraldtarrant on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muschroom / Gloom / Iznoogood
Orz Guild
Nr1 Sorc Preaseason1 Solo, Nr1 Sorc Season3 Group

Toggle

Post#7 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:27 pm

geraldtarrant wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:56 pm Imo bis dps gear would be :
-5 off sov
-4 triomph ( boots, belt, chest, jewel+crit or magicpower tali)
-2genesis
-bastion staff/fortress staff/anathema staff (depends on preferences)
+ full crit , int/wounds/fs rr spec
And toiling bell lini

Not at pc rn to do math, but i fail to see any better combination
I don’t have the triumphant ring yet, so if you would be willing to run some tests on the dummies and report the results here for that set up, I would be very grateful.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

shoelessHN

Post#8 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

The training dummies arent the best representation of people you run into though, even though the #s are relatively the same.

Magic power set is going to be better against tanks and healers that have a high -crit %, or dps that realize the value of futile strikes.

Magic crit build destroys under geared players, of which there are a lot of right now.

Ads
Toggle

Post#9 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:52 pm

shoelessHN wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm The training dummies arent the best representation of people you run into though, even though the #s are relatively the same.

Magic power set is going to be better against tanks and healers that have a high -crit %, or dps that realize the value of futile strikes.

Magic crit build destroys under geared players, of which there are a lot of right now.
I get that the training dummies aren't ideal, but they're the only way to have objective data about a particular set of gear when it comes to DPS. In the end, this is probably a futile effort since people are just going to play what they want to play regardless of what the data shows, but I still enjoy stuff like this.

I plan on doing the same sort of tests for the various top tier weapons when I get a chance, but the AAO has been on Order's side when I play lately, so I haven't been spending much time on my shammy.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

BluIzLucky

Post#10 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:09 pm

You'll want the Victorious ring not Triumphant.. :lol:

The 5xSovoff,4xVic is "BIS" mostly from the 4p proc giving 130 ini and effectively 130 toughness in 1v1.

Other "BIS" setups:
3xVic, 6xSovOff (+2 Mastery points,-4p proc)

3xVic, 3xSovOff, 3xWar (tanky: +150 wnds,-50 int/mp, -6% reduced disrupt)

5xSovOff, 3xWar (old BIS: -106 int/mp, +4% crit)

2xVic, 7xWar (hybrid/aoe: -63 wnds,-6% crit, +7p proc with 9% crit+12% crit dmg)

In terms of damage.. the differences between all of these sets are too small to practically show on dummy tests as it would fall within the variation of crit chance and crit damage (even assuming rotation, lag, etc. is exactly the same).
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70