Recent Topics

Ads

Magus long range AoE build

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Earthpac

Magus long range AoE build

Post#1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:53 pm

So with the recent changes to the Havoc tree and the magus more generally, I thought about the possibility of a long ranged AoE build. I'm yet to be a high enough level to try this out myself but I thought I might to give this build a try once my magus gets leveled and geared some:

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=mag ... 6:;0:0:0:0:

Idea is to do the standard Changing aoe dot rotation but then use Tzeentch's firestorm instead of switching to single target. Could easily change fiery winds for Perils of the Warp as well if I need the utility. I still have kind of decent single target damage with this build as well, I'm just lacking the big nuke that is bolt of change, but I reckon I could still manage well without.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this kind of build since the changes?

Ads
megadeath

Re: Magus long range AoE build

Post#2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Firestorm is worst ability Magus has. It does no damage and ignores anyone who enters the area of the spell after it was cast.

Better use something like this if you want to kill stuff http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=mag ... :;0:0:0:0:

Or spec Rift like a real chaos wizard
"I came, I saw, I ran away"
- Every order player ever

"My RvR experience improved by 100% after I spent 50 renown points in Improved Flee and Cleansing Wind!"
- Average order player

Tankbeardz

Post#3 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 am

Stay away from Firestorm. It used to be an incredibly viable skill but AOE damage took many nerfs over the years.

Waaghaa

Post#4 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:37 am

Earthpac wrote:So with the recent changes to the Havoc tree and the magus more generally, I thought about the possibility of a long ranged AoE build.

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=mag ... 6:;0:0:0:0:
I must be tired as hell, how is that build long range AoE?

You leave out Daemonic Reach, so all path of changing spells where the majority of your AoE are, dont have the 25% extra range.

As for the old rift statement, if you are in a guild that uses comms, go for it - however if you are in a guild who dont use it and mostly run in pugs, I am strongly against it.

There is no point for a Magus rifting, if the magus get no support whilst doing so, more often than not when you run w/o coms, the moment them orders land at your feet, your dead.
Spoiler:

Earthpac

Post#5 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:19 pm

Well I was thinking of it in terms of a Path of Changing Magus. Once you've used all your AoE skills what do you do? You just resort to ST damage as you lack any AoE other than your dots.

Tzeentch's firestorm is a pretty bad skill, yeah, but it does have 50% increased damage now, so there's that. I figured with disolving mist, glean magic, pandemonium and surge of insanity all ticking down on a bunched up group of enemies it makes a nice addition.
Waaghaa wrote: I must be tired as hell, how is that build long range AoE?

You leave out Daemonic Reach, so all path of changing spells where the majority of your AoE are, dont have the 25% extra range.

As for the old rift statement, if you are in a guild that uses comms, go for it - however if you are in a guild who dont use it and mostly run in pugs, I am strongly against it.

There is no point for a Magus rifting, if the magus get no support whilst doing so, more often than not when you run w/o coms, the moment them orders land at your feet, your dead.
With the recent magus changes you get 50% increased range anyway so the 25% isn't that much of a big deal and path of changing hits 100ft range, but tbh I think that range increase is probably a lot better than Fiery Winds anyway.

And yeah, honestly it's pretty much an anti-zerg build. What I had in mind was mostly warding off keeps with big flashy spells. It also seemed like it might be the most aoe dps you can possibly get at 100ft range in the entire game.

megadeath

Post#6 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Earthpac wrote:Well I was thinking of it in terms of a Path of Changing Magus. Once you've used all your AoE skills what do you do? You just resort to ST damage as you lack any AoE other than your dots.
Apply single target dots. Burst down people with Mutating Blue Fire - Surge of Insanity - Indigo Fire of Change combos. Find a good place for your mist. There are a lot of things you can do after applying all your aoe dots.
Earthpac wrote: Tzeentch's firestorm is a pretty bad skill, yeah, but it does have 50% increased damage now, so there's that. I figured with disolving mist, glean magic, pandemonium and surge of insanity all ticking down on a bunched up group of enemies it makes a nice addition.
It also costs a lot of action paints which you wont have that many after casting your aoe stuff
Earthpac wrote: With the recent magus changes you get 50% increased range anyway so the 25% isn't that much of a big deal and path of changing hits 100ft range, but tbh I think that range increase is probably a lot better than Fiery Winds anyway.
Only good Magus tactics are Daemonic Reach and Demonology tactics. Everything else is trash. About range, you dont get your fancy 50% while on the move. So having extra 25% range at all times is always good.
Earthpac wrote: And yeah, honestly it's pretty much an anti-zerg build. What I had in mind was mostly warding off keeps with big flashy spells. It also seemed like it might be the most aoe dps you can possibly get at 100ft range in the entire game.
If you want anti-zerg build grab Mist and t4 morale right above it. Besides, order never attacks keeps unless you have 200% aao. So your flashy spell wont save you.
"I came, I saw, I ran away"
- Every order player ever

"My RvR experience improved by 100% after I spent 50 renown points in Improved Flee and Cleansing Wind!"
- Average order player