Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Demons management

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
worship

[Magus] Demons management

Post#1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 am

Hi,

I've been playing quite a lot of Magus on KN, but now stuck due to the new pets mechanic (which i don't fully understand tbh :D).
I want my Magus to be RvR solo-roamer, kiting, dots, pugs - and be as much mobile as i can (yes, i know Magus is not the best mobile class).
What should be my demons playstyle? My build will be common 1+2.

1. When it's better to use Pink Horror? Vs whom? Vs ranged enemies only? Or vs specific classes?
2. When should i go for the Flamer? Vs melee? How do you manage Flamer? Compared to vanilla WAR, now Flamer allows you to cast Surge of Insanity, Warping Blast, Rend Winds, Pandemonium while moving (and what about channeling abilities like Indigo Fire of Change? Also?).
What's your General Kiting Plan after the patch?
- start attacking from 100ft;
- when enemy is approaching - kite (run away from your demon) and use all these skills with cast-time as long as you have buff from the demon, which is decaying;
- when the buff stacks are close to 0 - Resummon demon to be able to continue kiting thanks to the Flamer buff?
- then i continue to kite. Once my buff is close to 0 again - should i have Chaotic Attunement tactic ready to instantly resummon demon? Is it really useful?

What should be my general goal when fighting vs melee? Kite and try to have stacks >0 as long as i can? Or it's better to stand still/kite in the small buff range, always having x8 stacks to maximize damage?

I would appreciate any help on fully utilizing new demons potential :)

Thanks.

Ads
ToXoS

Re: [Magus] Demons management

Post#2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I will tell you the same thing (more or less) that someone told me on this forum, which was probably the best advice I ever had about the game:
"If you want to kill people, don't play magus, play a sorc".

You need to be sure you want to play magus. I thought I was back in time, but the daemon management, the class mechanic itself, is really restrictive and limited. You need to always be aware of your buff stacks, where is your daemon etc... This can be quite an issue when you have to focus on the enemy and your surroundings during a fight.

But maybe that's what you like, and therefore there is no issue in your case.
Just be sure you want to spend that time on this class. Take that as a friendly advice.

For solo-roaming I will suggest you the SH. Magus don't have all the "tools" you will need to solo people (ranged snare, silence, range debuff, healdebuff, insta-disarm, etc). But you can try, I know some magi that are good at this. It's just not the easiest.

worship

Post#3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I know what Magus WAS during retail - had rr75+ Magus (when the cap was 80) and liked it.
The questions above are related to the new demon stuff and how it affects "old" Magus playstyle.
Thanks.

Tankbeardz

Post#4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

If you are looking to kill...range pet is all you need, whether you go rift or single target. The new mechanic is mehhhhhh and not designed for killing anything really.

catholicism198

Post#5 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:10 pm

worship wrote:
Spoiler:
Hi,

I've been playing quite a lot of Magus on KN, but now stuck due to the new pets mechanic (which i don't fully understand tbh :D).
I want my Magus to be RvR solo-roamer, kiting, dots, pugs - and be as much mobile as i can (yes, i know Magus is not the best mobile class).
What should be my demons playstyle? My build will be common 1+2.

1. When it's better to use Pink Horror? Vs whom? Vs ranged enemies only? Or vs specific classes?
2. When should i go for the Flamer? Vs melee? How do you manage Flamer? Compared to vanilla WAR, now Flamer allows you to cast Surge of Insanity, Warping Blast, Rend Winds, Pandemonium while moving (and what about channeling abilities like Indigo Fire of Change? Also?).
What's your General Kiting Plan after the patch?
- start attacking from 100ft;
- when enemy is approaching - kite (run away from your demon) and use all these skills with cast-time as long as you have buff from the demon, which is decaying;
- when the buff stacks are close to 0 - Resummon demon to be able to continue kiting thanks to the Flamer buff?
- then i continue to kite. Once my buff is close to 0 again - should i have Chaotic Attunement tactic ready to instantly resummon demon? Is it really useful?

What should be my general goal when fighting vs melee? Kite and try to have stacks >0 as long as i can? Or it's better to stand still/kite in the small buff range, always having x8 stacks to maximize damage?

I would appreciate any help on fully utilizing new demons potential :)

Thanks.
It has less to with your Daemons and more to do with your tactics and renown abilities.

If you're going to solo roam it's recommended that you waste/spend points on Resolute Defenses.
A White Lion will pounce and then knock you down.
A Witch Hunter will stealth, knock you down and then pop Shroud of the Magus.
A Bright Wizard will silence you then try to burst you down.
An Archmage will DoT, AP drain, and then silence you.
An Engineer will stagger you then cause your build times to take 50% longer.

You can kite a Sword Master and you can burst a Warrior Priest and Slayer.

If you don't die from CC, you'll die at the hands of the zerg.

I don't bother with Resolute Defenses, because I also play (PuG) SCs where that renown ability is useless.

*If you pop instability you will instantly lose four stacks or your Daemon's buff, and if you switch Daemons then you'll lose all stacks. It's a buff and a nerf.

I have to head out so I can't go into detail.

Tesq

Post#6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 am

what all said + atm magus is not really mobile becuase the only cast on the move he can do is bind on mid mastery skill when using mid mastery deamon but only if you are in x range from your pet, otherwiese all skill return castable only if static; the range is not much to allow you to kite unfortunately, and regardless the left mastery doing atm more dmg and also hitting from more safer position; when roaming i usually struggle with wl and wh the rest is pretty a fair fight.

worship

Post#7 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:40 am

Guys, thanks for the answers - this is clear, but my question was: did something drastically change in the Magus playstyle after the implementation of new demons, or Magus behavior during the fight remains nearly the same? Are there any new viable tricks?

catholicism198

Post#8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 am

worship wrote:Guys, thanks for the answers - this is clear, but my question was: did something drastically change in the Magus playstyle after the implementation of new demons, or Magus behavior during the fight remains nearly the same? Are there any new viable tricks?
No.

The daemons did not "drastically" change anything- swapping the position of "Bolt of Change" with "Tzeentch's Firestorm" in the Havoc mastery did.

No tricks.

You'll get CCed and you'll die.

You'll get Zerged and you'll die.

Ads
worship

Post#9 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

catholicism198 wrote:
worship wrote:Guys, thanks for the answers - this is clear, but my question was: did something drastically change in the Magus playstyle after the implementation of new demons, or Magus behavior during the fight remains nearly the same? Are there any new viable tricks?
No.

The daemons did not "drastically" change anything- swapping the position of "Bolt of Change" with "Tzeentch's Firestorm" in the Havoc mastery did.

No tricks.

You'll get CCed and you'll die.

You'll get Zerged and you'll die.
Got it. Then the topic can be closed :)
I was hoping for tons of new tricks thanks to the new demons mechanic but it seems there are none, or they are not very useful in practice.
Thanks again.

Karast

Post#10 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

Tankbeardz wrote:If you are looking to kill...range pet is all you need, whether you go rift or single target. The new mechanic is mehhhhhh and not designed for killing anything really.
I wouldn't knock on the new changes to the mid tree. With the flamer out and with a changing / daemonology setup the damage is not bad if you got the support for it. A 2s infernal blast tick, with the tactic is actually pretty juicy. I am enjoying it a bit more on Magus then Engi now, although I do miss M2 for morale pushes, but combined with agonizing torrent, and indigo fire of change the damage is noticeable, and is not a bad AoE setup for warband / pug warband play.

**This is what I am trying at the moment but I am not 100% sure on the tactics, yet**

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=mag ... :5100:5101: