Recent Topics

Ads

New Magus

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
flatfoot1987

Re: New Magus

Post#11 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 am

peterthepan3 wrote:Dots/BoC/SOI or POTW/SVF/IFOC. You want to be using both of your skills that benefit from 50% crit dmg modifier.
What's your opinion on toughness and armor stacking? For solo/pug purposes
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

Ads
Foltestik

Post#12 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

flatfoot1987 wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:Dots/BoC/SOI or POTW/SVF/IFOC. You want to be using both of your skills that benefit from 50% crit dmg modifier.
that = magus is dps not **** tank

tanks play dps speced, dps play def speced nokills tards, and heals play dps = fail

ToXoS

Post#13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

I played that build for quite some time. Then, when I got sick of being disrupted half the time (even at 1050 intel), and killed by ranged KD/burst (because a rotation including SOI means that you need to be at 98 ft of your target even with pink horror range bonus and daemonic reach tactic), I switched to the rotation I posted earlier. The build: http://www.ror.builders/career/magus/s? ... ,5083,5093

Now, since I fully enjoy the range bonus from pink horror and undefendable FRF, it's quite common that I end up being top DB with 0 death in pug scenarii.

Also, being out of reach of detaunt helps a lot.

flatfoot1987

Post#14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Foltestik wrote:
flatfoot1987 wrote:
that = magus is dps not **** tank

tanks play dps speced, dps play def speced nokills tards, and heals play dps = fail
Magus requires some time to set things up so extra survivability seems to help quite a lot. I remember quite a few 1v1 encounters where I ended up winning because I managed to mitigate some physical damage. Armor and toughness set bonuses are here for a reason also.

P.S. Anyone can play whatever class/spec he wants because it's a game, not a job. People come here to have fun so dps tanks and healers are just fine, no need to judge anyone.
Last edited by flatfoot1987 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

peterthepan3

Post#15 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm

ToXoS wrote:
I played that build for quite some time. Then, when I got sick of being disrupted half the time (even at 1050 intel), and killed by ranged KD/burst (because a rotation including SOI means that you need to be at 98 ft of your target even with pink horror range bonus and daemonic reach tactic), I switched to the rotation I posted earlier. The build: http://www.ror.builders/career/magus/s? ... ,5083,5093

Now, since I fully enjoy the range bonus from pink horror and undefendable FRF, it's quite common that I end up being top DB with 0 death in pug scenarii.

Not to take away from what you said, but anything can work against pugs - even FRF spam. I'm talking about an optimal rotation to net you the most damage in a single timestamp against competent people. Yes, you do need to be within 100ft for SOI, but that's easily manageable.

What tactic do you give up for undefendable FRF? I can't see it being worth using whatsoever.

ToXoS

Post#16 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:
ToXoS wrote:

Not to take away from what you said, but anything can work against pugs - even FRF spam. I'm talking about an optimal rotation to net you the most damage in a single timestamp against competent people. Yes, you do need to be within 100ft for SOI, but that's easily manageable.

What tactic do you give up for undefendable FRF? I can't see it being worth using whatsoever.
I give up daemonic reach, since I just use IFOC in the changing tree in my rotation, and it's a 100 ft ability.
Ofc I don't spam FRF unless I have focused mind up.
Beside that, having 2 undefendable direct damage abilities hitting first, followed by 2 instant cast make the rotation more reliable.
And with a 10 sec cooldown on BoC and the large amount of people stacking disrupt, IMO as a magus you need to have reliable DD abilities to keep the pressure up.
Also, an undefendable and spammable long range attack is useful against annoying tanks.

Tankbeardz

Post#17 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm

ToXoS wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:
ToXoS wrote:

I give up daemonic reach, since I just use IFOC in the changing tree in my rotation, and it's a 100 ft ability.
Ofc I don't spam FRF unless I have focused mind up.
Beside that, having 2 undefendable direct damage abilities hitting first, followed by 2 instant cast make the rotation more reliable.
And with a 10 sec cooldown on BoC and the large amount of people stacking disrupt, IMO as a magus you need to have reliable DD abilities to keep the pressure up.
Also, an undefendable and spammable long range attack is useful against annoying tanks.
In that spec id swap your 3 second cooldown with surging power since, last I recall, that added 50% crit damage to FRF.

But then again, I would say that insta-pet is way more useful than either in that spec. It gives you the ability to summon instantly and use your KD to avoid focus. That alone is worth the tactic but not taking it hurts your sustained damage due to the inability to keep your pet bonus up in most situations. Possibly more significant, the AP drain (55 for summon, 60 for resummon) hurts your DPS for the simple fact that you run out of AP much faster.

Just my 2 cents.

Nidwin

Post#18 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:29 pm

I agree with Tankbeardz for insta-pet tactic for both reasons he mentioned. Also it does help a bit for some mobility without loosing too much damage output.

I would only stack toughness/armor in case of a hybrid daemonology/melee spec.
One interresting spec is also toughness/initiative but I'm not sure we can push both high enough with the actual gear to make it playable.

That was just me, but one of the issues on the AoR servers was that Maw's range wasn't changed to 15ft range (was kept to 5ft) making circle straffing with a Magus to Maw a pain in the arse. My solultion was to circle jump and not straff around.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Ads
Asherdoom

Post#19 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm

i dont dvice stacking armor. many dps classes totally ignore it with some skills or reduce it alot so would go wounds instead.