Recent Topics

Ads

New Magus

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
hulkhug

New Magus

Post#1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I made a Magus some months ago after starting collecting Thousand Sons army and I really enjoy most of the stuff class has to offer. I have couple questions so if anyone would be willing to explain some things I would appreciate it.

I just hit 31 and I am in t4. I know that gear gap is quite big but my damage dropped to potato lvl. My dots tickle people and I went from aoe pressuring people to people laughing at me and telling me after scenario to commit suicide (not joking about threats....). Now for the question, will damage go up with better gear or is my spec just not viable?

Spec: RoR.builders - Magus

Reason I am playing change magus is because I like the idea of pressuring people with sustained dot damage (at least pre t4) and I like the mobility due to many instant casts.

I tried havoc and even though BoC is strong in Havoc tree I do not like the idea of being immovable turret considering how fast fights move across the field + cast times in the spec make me feel like I have enough time to take a shower while casting it xD

I tried playing with Dissolving Mist but it seems that AOE radius is bugged and too small or needs an increase in range + damage is horrible and this only shines when in scenarios with interactable pvp objectives. I dropped the Mist for Seed beacuse the damage is ticking sometimes and sometimes it is not probably due to what I think it is a bugged range.

I feel like Magus is really unique and a cool class to play but is put down by the way the game plays by default when in higher tiers (burst damage or go home).

Now. Does anyone have any advice on how to build a Magus with good mobility while having decent damage and something that will make healers go from laughing to: Oh, I have to detaunt that guy.

EDIT:
What tactics are a must for Magus? I use instant summon, int and range tactic atm.

Characters: Gladius (RP), Naulin (AM), Beardicus (WP), Hive (BG)
Guild: The Unlikely Plan / TUP

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/phyrexianhulk

Ads
Rhinochaser

Re: New Magus

Post#2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 pm

I feel your pain, but unfortunately you either have to get gear or dot and pray that you can assist with kills until you get 40 w/decent talis and staff. Engi/Magus aren't very dangerous to healers while underleveled, and you can somewhat tickle squishy MDPS/RDPS, but you will be near dead weight for quite a long time.

The best way to play until 40 is with a warband while getting your head beat in during SCs until you collect enough coins to make your build of choice work for you. You have the right idea as far as "how you want to play your class". The game, however, will not allow you to defeat the Gearhammer meta game without painful leveling. Just group with some high level players and hone your favorite build that way.
Khalfanii - Sorc
Tsurfer - Magus
The Evil League of Evil

hulkhug

Post#3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 am

How does a Change spec look like on let's say 40/40 and merc gear. Is dps enough to make healers detaunt you for example?

Tankbeardz

Post#4 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:11 am

hulkhug wrote:How does a Change spec look like on let's say 40/40 and merc gear. Is dps enough to make healers detaunt you for example?
No. It has never been particularly useful besides IFOC.

hulkhug

Post#5 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:03 am

Oh. That is a shame. I have to figure out how to make change spec work :/

Jaycub

Post#6 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 am

hulkhug wrote:Oh. That is a shame. I have to figure out how to make change spec work :/
Tree suffers from terrible 1st and last abilities.

Mist was apparently doing something like 4x the damage it was supposed to in t3 (critting for like 800 on last stages @lvl 32 w/ 900+ int), got nerfed and now it does pitiful damage. Seed has always been totally crap, and the engineer mirror of it. Probably some of the most uninspired abilities ever created.

You have to spec Bolt now, then grab IFOC or possibly armor. Rift got nerfed with a longer delay, still functions but feels lame now outside of massive RvR fights.

Magus has a lot of tactics to play around with, you can kinda go a bit more into change tree if you grab 25% increased range tactic which gives you 2 very long range attacks (bolt and IFOC), and makes application of glean a bit easier.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

flatfoot1987

Post#7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 am

Played around with Path of Changing but didn't find anything worthy. It just feels like you're trying to tickle people to death rather than apply some noticeable pressure.

Currently using this. Apparently everyone plays either some rift build or some variation of a BoC setup. RoR.builders - Magus

Typical rotation (outside of dots) looks like this: Bolt of Change, Surge of Insanity, Surging Violet Fire, Indigo Fire of Change.

You can actually hurt some unsuspecting targets with that but a) it requires some setup time in turret mode b) it's still worse than sorc burst and easily gets outhealed.

Currently the turret mode feels at home in oRvR sieges where you can hitch a zerg and safely shoot from distance, but some fast-paced scenario combat - no way.

Maybe we'll get a loner tactic that doesn't tie us to stationary demons, who knows.
Murdock - Marauder
Gromyka - IB
Agnostic - WP

Glorian

Post#8 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 am

Not a Magus but an Engi player here.

Similiar but not equal though however that BoC setups are like the Rifle setups on engi.

The truth to this path is that a sorc/BW or SW/SH can burst far better than you. The only way to get fun out of it is to find a sniperbuddy.
Use swift assist for target focus and use the classical fast damage rotation.

Dot-boc-flickering-indigo fire of change.

If you both use it you will kill targets before they can react.

With flatfoots tactics you should have a decent Crit.

And as I said, solo magus as well as solo Engi is dull. Magus duo rocks.

Getting four and you will have FunTM.

Ads
ToXoS

Post#9 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am

Glorian wrote:Not a Magus but an Engi player here.

Similiar but not equal though however that BoC setups are like the Rifle setups on engi.

The truth to this path is that a sorc/BW or SW/SH can burst far better than you. The only way to get fun out of it is to find a sniperbuddy.
Use swift assist for target focus and use the classical fast damage rotation.

Dot-boc-flickering-indigo fire of change.

If you both use it you will kill targets before they can react.

With flatfoots tactics you should have a decent Crit.

And as I said, solo magus as well as solo Engi is dull. Magus duo rocks.

Getting four and you will have FunTM.
Baleful - Withered - BoC - FRF - SVF - IFOC. Works well if you take the tactic that makes FRF and Rend winds undefendable.
Also, on pug play be sure to slot the M2 Focused Mind to use it before BoC and FRF spam (again, with the undefendable tactic), with some lucky crits that combo is a free kill on squishies/MDPS.

peterthepan3

Post#10 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 am

Dots/BoC/SOI or POTW/SVF/IFOC. You want to be using both of your skills that benefit from 50% crit dmg modifier.