Recent Topics

Ads

[Chosen] 2H spec for smallman

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
rmarcoux86

[Chosen] 2H spec for smallman

Post#1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 am

Hello,

I wanted to start this post off by saying that I've thoroughly read through the Chaos forums for tips on 2H Chosen and yes I know it's not the most effective spec for any tank (or chosen) to do, but it's what I want to do. I like to pick my characters and specs based off what I like to play first, then balance-in how I can be most effective afterwards. I find the most success in me having fun this way :)

With that said... I've joined up with 4-5 other buddies who I will be rolling and plan to try out some small man action. We'll likely consist of 2 healers and 3 dps. For my spec, I've already decided to take Path of Dread up to OB (15% crit with 2h), but I'm unsure about the rest of my points. I feel like it's a toss-up between the 3s knockdown in Path of Corruption or Tainted Wound in Path of Discord.

I hear a lot of people are stacking armor in the end game, so I don't know how effective Cleave and Relentless from the Dread line. If Ravage is going to be my main move, I would love to find an excuse to have a bunch of points in discord. Am I on the right train of thought here?

Any insight would be awesome!!

Thanks,
Preesh
Preesh - 69 Bright Wizard
Preeesh - 72 Chosen

Ads
GodlessCrom
Suspended

Re: [Chosen] 2H spec for smallman

Post#2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 am

If you're tanking, you need the knockdown at least. 2h chosen is perhaps the least viable of the 2h tanks, unfortunately. Relentless is useless, never spec for it. I haven't touched 2h chosen in a while, but the basics of being any tank are gonna include speccing for your knockdown, and your super punt (hastened dismissal.) I think Horsewhisperer was running 2h chosen for a while but he mostly does warband stuff and I dont know if he plays it anymore. Most chosen are gonna say go snb and they're right but if you're set on 2h, I don't know what is useful anymore. Crippling strikes might still be worth it for small scale since you can juggle it between their dps but hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

TenTonHammer

Post#3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 am

I dont know i feel like if your gonna do small scale AND tank i say just drop pretenses and forget about crippiling strikes, due to going 2h your gonna lose out on mixed defenses which i feel severely reduces your tanking potential, so i would say just go up mid tree and grab downfall + oppression, then just drop all your remaining points into resists tree so you can atleast still hit hard with ravage.

Panzerkasper

Post#4 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:40 am

So if you really really really really really really really want to go for the worst playstyle on the most boring class in the game i reccomend this:

waronlinebuilder.org - Chosen build

Or this:

waronlinebuilder.org - Chosen build

Second spec can also be played with snb. Morale 1 depends highly on the group setup, armor debuff/CC depends on the classes you have in your group. Heavy physical lineup with a mara for example doesnt really need CC.

30/12/2018 RIP 2h Chosen

Luuca

Post#5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:47 am

If you are going 2-hander on the chosen, your group comp should be you, 2 dps, and 3 healers because two of the healers will be needed to maintain the rez cycle for you and your dps buddies.

If you insist on 2-hander, you should play a Black Orc. If you insist on 2-hander you should bring a SnB Chosen into the mix for Guard, KD, and survivability. 2+2+2 is a good mix for 6v6 but you're going to have a bad time with no real tank.

Just my opinion, and free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but 2H Chosen is least desirable spec in a 6-man at this time.

If you are dead set on playing a 2h Chosen, it is important that you realize the following;

1. On RoR, Crippling Strikes cannot trigger from AoE attacks (Blast Wave etc.) so it will only proc on melee attacks. This makes the tactic undesirable for any group play at any level. If you are able to find 1v1 duels then it may be worth it, but not for even a 6v6.

2. As a DPS Chosen, you will be starved for AP. Decent sustained damage with lackluster burst will be the best you can hope for. Without AP, you will be cannon fodder. Archmage drains are going to be the bane of your existence as you rush the squishy healers. To counter this, you will need to pick up and run the AP drain/refill aura. You should also run the Chaotic Advantage tactic for 75 AP on parry (every 3 secs). With these two items, you will still be AP challenged, so take the less than awesome Rank 1 Morale Inevitable Changing for some instant damage and instant refill of your AP bar.

3. You have a few anti-kite abilities in the spec below like Quake, Rening Blade and Dizzying Blow to stop a foe to catch up or keep them snared with a 10 second snare on a 5 second cool down, but with the plethora of CC, Punts, and snares in RoR, you will be constantly pre-kited and kited to death by Order ranged-heavy group compositions. Your best bet is to slot Unstoppable Juggernaut for a shorter CC/Snare break and hope for the best. I would not recommend using Renown points to augment this as you will need all of them in Deft Defender for Dodge and Disrupt as well as Reflexes for maxing out your Parry rate. Your survival rate is going to be helped by your heavy armor, but you will need as much Dodge, Disrupt, and Parry as possible to remain alive in RvR. If you are dead, your DPS = 0

4. Depending upon your gear, the abilities of your group healers, and your discipline not to over-extend out of heal range or LoS, you will probably want a mix of talismans in your gear in the following order of importance; Toughness>Strength>Armor. Your survival rate is going to be helped by your heavy armor, but you will need as much Toughness as possible (700 min) to mitigate the damage you will take by removing Block from a shield. The Strength is important to land punts, snares etc. You should have at least 500 Strength. Yes, you could go full glass-cannon forgetting Toughness and slotting all Strength, but you never go full retard. You will be dead before you can get to your target once the other 6-man discovers just how soft you are.

4.1 The discord line is probably a better choice for Quake and the additional Resists you get from the Discordant Instability aura with more points in this tree, but mainly because your main attack, Ravage, is Spirit damage and Discordant Instability debuffs the Spirit resists of your enemy, making Ravage hit harder. One could make an argument for the Path of Corruption because of the increase Toughness aura and the knockdown of Downfall; however, you will need as much anti-kite and mass stagger that Quake provides to be viable.

5. You are going to be very gear-dependent to be successful. You will need a lot of crit, even with the Oppressing Blows tactic giving you 15%. You will need a minimum of 22% crit to give you any meaningful Burst potential. The sad fact is that you will be a slave to the Random Number Generator (RNG) in this spec. Without some big crits, you will be less effective than a poorly played true melee DPS class. So find the best set and weapon you can and ensure you have a higher-than 22% crit rate. If you have to give up some renown points to achieve this, don't. It's better to use influence gear with +crit on it or a 5 piece set and influence gear to get to 22%+ crit. Remember, you need the renown for survivability. Once you have enough renown points to max Deft Defender for Dodge and Disrupt as well as Reflexes for Parry, you can increase your crit rate.

Here is a decent 2-hander spec. you can try.

RoR.builders - Chosen

I would advise you to consider the 2H Black Orc seriously before you commit to the frustration and lackluster dps performance of the current RoR version of the 2H Chosen.

Panzerkasper

Post#6 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 am

This spec is completly nonsense. There is absolutly no reason to go for RB anymore and there is no reason to go for crit tactic without CS. Besides you wanna be one of these "lulwannabedps" Chosens wich is more of a burden than a relief.

CA + Ap-Aura + Ap Morale, why not take PftG too, so you have the complete overkill on ap regen. Inevitable Changing is the worst M1 of the Chosen, i would never consider taking it. Small tip: AP-Pots!

30/12/2018 RIP 2h Chosen

KeanuDracula

Post#7 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

"loldpschosen" is a high renown rank Chosen game and even then... If you aren't at least rr60, forget about it. Since you want to "DPS" you will opt for offensive gear which in turn means little to no initiative or crit chance reduction. That gets you best case scenario somewhere between 10-14% to be crit WITH Flawless armor slotted. Add into the equation an initiative debuff like "marked" or standing in MoM and you are back to 20%+ to be crit. High rr dps will eat you alive.

Most people still try to cling to the memory of what a high rr Chosen was able to get stat wise on Live, that memory is just that, a memory. Gear stat inflation and the "epic" items that had insane stats with 6% crit and the like are gone. The dev's on this project know better. The true stat monster build Chosen is gone.

The changes to the class on this project leave little to be desired in the 2h department. CS in itself is still good but the change with it not being proccable on aoe abilities removed all appeal for the cookie cutter spec, which was the 2h spec. Before, you would supplement your survivability for a high chance of debuffing enemy damage output. The risk/reward factor leans too far in the risk portion now. If by chance you are the solo tank in the group as well... good luck :)

Luuca

Post#8 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Panzerkasper wrote:This spec is completly nonsense. There is absolutly no reason to go for RB anymore and there is no reason to go for crit tactic without CS. Besides you wanna be one of these "lulwannabedps" Chosens wich is more of a burden than a relief.

CA + Ap-Aura + Ap Morale, why not take PftG too, so you have the complete overkill on ap regen. Inevitable Changing is the worst M1 of the Chosen, i would never consider taking it. Small tip: AP-Pots!
Given the tools the class has a 2hander, IMO, Rending Blade is useful as a longer than melee attack against being kited. It's undefendable damage and if you have a DoK in the group, can proc the snare covenant.

I do not advocate going 2H, but the spec I posted is perhaps the best spec I can come up with based upon the typical SC Order group composition. I respect your opinion, and agree with you 2H is the weakest spec, but the ONLY way a 2H Chosen can be a threat now is through sustained damage.To sustain that damage, you need AP and you need to be alive. My spec attempts to cover both.

Ads
Panzerkasper

Post#9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Luuca wrote:
Panzerkasper wrote:This spec is completly nonsense. There is absolutly no reason to go for RB anymore and there is no reason to go for crit tactic without CS. Besides you wanna be one of these "lulwannabedps" Chosens wich is more of a burden than a relief.

Given the tools the class has a 2hander, IMO, Rending Blade is useful as a longer than melee attack against being kited. It's undefendable damage and if you have a DoK in the group, can proc the snare covenant.

I do not advocate going 2H, but the spec I posted is perhaps the best spec I can come up with based upon the typical SC Order group composition. I respect your opinion, and agree with you 2H is the weakest spec, but the ONLY way a 2H Chosen can be a threat now is through sustained damage.To sustain that damage, you need AP and you need to be alive. My spec attempts to cover both.
Root, quake, snare and flee+ap pot are your anti kiting tools. Throwing axes also proc the covenant, they have a higher range and a lower cooldown. So before sinking points in the dread tree just for RB, I would rather invest it in discord tu push the res aura.

30/12/2018 RIP 2h Chosen

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 pm

A bit off topic, but what would you fellas like seeing done to 2h chosen to make it more viable (short of reverting CS nerf). I agree with Panzer that it's the worst spec of the most boring class in the game (even knight is more fun, and better in basically every way, especially but not only as 2h) which is a shame because it's one of the coolest classes from a lore and looks standpoint.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!