Recent Topics

Ads

[Chosen] Auras

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
th3gatekeeper

Re: [Chosen] Auras

Post#31 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Penril wrote:
th3gatekeeper wrote:
I feel like we are saying the same things, but I am trying to not get hung up in the weeds. Yes you can pepper in Blurring Shock as well - its situational though. You might use it before an ED. The point is though, you can do a full rotation in maybe 2 cycles through stances. So 6 abilities and you PRETTY MUCH covered all the bases right?

When you contrast that to the other classes (take chosen) how many abilities will he use? or a BG? Many more than 6...

I am not trying to say it doesnt take skill, I am merely saying there are more CHOICES you have to CHOOSE from. The SM/BO have an advantage of less choices because everything is compartmentalized. At any point in time, several abilities are not really accessible... Like in basic stance, you cannot use improved or perfect stance abilities. Where as all abilities are available to a Knight or Chosen. Which is almost the opposite of a BG (and part of their problem) where almost NONE of their abilities are available until they are near, or at max mechanic, and then they have TOO many choices.
Are you really saying Chosen is harder to play because he has access to all his skills while BO/BG have access to only a few at a time due to their mechanic?
Nope. Sorry if Im not making this clear.

There are TWO things being discussed here.

1) Difficulty
2) Ability Choice

If I were to rate these I would say difficulty to play:

#1 SM/BO
#2 IB/BG
#3 Chosen/Knight

Now if we are saying "ability choices"
#1 BG/IB
#2 Chosen/Knight
#3 is SM/BO

What I am saying is Knights and Chosen have more ability choices however what I want to point out is that

more ability choice =/= difficulty level.

Which is why I am saying please DO NOT merely make auras "more ability choices".
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
th3gatekeeper

Post#32 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:30 pm

roadkillrobin wrote:Making Auras active abillties is imo a pretty bad idea.

The classes allready have a active skill rotations aswell as keeping track guard, challanges and HTL etz. Even more active abilties that will need targeting etz will make em a compelete mess to play tbh. (One of the reason BG fails) Remember the class were designed to have 4 seconds windows between aura toggles to use rotations. So thats also how the active ability skill set been designed to used.

I would make the auras function something like this.

You chose 3 active auras.
Auras from a specific mastery have a proc requirement that lingers for 5 seconds when triggered.
Examples: Dread Auras procs of you making a crit attack. Corruption Auras procs of Sheild block and Discord Auras procs of DIsrupt.
Signature Mastery Abillties require a Aura proc to be used.
Example: You Disrupt an attack and triggers all Discord Auras, so Quake become availible to be used until you no longer have a Discord Aura active.

Sure some Auras needs tweaking in values aswell.
This is better than active abilities as well. I still dont really get the downside to my proposal though..

Path of Dread abilities will proc any Dread Auras active.
Path of Corruption abilities will proc Corruption Auras active.
Path of Discord abilities will proc any Discord Auras active.
- You can still pick 3 auras to activate.
- I would keep all the same coding you have now, so the aura "lingers" for 8 seconds
- The debuffs are 30 feet AoE (like they are now)
- If you want to nerf auras further, make them an AOE BUFF to allies within 50 feet.

This will make auras require management/twisting via current abilities/less uptime and also adds new "utility" to abilities such as Blast Wave being used "defensively" to proc resist auras, or backlash aura.

or maybe A Knight would use Perserverance to proc his toughness aura while in the "backlines". Or maybe Shield of the Sun to proc his resist aura.

You have a whole new way to play these two classes now, that requires MUCH more skill than it does now, without compromising the class and without adding "new active abilities" that you need to use.

I dont see the downside unless you are worried about uptime and potency of auras.

If so, consider NERFING Chosen auras (except maybe the damage ones) such as STR/TOUGH/RESISTS so they are less in severity of stat. So maybe reduce the STR/Tough auras to like +50/-50 as the base (down from 75) to make room for ST buff/debuffs to be more potent.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Penril

Post#33 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok, there is no point in having a balance discussion outside of the BDF about something that we aren't even considering to implement atm.

Locking.