Recent Topics

Ads

New Magus need help!

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
User avatar
martholomew
Posts: 94

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#11 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I wish I had seen this thread before, when i was being griefed by a damn WL because, for some reason, my RVR status would not go away. It had been about a half hour (not ten minutes) and he followed me killing me before I could do any quests or PQ's. Now I feel like I could destroy him.
Magus 40/64

Ads
nat3s
Posts: 251

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#12 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:42 pm

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/armor ... name=Llell

Setup someone posted above is the exact armour setup i used with Demonsoul from the epic quest for your weapon (wound proc also heals - much better than subjugator / SC weaps). Aim to upgrade Demonsoul to the epic version (Demonrend) from BB / BE rep.

This is the resist set if you want to run more magic resist (although I'd recommend going int):

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... eaker_Band
https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... urate_Seal
https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... ller_Chain

Can get them all in about 30 mins, tome unlock forum thread explains how :)
Destruction - Pain and Pleasure Guild
Defrack rr73 Mara
Defraz rr81 Magus

User avatar
martholomew
Posts: 94

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#13 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 am

I'm really having a hard time. For one, I've just spent 7 scenarios back to back without getting a single heal. the SECOND order sees me, they come and destroy me, surrounding me and disabling me and i get ignored so often. Is it even worth being a Magus? I think I do a good job. I CC the hell out of people and knock tanks and healers off bridges and forts. I'm trying to stay back as much as I can, but the best specs on this very forum need you to be so close to them which is almost a death sentence.

I dunno what to do. What is the BEST spec and gearing for scenarios? I'm sick of running back and being instantly focused and murdered without even so much as casting a single summon.

When I CAN survive, and actually get some heals, I absolutely shred the other DPS, doing top DPS and having near the top kill count in each scenario each time.

I've talisman'd for toughness and armor, but that doesn't help when 2 tanks and 2 melee surround you and eviscerate you. I'm trying to level, but it's going so slow. ANY advice is helpful. I'm spec'd for Demonology like is listed here in this post, but it keeps getting me killed having to get close enough to DoT.

I try to pre summon my flamer, and then when I get near the action, just port it in so I maintain my damage buff. At this point I don't know if it's just me sucking or the others suck. It doesn't help that sometimes get zero heals and have to try and take down Order who is 90% Archmages and Engineers.
Magus 40/64

Cornerback
Posts: 185

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#14 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am

For scenarios, I usually run a havoc long range spec. The 4 Ps are the key:
Positioning, positioning, positioning and positioning. Stay on max range whenever possible. And avoid scenarios like Mourkaine Temple or Black Crag Keep. Too many obstacles for long range there.

Close range magus really shines in solo play or in a properly built group or warband. Random scenarios are not what you are looking for.
~~ Guild leader of Elements & Elementz ~~

Grombrindal (IB), Gromsson (Engi), Dwaini (RP), Snobbi (Slayer) - Carroburg/Karak Norn/Badlands/MS
Xeyron (Magus), Antyria (DoK), Antyrai(Witch Elf) - Karak Norn/MS

marisco
Posts: 153

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#15 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:28 pm

martholomew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 am
I'm really having a hard time [ ... ]
Like Cornerback said, if you plan on making scenarios your bread and butter for leveling dont bother with demo. Go Havoc and snipe people from afar while you outrange them with Pink Horror buff. Demo is usually good in premades where you can get a guard and pocket heals, PuG tanks generally dont guard rdps so you are basically a free kill to mdps.

All specs of Magus are viable (something pretty rare amongst the classes) but some shine in certain situations more than others. If you are constantly getting jumped on, you need to learn better positioning but that generally comes with time played. That's why I don't recommend Demo spec for new-ish Magus players, since your range is cut and you are prone to overextending. Havoc grants you a bigger leeway to make mistakes. You can even run full glass cannon build and rely only on positioning to defend yourself. And since you are relatively safe with the range, you have time to properly setup.

Also, you should have multiple tactic sets to change based on the situation, so consider running the insta-summon tactic if you are having trouble setting up on the go. It's amazing on movement-heavy scenarios maps (or rvr situations that demand constantly moving).

User avatar
martholomew
Posts: 94

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#16 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:45 pm

marisco wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:28 pm
martholomew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 am
I'm really having a hard time [ ... ]
Like Cornerback said, if you plan on making scenarios your bread and butter for leveling dont bother with demo. Go Havoc and snipe people from afar while you outrange them with Pink Horror buff. Demo is usually good in premades where you can get a guard and pocket heals, PuG tanks generally dont guard rdps so you are basically a free kill to mdps.

All specs of Magus are viable (something pretty rare amongst the classes) but some shine in certain situations more than others. If you are constantly getting jumped on, you need to learn better positioning but that generally comes with time played. That's why I don't recommend Demo spec for new-ish Magus players, since your range is cut and you are prone to overextending. Havoc grants you a bigger leeway to make mistakes. You can even run full glass cannon build and rely only on positioning to defend yourself. And since you are relatively safe with the range, you have time to properly setup.

Also, you should have multiple tactic sets to change based on the situation, so consider running the insta-summon tactic if you are having trouble setting up on the go. It's amazing on movement-heavy scenarios maps (or rvr situations that demand constantly moving).
Thank you for this.

I have leveled up and am now using the insta-summon tactic, plus int buff and 15% bonus crit. I am AE spec'd now, and am having a good time doing it. I do die less now, and my targets die more, but I still need to figure out a way to take down a WL that won't get off my ass. .... It's a bit ridiculous that I blow 3 CC attempts on them and they don't get affected by it. Is that even balanced? My biggest enemy now is line of sight. All I have been doing in keep runs is laying down AEs repeatedly and trying to dot as many people as I can, but that still means I have to be somewhat in range and ALWAYS ALWAYS get targeted first. I want my guild to be proud of me, but I am getting so many mixed signals about what spec is best/when to do what/rotations.

I've been debuffing spirit and hammering Rend winds which seems to do good damage and take people down, but action points run out. In another level I"ll be able to wear +AP stuff that i've collected, thankfully.

Any and all advice from veteran Magi is very welcomed.
Magus 40/64

JohnnyBGoode
Posts: 3

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#17 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi,
Can someone tell me where the jewels in those armory links come from: "Essence Brooch of the Ravener" "Warp pendant of the Ravener"?
Thanks!

Zxul
Posts: 763

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#18 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 am

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 pm
Hi,
Can someone tell me where the jewels in those armory links come from: "Essence Brooch of the Ravener" "Warp pendant of the Ravener"?
Thanks!
Random drop from mobs, so most likely AH.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
JohnnyBGoode
Posts: 3

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#19 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:25 pm

Great, thank you!
Other question: What gear/spec would you recommend for Havoc single target spec for scenarios?

Cornerback
Posts: 185

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:46 pm

I'd run something like this:
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5119,5086

With RR50, add Perils of the Warp from left tree.
Aegis of Orange Fire from daemo is a HUGE lifesaver.

For gear, full conquerer or vanquisher, 3 pcs Beastlord + 3 pcs Genesis are fine.
If you wanna go full crit, go for 5pcs Genesis, but I don't rly like this due to the awful stats on cloak and shard.
Slot +23 Int talis.

Try to get a staff with wounds buff proc from city dungeons. They are pretty awesome. Run Demonrend if you need more def or Spirit of the Djinn if you wanna go more offensive.

For max damage, run the Bloodlord Staff from Bastion Stairs.

Depending on the situation and your positioning-skills, spent your renown on either anti-crit, crit or dodge/disrupt. With said gear + city dungeon stuff you usually dont need to get int.
~~ Guild leader of Elements & Elementz ~~

Grombrindal (IB), Gromsson (Engi), Dwaini (RP), Snobbi (Slayer) - Carroburg/Karak Norn/Badlands/MS
Xeyron (Magus), Antyria (DoK), Antyrai(Witch Elf) - Karak Norn/MS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], reece1414 and 2 guests