Recent Topics

Ads

Meta rift magus build

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Malecus

Meta rift magus build

Post#1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:11 pm

What is the current meta build for rift magus? What should i build with my reknown and talismans? What morales and tactics are used?

Ads
Nrrrdking

Re: Meta rift magus build

Post#2 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 am

*crickets*

There's your answer

Malecus

Post#3 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:10 am

Nrrrdking wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 am *crickets*

There's your answer
Haha, Ive noticed! Bummer since I loved rift in retail.

Nrrrdking

Post#4 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:07 pm

I have been running a rift magus for a little while but recently switched to Havoc until I can get geared properly (so much grinding). I ran Demonology spec in retail but that's even more useless now than it used to be.

Honestly though, if you can find a good guild that uses discord and they're willing to let you go through the growing pains of coordinating rift play then rift magus can be fun and wild. It's a lot of heavy lifting from other players though as you need a good healbot on you, lots of melee AoE, etc. Most players would rather work in smaller groups instead of coordinating around what is basically a one-trick-pony.

If the rift magus had a few more tools to deal real damage or control enemies then I think they would be seen more in the wild. All in all Magus is not really popular in the meta at ALL. If you don't want to do RvR zerg or SC PuGs at 40 then you might want to consider switching to Sorc which has a lot more use in endgame meta.

amputationsaw

Post#5 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 pm

i only play rift on my lvl 34 magus for SCs bc close combat is on the line there and the output is pretty descent. tho, while firestorm is still buggy for under lvl40, i will still go havoc for rvr and rift for SCs

Starx

Post#6 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 am

Rift is a niche spec for a niche class

It's good at keeps/forts, the way to look at it is rift is an anti morale tool. Everytime you rift anything through a choke its pretty much dead, ya they will just get ressed but thing is they lost all their morale, after a few minutes your side has built m4's and they might of lost an entire warband worth of m4's. But rift outside this is pretty lackluster, i've tried making it work in scens but on engineer with prenerf BW AoE and it was fun but that was back in early t4 now 3-2-1 groups just dont work in small scale the melee train reigns supreme.

Rift often is just clumsy and not needed for open field fights, requires the rift magus to pretty much have a guard. Use a lot of weird tactics like mounting up and running in to get as deep as possible to actually pull something useful, using your AoE root to give out immunities to the frontline so you dont pull tanks in, constantly sitting on and building range stacks w/ demon etc...

Magus just in general suffers from being a class that has serious diminishing returns on stacking more than 1 in a warband. This is a problem a lot of classes have but im not gonna go off an a rant about those.

Magus has an AoE spirit debuff, which helps with sorc AoE damage (more than engineer helps BW). But really 1 magus can cover this job alone theres no need to run more than 1. Engineer has pierce defenses which is insanely powerful tho. And same case there you dont need more than 1 engineer for pierce defenses.

Magus also has the best CC on destro, but when you're playing a game with 30 sec immunity timers its a big YIKES (This is why magus got such a massive unheard of buff on live w/ 20% just flat damage from demon because they were absolutely trashed by the CC patch harder than any other class).

Could keep going but you get the idea, magus doesn't have the raw damage to compete with things like sorc, it's utility is covered by just having 1 in a warband (if they even want it) so the spots for magus are extremely competitive if you are playing magus you better really be playing magus, putting the time in to get as good as possible getting the gear so you actually do compete for those very limited spots if they even exist.

Again for rift, you dont really have to gear out much different. Try to get a guard and you'll be fine. If you want to try a tankier spec just remember you cant really afford to lose much int due to disrupt being your mortal enemy but you can if you want forgo crit for more investment in things like futile strikes, avoidance, more hp etc... Just bring rift to the appropriate content and destro will love you for it and it should be enjoyable. Don't bring it out for scens or general gameplay.

Ruscour

Post#7 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:51 am

Starx wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 am Rift is a niche spec for a niche class

It's good at keeps/forts, the way to look at it is rift is an anti morale tool. Everytime you rift anything through a choke its pretty much dead, ya they will just get ressed but thing is they lost all their morale, after a few minutes your side has built m4's and they might of lost an entire warband worth of m4's. But rift outside this is pretty lackluster, i've tried making it work in scens but on engineer with prenerf BW AoE and it was fun but that was back in early t4 now 3-2-1 groups just dont work in small scale the melee train reigns supreme.

Rift often is just clumsy and not needed for open field fights, requires the rift magus to pretty much have a guard. Use a lot of weird tactics like mounting up and running in to get as deep as possible to actually pull something useful, using your AoE root to give out immunities to the frontline so you dont pull tanks in, constantly sitting on and building range stacks w/ demon etc...

Magus just in general suffers from being a class that has serious diminishing returns on stacking more than 1 in a warband. This is a problem a lot of classes have but im not gonna go off an a rant about those.

Magus has an AoE spirit debuff, which helps with sorc AoE damage (more than engineer helps BW). But really 1 magus can cover this job alone theres no need to run more than 1. Engineer has pierce defenses which is insanely powerful tho. And same case there you dont need more than 1 engineer for pierce defenses.

Magus also has the best CC on destro, but when you're playing a game with 30 sec immunity timers its a big YIKES (This is why magus got such a massive unheard of buff on live w/ 20% just flat damage from demon because they were absolutely trashed by the CC patch harder than any other class).

Could keep going but you get the idea, magus doesn't have the raw damage to compete with things like sorc, it's utility is covered by just having 1 in a warband (if they even want it) so the spots for magus are extremely competitive if you are playing magus you better really be playing magus, putting the time in to get as good as possible getting the gear so you actually do compete for those very limited spots if they even exist.

Again for rift, you dont really have to gear out much different. Try to get a guard and you'll be fine. If you want to try a tankier spec just remember you cant really afford to lose much int due to disrupt being your mortal enemy but you can if you want forgo crit for more investment in things like futile strikes, avoidance, more hp etc... Just bring rift to the appropriate content and destro will love you for it and it should be enjoyable. Don't bring it out for scens or general gameplay.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about leveling a Magus for WB play but unsure if it'd be viable with high ping. Knockbacks are pretty much impossible to aim given the delay I have, do you think that would ruin my ability to hit good rifts? Or is it less about hitting the exact perfect rift and more about having proper coordination with your WB to follow up
ruscur - RR6x Shaman <Art of Execution>
From Australia or nearby countries less cool? Join our Asia Pacific discord community!