Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
User avatar
blasras
Posts: 15

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#1 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:29 pm

I'm just starting to understand how progression works in the game, and from what I'm finding in the forum posts Magus is not desired in wb's for the content in the game that rewards the best gear? I been mostly making inquiries in the advice channel and getting mixed responses that make me confused. This game seems to require a moderate to heavy time investment to progress which I'm acquainted from similar titles in the genre, but if class elitism is pushed to the extent where certain classes don't even get a chance to acquire the best gear I'm heavily worried of playing non meta picks.

Any input appreciated, I've done a fair share of scenarios and RvR with various classes, and magus was probably the most enjoyable so far, but I'm not sure I want to invest more time to it if I won't have a future in the late game content.

Thanks for your time.

Ads
Foofmonger
Posts: 298

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:48 pm

blasras wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:29 pm
I'm just starting to understand how progression works in the game, and from what I'm finding in the forum posts Magus is not desired in wb's for the content in the game that rewards the best gear? I been mostly making inquiries in the advice channel and getting mixed responses that make me confused. This game seems to require a moderate to heavy time investment to progress which I'm acquainted from similar titles in the genre, but if class elitism is pushed to the extent where certain classes don't even get a chance to acquire the best gear I'm heavily worried of playing non meta picks.

Any input appreciated, I've done a fair share of scenarios and RvR with various classes, and magus was probably the most enjoyable so far, but I'm not sure I want to invest more time to it if I won't have a future in the late game content.

Thanks for your time.
Here's where your confusion stems from:

Bad WBs will take Magus into City because they don't know what they are doing.
Medicore WB's won't take a Magus into City because they don't know what they are doing but they think they do.
Good WB's will take Magus into City because they know what they are doing.

(Basically, you are getting a mix of responses from players who may or may not know the answer)

Magus is not "useless" for end game content, but it's not exactly "spammable" either. Generally speaking, 1 is enough for a city WB, maybe 2 if you are running some interesting set ups. No, you don't want all 8 of your city DPS to be Maguses.

A single daemonlogy/rift Magus in an AoE comp in a City WB is almost never "a bad thing". I've seen non-rift changing Magii top/lead damage charts. Had a city a few days back where our Magus got ranged champ cause they were top DPS (in an organized setting ofc).

MedV
Posts: 175

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#3 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 pm

Foofmonger wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:48 pm
blasras wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:29 pm
I'm just starting to understand how progression works in the game, and from what I'm finding in the forum posts Magus is not desired in wb's for the content in the game that rewards the best gear? I been mostly making inquiries in the advice channel and getting mixed responses that make me confused. This game seems to require a moderate to heavy time investment to progress which I'm acquainted from similar titles in the genre, but if class elitism is pushed to the extent where certain classes don't even get a chance to acquire the best gear I'm heavily worried of playing non meta picks.

Any input appreciated, I've done a fair share of scenarios and RvR with various classes, and magus was probably the most enjoyable so far, but I'm not sure I want to invest more time to it if I won't have a future in the late game content.

Thanks for your time.
Here's where your confusion stems from:

Bad WBs will take Magus into City because they don't know what they are doing.
Medicore WB's won't take a Magus into City because they don't know what they are doing but they think they do.
Good WB's will take Magus into City because they know what they are doing.

(Basically, you are getting a mix of responses from players who may or may not know the answer)

Magus is not "useless" for end game content, but it's not exactly "spammable" either. Generally speaking, 1 is enough for a city WB, maybe 2 if you are running some interesting set ups. No, you don't want all 8 of your city DPS to be Maguses.

A single daemonlogy/rift Magus in an AoE comp in a City WB is almost never "a bad thing". I've seen non-rift changing Magii top/lead damage charts. Had a city a few days back where our Magus got ranged champ cause they were top DPS (in an organized setting ofc).
Magus is one of the worst classes in the game. You have a couple jobs.

AOE Funnel
ST spec
Rift bot

Magii usually can get champ in Cities bec all SHs play Melee and honestly why play a sorc when BW is so much better.
Your pet dies before you actually get it up most of the time due to aoe spam in city.
If you like rdps go play BW and thank me in 6 months.
Honestly too many to count

Starx
Posts: 279

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#4 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am

Magus doesn't suck, it's a subpar class and usually when you do city its on your main. Good players typically aren't going to waste months gearing up a magus in city because... why? So now you got a subpar class, mostly played by people with brain damage looking for city warbands and they just aren't going to get invites because DPS slots in pick up groups are extremely competitive and anyone with a room temp IQ knows its better to take a chance on literally any other rando DPS class than magus.

You need to have a good guild/alliance that's willing to take you into city on magus, and you also need a 2nd option usually a friend network because as we all know city can happen anytime maybe your guild doesn't have a wb up at 4am so what can you do?

I'm lucky enough maining magus on destro that I have a guild that is willing to take me to city, knowing I can actually play the class to it's full potential (which is still a shitty version of sorc) and a few ppl outside of my guild that I can get invites to warbands on. IF I didnt have this I'd probably quit magus as im at the mercy of /5 pugs and no one is taking a magus if they don't have too for reasons stated above.

Magus just has really bad AoE when you don't have a chokepoint, because you start having to use filler skills and your ground target AoE's aren't even a fraction as potent. Magus by far, its not even a question have the absolute WORST filler AoE skill(s) of any destro DPS class. If you are getting out dps'ed by a magus, idc what class you are on it's because you are bad or you aren't trying. Sure I've beaten really good sorcs and mara's in one off cities where I cheesed the **** out of pve mobs and sweated hard but 9/10 if those guys are trying im gonna be doing 20-30% less damage every time.

geezereur
Posts: 371

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#5 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 am

Whats the best pug city siege spec for magus? Rift or Changing?

Zxul
Posts: 714

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#6 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 am

Starx wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am
Magus just has really bad AoE when you don't have a chokepoint, because you start having to use filler skills and your ground target AoE's aren't even a fraction as potent. Magus by far, its not even a question have the absolute WORST filler AoE skill(s) of any destro DPS class. If you are getting out dps'ed by a magus, idc what class you are on it's because you are bad or you aren't trying. Sure I've beaten really good sorcs and mara's in one off cities where I cheesed the **** out of pve mobs and sweated hard but 9/10 if those guys are trying im gonna be doing 20-30% less damage every time.
Btw why magus filler skills are considered so bad? Been quite some time since I played mine, but I do remember Gleam for spirit debuff+Lash spam working very fine for filler aoe in daem/change spec.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

User avatar
Telen
Suspended
Posts: 2545
Contact:

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#7 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Problem for magus is they got cucked by GttC
Image

diskmagus
Posts: 14

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#8 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm

magus is fun for keep defence and thats it i think, sorc/bw can do the same he can better without depending on pet, the only plus for magus is they are more durable, but that does not matter on city, also rift usually pulls the enemy tanks and maybe one mdps, so its kind of a fun skill to have but at the sane time pretty useless due to rng

Ads
Tankbeardz
Posts: 599

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#9 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Telen wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:50 pm
Problem for magus is they got cucked by GttC
Nah..its the pet.

User avatar
drmordread
Posts: 903

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#10 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Right now, no matter what, there only two ranged classes wanted in destro WB, which makes Destro more efficient, as Order only has one.

Unless you are a Sorc, or a Squig Herder they don't want you. And if you play a Squig Herder they only want you if you are Melee specced.

Sorc has that amazing crit bonus (as does the BW on Order), that always makes it desired. it can do AoE, and Single Target (ST), better than anything else on Destro. It is mobile, and easy to play, (too easy imo).

In my opinion, the Magus is the premiere Ranged. Has long distance (longer than sorc and way longer than MSqH), can scoot in drop killer AoE, and scoot back to its flamer, has decent cc (very few magus know to play this). Rift is awesome, but only comes into its own in stage 3 of city. A wb leader that knows what they are doing will always have one to two magus in their city wb.

Consider your self lucky though. At least you dont play a Witch Elf. No one wants those, even in the lakes.
Image
Morrdread Ladydread Kickyerbutt Tamorrah Whisperrss SutSut Amniell
Lolyou Tahw Fortuna Sarissa Yiorrrgos
(and eight more to keep you guessing)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests