Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Xae
Posts: 11

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#71 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Magus needs the same thing its needed since they took it away 13 years ago: a healing debuff.

Ads
User avatar
xruptor
Posts: 62

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#72 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Weird my close friend is enjoying his Magus and hasn't complained about it. He think it's a great class, granted he isn't at endgame content but I figured they would be pretty useful for their AOE's and such. He also does quite a bit of damage.

Orontes
Posts: 198

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#73 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:26 pm

xruptor wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm
Weird my close friend is enjoying his Magus and hasn't complained about it. He think it's a great class, granted he isn't at endgame content but I figured they would be pretty useful for their AOE's and such. He also does quite a bit of damage.
Magus is a great class. All three mastery lines or foci are viable. My magus is rr 86. I've never had any issues with getting WB, or instance spots, or being able to accomplish whatever the desired goal was: getting kills or otherwise. The negativity is from the ignorant.

User avatar
xruptor
Posts: 62

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#74 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Orontes wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:26 pm
xruptor wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm
Weird my close friend is enjoying his Magus and hasn't complained about it. He think it's a great class, granted he isn't at endgame content but I figured they would be pretty useful for their AOE's and such. He also does quite a bit of damage.
Magus is a great class. All three mastery lines or foci are viable. My magus is rr 86. I've never had any issues with getting WB, or instance spots, or being able to accomplish whatever the desired goal was: getting kills or otherwise. The negativity is from the ignorant.
Yeah that's pretty much what I expected. Like I said he is doing pretty well for himself and is great. Does a nice deal of damage to boot as well. I never had any issues grouping up with him. I have a Magus myself and I do just fine in Scenarios and such. It's fun to play.

User avatar
madmatics
Posts: 12

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#75 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Running a 70+ magus myself and really enjoying both the AoE and ST playing-styles in oRvR and casual SC‘s.

Just fishing for some thoughts now. When it comes to ranked SC, what would the ‘meta‘ build be looking like? ST for the dmg spikes or rather a def spec around utility and survivability?

Tks

User avatar
oaliaen
Posts: 687

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#76 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

madmatics wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Running a 70+ magus myself and really enjoying both the AoE and ST playing-styles in oRvR and casual SC‘s.

Just fishing for some thoughts now. When it comes to ranked SC, what would the ‘meta‘ build be looking like? ST for the dmg spikes or rather a def spec around utility and survivability?

Tks

Dont go Full dmgtard or you're done in -0.5 seconds.
Silently we bide our time
Soon we'll pay you back
For all the wrongs you've done our kind
For the stabwounds in our backs

User avatar
martholomew
Posts: 112

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#77 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm going to disagree that all three masteries are 'viable' for Magus. Your guild/group wants you to be Rift spec (which is the most boring trash DPS rotation and throws you into harms way as a squishy caster) or they don't want you at all, from my personal experience. And, sadly, the theme seems like it isn't going to get any attention or adjustment or change, so I changed to another class.
Magus 40/78

User avatar
xruptor
Posts: 62

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#78 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:17 pm

martholomew wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm
I'm going to disagree that all three masteries are 'viable' for Magus. Your guild/group wants you to be Rift spec (which is the most boring trash DPS rotation and throws you into harms way as a squishy caster) or they don't want you at all, from my personal experience. And, sadly, the theme seems like it isn't going to get any attention or adjustment or change, so I changed to another class.
That is a really disheartening and discouraging to hear as my main is a Magus. I've been having lots of fun with him but if it's going to be like that later on, I may want to look elsewhere.

Ads
User avatar
Ekundu01
Posts: 229

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#79 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm

madmatics wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Running a 70+ magus myself and really enjoying both the AoE and ST playing-styles in oRvR and casual SC‘s.

Just fishing for some thoughts now. When it comes to ranked SC, what would the ‘meta‘ build be looking like? ST for the dmg spikes or rather a def spec around utility and survivability?

Tks
I attempted to try out rift spec in some ranked SCs and it just doesn't work, all i managed to do was piss off the people i got paired with. You can make yourself fairly tanky as a magus with a guard and heals but the damage you do needs to be enough to pull your weight as a dps. It is like going into ranked as a monstro mara and expect to get kills. I think aoe/rift magus could work in ranked if it was not all random players not on coms. Rift/aoe spec just breaks or screws up CC in ranked and right timed CC is what gets kills.

If you are going to do ranked i would probably run single target spec. We are still at a disadvantage with turret mechanics though since the turret is very squishy. I recently changed over to some single target fun over the weekend and I am securing way more kills vs just being an aoe junky that half my stuff gets cleansed off.
Trismack - Black Sheep

User avatar
martholomew
Posts: 112

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#80 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Ekundu01 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm
madmatics wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Running a 70+ magus myself and really enjoying both the AoE and ST playing-styles in oRvR and casual SC‘s.

Just fishing for some thoughts now. When it comes to ranked SC, what would the ‘meta‘ build be looking like? ST for the dmg spikes or rather a def spec around utility and survivability?

Tks
I attempted to try out rift spec in some ranked SCs and it just doesn't work, all i managed to do was piss off the people i got paired with. You can make yourself fairly tanky as a magus with a guard and heals but the damage you do needs to be enough to pull your weight as a dps. It is like going into ranked as a monstro mara and expect to get kills. I think aoe/rift magus could work in ranked if it was not all random players not on coms. Rift/aoe spec just breaks or screws up CC in ranked and right timed CC is what gets kills.

If you are going to do ranked i would probably run single target spec. We are still at a disadvantage with turret mechanics though since the turret is very squishy. I recently changed over to some single target fun over the weekend and I am securing way more kills vs just being an aoe junky that half my stuff gets cleansed off.
This^ 100%.

I have so much fun playing a single target sniping Magus, and I can just about completely erase someone I focus on, but joining a warband for a siege it seems they don't give a **** about that for some reason, and being the only Magus, and having people ask if I am Rift, and then either scold me or tell me they're removing me because I don't want to be Rift and they just totally need that one trick pony BS is really sucky and disheartening. Not everyone wants to be a Zealot, Chosen or Choppa.

All it would take to solve the problem is make Rift a baseline ability for all Magi, which is already one of the least played classes on the server, and it's definitely not an easy one to do right. Our counterpart has a much easier endgame experience than we do.
Magus 40/78

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests