Recent Topics

Ads

New player looking for a magus guide

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Vendials

New player looking for a magus guide

Post#1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 am

Hi, as the title said, i'm a new player and i love magus but i'm a bit lost, is there a guide up to date ?

Ads
phononHYPE

Re: New player looking for a magus guide

Post#2 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am

I've not seen a magus guide,but of course feel free to ask your questions.

Keep in mind what spec you are interested in:
Havoc (long distance sniping), basic build at CL40/rr40 RoR.builders - Magus

Changing (point blank aoe, pbaoe): RoR.builders - Magus

Deamonology (utility+pbaoe): RoR.builders - Magus

Notice common things in all three builds; generally you always get Aegis of Orange Fire from demon tree, and you'll almost always run the tactics Endless Knowledge + Chaotic Attunement for instant summons.

Magus is great as you can play so many different ways, from long range sniper (Havoc), to caster-tank (usually demonology). For caster tank, check out viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38573. Best of luck, you're going to have a blast!!
Last edited by phononHYPE on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Aezron

Post#3 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 pm

phononHYPE wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am I've not seen a magus guide,but of course feel free to ask your questions.

Keep in mind what spec you are interested in:
Havoc (long distance sniping), basic build at CL40/rr40 RoR.builders - Magus

Changing (point blank aoe, pbaoe): RoR.builders - Magus

Deamonology (utility+pbaoe): RoR.builders - Magus

Notice common things in all three builds; generally you always get Aegis of Orange Fire from demon tree, and you'll almost always run the tactics Endless Knowledge + Chaotic Attunement for instant summons.

Magus is great as you can play so many different ways, from long range sniper (Havoc), to caster-tank (usually demonology). For caster tank, check out viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38573. Best of luck, you're going to have a blast!!
I'm curious what you recommend as utility build, is it the rift build? Your link for Daemonology is the same as for Changing, but maybe that was on purpose?

phononHYPE

Post#4 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 pm

Was not on purpose, thanks for pointing it out (updated my deamonology link).

So rift build is what I favor, as it is best utility for solo, SC, keep, fort, and city. Yeah, I use same build in each place and it works wonders for my play style (gave up 87 choppa for magus basically). Using the deamonology build (set for 40/40), you load up on dots and keep them close via rift. At rr50 you get Lasting Chaos, then 60 and 70 just fill in the tree.

For SCs and solo, my tactics are INT+insta summon+Deamonic Contract and Deamonic Withering. If you can get a Deamonic Infestation (stun) off, drop your deamon if you don't have one, you can usually get 2 dots and a knock-back off and kite to win any solo situation. If your solo and hit upon a healer and can swap tactics fast enough, I've killed more (still not a lot mind you) healers with the extra AP than from the extra 15% damage.

The reallllly big take-away for magus, regardless of build, is learning which deamon to use. Aside from sniper pit, this is why all builds use Chaotic Attunement (instant summons). Extra note, depending on who you play with, your rr will shift slightly. I mainly solo so favor defense to offence, though you could easily swap that (I have slow connection, NA player, so I assume my ping will kill me more than my opponent). If your ping is good, or you have friends/guild to roll with, go more offensive.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Collision

Post#5 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm

For a solo (not 1vs1) playing this build is great :

RoR.builders - Magus

you have Path of Havoc for sniping solo target and long range aoe burst. Use pink horror for more range. Aoe burst : cast your 2 aoe dot, M2 Rolling winds and firestorm. All this burst can be do at 100ft range, very safe and nice dps, all your dots will tic with the 300 dmg/s from M2 and the dps of the storm. You can switch the ST crit tactic for the aoe crit if you prefer.