Recent Topics

Ads

[Marauder] Build guide

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Pandastyle

[Marauder] Build guide

Post#1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello all,
I thought it'd be nice to collect and share a little build guide for the mara for maybe new players looking for a class to play and give them a small help.
Some say mara is overpowered, some say its a shadow of its former self. Reaching rr85 I think it is in a quite good spot. Played bad it underperformes, played well its really good and dangerous. What I especially like about mara is the variety of builds. Some classes have maybe 2 or even just 1 viable specc. But mara has a couple which lead me to writing this small guide. I try to share

gear progression:
Spoiler:
sub rr40: full mercenary for the 5% crit

rr40+ : full conq for the full set bonuses. Try to get rr50 before you reach cr40, that way you get vanq meds right away and you may skip full conq. Beastlord cloak, ring and book.

rr40 - rr60: 3pcs conq / 3pcs vanq for the stat bonuses. Beastlord cloak, ring and book

rr60 - rr70: full vanq for the full set bonuses. Vanq set is actually quite good for mdps. +5% crit and +4% raw damage is very decent. at this point try to get as many genesis pieces as possible (of the warrior). Mix and match with beastlord set. good mix is 3pcs beastlord and 3pcs genesis.

rr70 - rr80: 4pcs inv / 3pcs warlord for stat bonuses. Once you get 4pcs warlord you can change to 3pcs inv / 4pcs warlord for the increased auto attack speed. at this point you can consider switching your beastlord ring and cloak with warlord or sov ring and cloak. try to get the sentinel ring and run sent ring, sov/warlord ring, fragment and aspect of warrior. this is BiS jewelry.

rr80+: now is the point where your preferences come to play. I went for 5pcs warlord / 3pcs offensive sov set first for the set bonuses. this requires rather less royal meds. with more progression you can switch to 5pcs offensive sov /3pcs warlord. You can also go with 2pcs conq (belt and boots), 2pcs sentinel (helmet and ring) and 5pcs offensive sov or 5pcs warlord. If you are keen to go the distance you can try to get the ranked triumphant set. Go for triumphant belt and boots.

pve: the recently added Hunters Vale set (requires full Beastlord) is quite decent for mdps. But I was already in sov when it came out so I dont have much experience with it. The full set bonuses look quite good for exemple for the early rr50s to rr60s until you get vanq. I also dont have the complete Bloodlord set so this is not considered here.

weapons: rr39 scenario weapons -> rr45 sc weapons -> subjugator weapons -> fortress / rr61 weapons -> rr61 weapon / bloodlord chaosaxe
rr points progression:
Spoiler:
Note: these are just my recommendations. Especially in the earlier rr levels you can mix with some stats or go more defensive with more parry or more dodge and disrupt. Just look how it feels to play your mara. If you die too fast maybe go more defensive. If you play frequently with tank and healers maybe go more offensive.

rr35: rr35
rr40: rr40
rr50: rr50
rr60: rr60
rr70: rr70
rr80: rr80.1 (more offensive) or rr80.2 (more defensive)
(rvr) Beginner aoe:
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: low tier
playstyle: this is the build people say is the 2 bottons brainless monstro mara. Basically follow and assist the main assist and aoe around target. With low gear be carefull because Feeding on fear tactic makes you susceptible to crits. Detaunt often and use Ferocious Assault if you get focused to boost toughness. Be attentive to your surroundings. Dont hit tanks and try to get to the back line to aoe KD and aoe.
When you get more rr and gear get Wave of Mutiliation and put more points into monstro. You CAN take guillotine but I find it in a wb setting better to just do more dmg in the blob.
(sc) beginner sc sav:
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: low tier (conq+), rr50+
playstyle: take another dps you want to support and assist, best is to mark him/her and debuff the target. put heal debuff (tainted claw) and armour debuff (cutting claw) and cover with rend, wounds debuff (thounderous blow), snare (debilitate). I deliberately didnt take guillotine from brut tree because fresh maras may not be too prone to stance dance so you can stay in one stance the whole time. keep an eye out for your heal debuff. with tactic deadly clutch you can spam it (10s duration, 5s cooldown).
If you are not rr50 yet, take out 2 points from sav and get brut finisher and the ap drain (draining swipe) from sav. with rr60 you can either take finisher or ap drain and on rr70 you take the other respective skill. with better gear you can swap strength tactic for e.g. Feeding on fear for the extra crit if you have a decent team or take jagged edge or flanking for some extra dps-
(sc) beginner sc brut:
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: low tier (conq+), rr50+
playstyle: just as every sc dps build: look for a decent support dps and assist of him/her (pls dont hit tanks). open up with impale and/or snare (debilate) to trigger deeply impaled tactic. try to get behind the target to benefit from the armour ignore in impale which is your main attack. on high parry targets hit it with pulverize after impale to reduce parry. try to get the target under 50% then finish with guillotine and/or Wave of terror.
Wave of terror is also a good opener because it is aoe and has a 30ft range. so use it to get a first big hit on target or use it when the target is trying to flee with low hp. you can also catch fleeing targets with aoe kd (concussive jolt) but be careful to not give unneccessary free immunities!
at rr40 this build is not really viable yet but if you really want to play it you can take out Mutated aggressor and get Mutated aggressor once you hit rr50. At rr60 and rr70 I just put more points into brut tree to increase the tooltip damage of my skills. with better gear take out strenght tactic and I recommend to go for flanking as it synergizes well with impale and you high tooltip damage skills
(Fort) aoe:
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: mid-tier to endgame, rr70+
playstyle: this is a build for stage 3 of fort fights. On countdown pop Ferocious assault for toughness boost and anti-snare. then pop Mutated aggressor and push in. close combat tactic will make that you survive longer in lord room, coupled with monstro proc you'll be very tanky. Subvert strenght tactic makes that you dont stand in the middle of lord room without AP. Morale drop on squishys or on main assist target. Use aoe interrupt (mouth of tzeentch) on cooldown on the healer/backline.
(City) aoe:
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: mid-tier to endgame, rr70+
playstyle: The playstyle is similar to rvr aoe. Stay with your main assist and focus aoe around target. Aoe KD (concussive jolt) and morale drop on call. Ferocious assault for toughness boost. Always kite towards your tank/your blob if you get focused. Mutated aggressor for building pressure. If you are skilled enough to stance dance, get low hp targets with guillotine.
Last tactic slot can vary on comp and enemy. I had good results with subvert strenght because then I almost dont need to think about AP. You can also use jagged edge for extra dps if you run high enough crit. If your gear is kinda low and you dont have that much crit go for flanking and try to get targets from behind or sides. You can also take the last skillpoint to get either Insane Whispers (aoe disorient) or crushing blows (morale stopper). Less damage but more utility.
(city/sc) sav debuff/support build
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: endgame, rr70+
playstyle: this build requires endgame gear because you need enought str to be softcapped withouth strength tactic!
This build is for ST city grp. Use this when your second dps has good burst and/or no heal debuff (sorc or squig, some WE). Use the heal debuff (tainted claw) often, it only has 5s cd after all. Debuff targets and finish with guillotine. Focus on low armour targets and use debuffs like snare or rend after heal debuff (tainted claw) and armour debuff (cutting claw) to cover them so they dont get cleansed that fast If you cant get the target low fast, switch targets. Ofc some persistance is key but if you and your second dps are hitting on a runi which isnt going below 80% you wont get it to 0% either, so switch targets.
(city/sc) brutality dps
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: endgame, rr70+
playstyle: this build requires endgame gear because you need softcapped str without str tactic.
Use this build if your grp comp provides a reliable heal and armour debuff. E.g. with a BO/BG and WE or SH. Start with impale to get the deeply impaled debuff on the target and burst it down with Convulsive slashing and Impale/pulverise canceling. Use Wave of terror as opener or finisher on fleeing targets. You can also use aoe KD (concussive jolt) to catch kiting targets but be careful to not give free immunities! If pressured you can switch to monstro for monstro proc or for the occasional pressure on enemy blob.
(meme) the succ
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: Warlord 7pc for proc, rr70+
playstyle: this is more of a meme specc. I used it once or twice in city. best used with a chosen with AP aura guarding you. Go into backline and spam aoe for ap drain tactic and warlord set procs. your damage will be rather low but thats not the point of this build anyway.
(meme) the succ (morale edition)
Spoiler:
RoR.builders - Marauder

gear/rr: Warlord 7pc for proc, rr70+
playstyle: another variant of the succ specc. Best used with a choppa for the reduced cooldown for stance dancing (as chop fasta also reduces the cd of stances) and a chosen with AP aura guarding you for the addtional AP drain. Spam wrecking ball and aoe on blob for morale stop and ap drain tactics trigger. switch to Wave of terror on CD for morale drain.
(meme) cookie cutter deluxe
Spoiler:
coming soon
(meme) solo roam
Spoiler:
coming soon
Feel free to add or comment on the builds.
I hope this helps :)
Last edited by Pandastyle on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
85 Mara
80 Choppa
80 Zealot

Ads
Ozur

Re: [Marauder] Build guide

Post#2 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi ty for the help as a new player it s really worth it :D

onholiday

Post#3 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:52 pm

Helpful indeed! Thanks! Could use some builds that aren't rr70+ endgame gear though. There is a TON of playing that happens between rr40 and rr70 with full Sov.

Pandastyle

Post#4 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:55 pm

thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately many builds and the mara in general becomes really viable with high rr and high gear.
Nevertheless I added two low tier sc builds I ran when leveling.
I will also add a gear and rr points progression guide and another meme specc later but now I am too tired.
85 Mara
80 Choppa
80 Zealot

priestxes

Post#5 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Can you add more to the RR progression? Should we be focused on offensive or defensive stats?

EuphoricAnguish

Post#6 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks for the hard work so far, but can you please include ability names instead of saying "such and such debuff"?

facundo7777

Post#7 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:18 pm

which one is for solo roaming?

Pandastyle

Post#8 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:18 pm

thanks a lot for the feedback. I am glad to help some new or returning maras.

-added skill, ability and tactics names to the most. If something is still unclear let me know.
-added gear progression
-added rr points progression
-will provide the cookie cutter deluxe and the solo roam build later.
85 Mara
80 Choppa
80 Zealot

Ads
Tillirage

Post#9 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:28 am

Really helpful guide. Used it on my mara during leveling. Thank you for helping and sharing your guide. :D

Edit: What talisman would you suggest for aoe spec?
Last edited by Tillirage on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Automation

Post#10 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:10 am

Basically youre rotation is this: snare/rend/both, wounds debuff, armor debuff, hd - swap stance - spam impale/guilo - stance back to sav - same thing
I personally dont take wounds debuff and use draining swipe + wave of terror.
My rotation usually is snare/rend, armor debuff, hd, draining swipe, stance swap, brut spam till cds from sav are back up/situational if target is low.
When you take high pressure you swap to monstro and keep the monstro proc up till youre fine again
RoR.builders - Marauder
RR build is 3x fs, 1-2 crit i think, ini till youre around the 260-270 ini mark unbuffed, rest in dodge/disrupt
Im rr71 so i run invader but i think once youre in sov, youre dmg will go up like a mofo
Impale is youre bread n butter.
I always play mara with this mindstate, sav for debuffing, building up youre dmg into impale spam.
I rarely use sav spammers other then to hide sav debuffs with rend