Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] What would make magus be beter in WB play

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Keldo

[Magus] What would make magus be beter in WB play

Post#1 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 am

Hi there.
As the title of the post indicates i want to find out what would make magus more desirable in WB play?

In my opinion the class is so close in being there, the dmg is good(ish) not BW or sorc levels but close, has lots of utility and is more survivable than be4 mentioned BW and Sorc.
Would a simple change of increasing the range of the pet's aura be the fix?
As the moving nature of RoR i feel like the range is really limiting. Increasing it would make you feel you can move alot more with your Wb/sc party, without it being really OP.

What are you guys thought about this?

Greetings.

Ads
SepticDisaster

Re: [Magus] What would make magus be beter in WB play

Post#2 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:35 am

I think daemon mechanic range should be further than 30ft, 50ft+ would be helpful. Giving Warpfire some relevant damage would go a long way towards helping Magi join in on the pbaoe organized warband meta.

Ruin

Post#3 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:39 am

Hello,
I’d say that problem with Magus and also Engi, and they desirability in Warbands is mainly blocked by the restriction to only have 1 of them in warband because of Mist/Phosforus and Firestrorm/Napalm not stacking, so having 2 of that class in WB is less effective. This ONE thing is what makes Maguses and Engis undesirable. Not having a universal WB build that any of those classes can spec and not have their damage gimped if 1 more of the same class joins, would make a big difference.

Second thing is the stationary nature of the class, you can try and do a instant summon tactic but then you’re stuck with a 3 tactic class, and artificial restriction and instant handicap.

Last thing I would like to add is that the demon/turret damage %, in My opinion is a big problem regarding the balance for the class.
Haw to fix it?
I’d say remove the damage % increase from summons, make summons provide 2 unique features buffs, and readjust the skill damage accordingly. Having that generic 20% damage buff is the worst.

Phantasm

Post#4 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:18 pm

Or follow philosophy of loner tactic for WL/SH and add extra features to existing skills when "magus loner tactic is sloted" to compensate lack of 4th tactic. No need to rebuild any skills.
Replace Deamonic Pact tactic to "Loner" but keep toughness buff (self crit for engi). Extra features can be ap regen within range but not bound to party, instacast skills from Deamonology tree (rift + Agonizing Torrent - magnet + Lightning Rod).

Caduceus

Post#5 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:51 pm

In my opinion, Magus and Engineer can already be very potent in warband play due to their invaluable mine ability.

The issue is that very few Magus/Engineer seem to utilize it effectively, and warbands tend to severely underrate the effectiveness of the mine.

Ontop of that, Magus/Engineer should be able to put out pretty high damage, and even if a lot of that may be fluff, the pressure it exerts is still a factor to take into account.

With that said, in my opinion the magnet ability needs to be buffed to be able to pull more enemies. In its current state it's just neutered and gimmicky. I think Magus/Engineer current state of popularity warrants a slight buff to this ability.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Tesq

Post#6 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:25 pm

Accepting you arent a sorc bw and you can also not spec full crits, by run warlord and have access to max build potential rather than best dmg potential.

Aka

Firestorm
Mist
Pul

In one build while doing less dmg. (Alao get free cool appereance meanwhile)

kirraha

Post#7 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:16 pm

Used be magusplayer, but compared to most dps in ORVR, the magus is very unviable due to you rly being able to move around as much with your pet in a smooth way. Ofc everything can be done if you rly want to play the class. But why the effort when other classes lash higher amount of dmg, easier to play and no need to resummon your pet every 5second. :)

Maybe if AOE had some kind of mechanic with no pet, but the pet is kinda the point with magus

Cyrylius

Post#8 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 pm

There's also the fact that magus was, last time I saw any statistics, the least popular class on the server. Other than that I don't think magus needs any changes, its a class designed around sieges and it performs possibly the best out of anything else in game in those. It can do amazing in prolonged stationary fights, and then you have the elephant in the room that you can't do much if you keep chasing or retreating (damage wise). Why do you want to change that? Not every class must be viable in every situation, as shown by stealth classes which have even less use. Magus can do well in large scale fights, has viable ST snipe builds and according to some best solo spec. I don't think we need to make it even more flexible by making it also reach sorc levels of damage in fast paced fights considering its already decent in those, and doing so could make them an actual balance issue in keeps where they already ramp up absolutely crazy damage.
I do think that engi could be buffed a bit, to make the mirror more even. But, again, engi is not an unpopular class by any means, so this is not something devs can "just" so with no prior consideration.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Ads
Whyumadbro

Post#9 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:55 pm

magus and engi need a zero summon time perma tactic that would help a lot, a slight dmg increase would help a lot.
Maybe some unique buffs to wb :D

malmar

Post#10 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 am

Just remove that demon buff from demon and put it permanently on player. Game is not meant to be played static. Also for wb play both classes need some spammable medium ranged (40 of 60ft) aoe attack to compete with melee aoe spammers.