Recent Topics

Ads

[WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
immdev
Posts: 16

[WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#1 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:52 pm

I don't really understand how I should play WE. I'm still low level and I already have a hard time. I bought str and weapon skill rvr gear, bought str talis and I use -heal kiss. Still I can't kill a healer. I just did a sc where I hit WP for 90 damage. Even with heal debuff he outhealed everything with one cast. Of course I can't kill tanks, melee or ranged classes if someone heal them. I dealt 100k damage and got zero kills. Every time I'm getting close to kill someone tank punt+snare me and I die. I understand I'm not supposed to live long without toughness gear, but I don't feel like I deal enough damage for glass canon. Is that normal? Maybe it's just low level and later it will be better.

Ads
User avatar
Martok
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#2 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:30 pm

immdev wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:52 pm
I don't really understand how I should play WE. I'm still low level and I already have a hard time. I bought str and weapon skill rvr gear, bought str talis and I use -heal kiss. Still I can't kill a healer. I just did a sc where I hit WP for 90 damage. Even with heal debuff he outhealed everything with one cast. Of course I can't kill tanks, melee or ranged classes if someone heal them. I dealt 100k damage and got zero kills. Every time I'm getting close to kill someone tank punt+snare me and I die. I understand I'm not supposed to live long without toughness gear, but I don't feel like I deal enough damage for glass canon. Is that normal? Maybe it's just low level and later it will be better.

Couple of points, I guess. What level are you currently?

If you are pugging SC's, look early to see if any effort is made by the other players to organize in any fashion, such as someone placing Guard on you or balancing the tanks and healers or placing assist. If those do not happen, stay out of the scrum because you will get no support. Stay on the edge and look for someone low on health to pop on and kill, and then bounce out again. As a WE, trying to lead the charge or simply be in front trying to kill things can be quite counter-productive if the other players in the SC make no effort to support the cause. In that situation, you are better off alone.

Look at your armor-penetration as well. As you grow your damage will increase, however playing a WE is as much about philosophy as it is about design. You can be the death-dealing little witch everybody hates if you have the proper backup. If you don't, patience is your greatest weapon.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

immdev
Posts: 16

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#3 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:36 pm

Martok wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:30 pm
immdev wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:52 pm
I don't really understand how I should play WE. I'm still low level and I already have a hard time. I bought str and weapon skill rvr gear, bought str talis and I use -heal kiss. Still I can't kill a healer. I just did a sc where I hit WP for 90 damage. Even with heal debuff he outhealed everything with one cast. Of course I can't kill tanks, melee or ranged classes if someone heal them. I dealt 100k damage and got zero kills. Every time I'm getting close to kill someone tank punt+snare me and I die. I understand I'm not supposed to live long without toughness gear, but I don't feel like I deal enough damage for glass canon. Is that normal? Maybe it's just low level and later it will be better.

Couple of points, I guess. What level are you currently?

If you are pugging SC's, look early to see if any effort is made by the other players to organize in any fashion, such as someone placing Guard on you or balancing the tanks and healers or placing assist. If those do not happen, stay out of the scrum because you will get no support. Stay on the edge and look for someone low on health to pop on and kill, and then bounce out again. As a WE, trying to lead the charge or simply be in front trying to kill things can be quite counter-productive if the other players in the SC make no effort to support the cause. In that situation, you are better off alone.

Look at your armor-penetration as well. As you grow your damage will increase, however playing a WE is as much about philosophy as it is about design. You can be the death-dealing little witch everybody hates if you have the proper backup. If you don't, patience is your greatest weapon.
I understand idea about a guard and support. I'm trying to pick targets already attacked by other melees, because my own damage is not enough to kill even half hp healer, guess they all run toughness builds. I'm just finishing T1, so I don't have restealth yet.

User avatar
Martok
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#4 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:39 pm

immdev wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:36 pm
I'm just finishing T1, so I don't have restealth yet.
Leveling through the lower tiers will be rough at times, but the end game is worth the effort. Here is a suggested build for once you hit rank 40:

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5604,5601

Once you move up into the fifties of renown rank, this is a good follow-on build:

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5606,5612

Different Witch Elves employ different builds, of course, just as with any other class, and therefore the advice you will/might get will vary. Primarily I do and/or promote philosophy of play, as in the video linked below. However:

One suggestion would be to stack wounds combined with all the escape tools you can gather, and play the hit and run.

Toughness builds, at least in my opinion, are not worth worrying about on a WE. One can accomplish the same end by stacking Parry combined with Weapon Skill and a bit of Dodge and Disrupt.

When you hit Rank 40 Witchbrew spec is quite viable, once you get the timing down. On Your Knees spec, and even Witchbrew, is good for solo roaming (the best part of this game).

This illustrates the Witchbrew Build, which is what I am currently using: https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,6050,5612

This illustrates the OYK's Build: https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5639,2991

Do the PVE dungeons, Gunbad because you have to, C&T because you have to, and then the Bastion Stair to get the Bloodlord weapon. However Sentinel Gear is pretty good for a crit damage build. Getting your percent to critically hit up to at least 30 is an achievable goal.

There are more links for various Witch Elf builds to be found in the Dark Elf sub-forum. In the meantime...



Click here to watch on YouTube
Last edited by Martok on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Sulorie
Posts: 6547

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#5 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 am

Martok wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:39 pm

If you can eventually get this set-up: Absorb Tactic plus defensive proc from Doomflayer/Warpforged gear and the Land Of The Dead talisman for the off-hand dagger, you can absorb a decent percentage of incoming damage.
Did you use a time machine and came from the past? :)
Dying is no option.

User avatar
Martok
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#6 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:55 am

Sulorie wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 am
Martok wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:39 pm

If you can eventually get this set-up: Absorb Tactic plus defensive proc from Doomflayer/Warpforged gear and the Land Of The Dead talisman for the off-hand dagger, you can absorb a decent percentage of incoming damage.
Did you use a time machine and came from the past? :)

Yeah, thanks for noticing.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Arla
Posts: 36

Re: [WE] ABC of witch gameplay

Post#7 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:08 am

Don't worry, you will be overpowered soon enough

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests