Recent Topics

Ads

Offtank dps : 2H Blackguard or Black Orc SnB?

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Kyran

Offtank dps : 2H Blackguard or Black Orc SnB?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi everyone,

So I want to lvl up an "offtank dps" if you know what I mean. I levled both BG and BO to lvl 10 and both of their gameplay is cool for me (even if BO's one seems more "dynamic"). Same for the style, i love DE and I love the clunky aspect of the BO.

The thing is I did some research on the forum and it looks like everyone is saying that BO does more damage, he also has the advantage to carry a shield (block chance, hold the lane,...), and he has more utility for a group than the 2H BG (ok he has that 10% crit buff aoe but that's all, isn't it...?).

So is there a point to play a BG rather than a BO for a "tanky dps" in every aspect of the game (PVE/RVR/6man/SC)? Or is the BO better in every way?

PS : English is not my native language, so sorry for the mistakes.

Ads
ragafury

Re: Offtank dps : 2H Blackguard or Black Orc SnB?

Post#2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:44 pm

... doesn't double the quality of awnsers. :)
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Aurandilaz

Post#3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 pm

BO is better in most of ways, BG is kinda niche, it's nice for smallscale, but even for proper group scale, the other tanks are just better. You don't even want a BG for a proper WB. BO is meanwhile good in smallscale, groupscale and even on warband scale.
Good BG players exist, but the class in itself is "bleh"-tier, a ST debuffer/buffer for a group? Nah, better take a tank that helps whole party.

Kyran

Post#4 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks for the answers guys, and sorry for the double post, i thought speaking to both orcs and DE will give me differents views and more chance to get a good answer ;)

Anyway, everyone (both DE and orcs) seems to prefer BO over BG.

Jaycub

Post#5 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm

If not for skullthumper 2h BG would be on par if not better than BO dps output.

I think RR70 BG (access to AoE snare in 2h build) is competitive with BO. BG isn't anywhere near as bad as it was though thanks to buffs and morale tactic nerfs. I mean you would literally get yelled at it you tried to play one in serious premades.

It still has hosts of problems though. Mostly due to shitty mechanic. Biggest thing is not being able to punt on demand like chosen. And for some reason also having a 20 second CD on said punt instead of 10 like chosen. I guess you can argue it's a tactic slot, but it's not like you are allowed to not run that tactic on chosen.

The other thing is buffs/debuffs. They are single target instead of AoE like other tanks. ST is fine, but the values should be significantly higher than those AoE counterparts but they are not except for the willpower buff. For instance I can buff someone's str in the party by 100 using a specific melee range ability on an enemy. But chosen can buff the entire party, and simultaneously debuff everyone's str in an AoE passively through an aura for the exact same amount. BO just turns on stat steal and does the same thing, same values buff and debuff but proc based on attacks and works with AoE.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#6 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Someone should write a proposal regarding IB/BG single target buff values. Always seemed stupid that they were same value as Chosen aoe buffs but are single-target+require a gcd+often require melee attack (therefore can be defended, meaning you wasted a gcd). They should at least buff targets for higher than the Chosen/knight buffs.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Penril

Post#7 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Or maybe it is stupid that Chosen/KotBS buffs are so easy to use.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#8 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

That too. But i feel like tweaking values of some abilities to be higher is easier than modifiying an entire class mechanic to be not garbage. Could honestly be wrong as I am no coder and so with how weird and chopped up the code for RoR is, it could be really difficult to do either. But if I could buff strength for 160 for one target as opposed to knight buffing whole group for 100, it might be a nice incentive to bring IB/BG, at least for small scale groups.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Ads
Kyran

Post#9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:48 am

If not for skullthumper 2h BG would be on par if not better than BO dps output.

I think RR70 BG (access to AoE snare in 2h build) is competitive with BO. BG isn't anywhere near as bad as it was though thanks to buffs and morale tactic nerfs. I mean you would literally get yelled at it you tried to play one in serious premades.

It still has hosts of problems though. Mostly due to shitty mechanic. Biggest thing is not being able to punt on demand like chosen. And for some reason also having a 20 second CD on said punt instead of 10 like chosen. I guess you can argue it's a tactic slot, but it's not like you are allowed to not run that tactic on chosen.

The other thing is buffs/debuffs. They are single target instead of AoE like other tanks. ST is fine, but the values should be significantly higher than those AoE counterparts but they are not except for the willpower buff. For instance I can buff someone's str in the party by 100 using a specific melee range ability on an enemy. But chosen can buff the entire party, and simultaneously debuff everyone's str in an AoE passively through an aura for the exact same amount. BO just turns on stat steal and does the same thing, same values buff and debuff but proc based on attacks and works with AoE.
So BG is a very "selfish" tank compared to the other ones. And as I want to be useful to my mates, I'll go with the BO. I agree with the BG's mechanic, when I read all his skills, I noticed that I'll need to put many buffs/debuff before doing any damage.

Dalgrimar

Post#10 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 pm

BG is one of the harder tank classes to play.
Once mastered it is very effective but underrated.
Dalgri - Ftp/Sens - Sadboi - Fanboy

utube
twitch