Recent Topics

Ads

Anything new for dps DoKs?

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Zxul

Anything new for dps DoKs?

Post#1 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Took a break think 9 months or so ago.

My hybrid ranged dps dok from back then:

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/armor ... _name=Lxul

http://www.ror.builders/career/disciple ... ,4985,4975 (last tactic was AA haste for extra spike for healers, might have went back to Potent Covenants even with ICD, or for AoE detaunt now that it doesn't requires dual wield, not sure)

Back when I left, there wasn't a single item left to get ingame which was better for dps dok then what I had (linked), as well as after trying different options couldn't think of anything else to change in spec (full toughness based rdps dok spec, killing sws in ranged 1vs1 was always funny).

Were there any items added/ any dok abilities improved from back then (except Scent of Blood which still doesn't makes the tree worth it)?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: Anything new for dps DoKs?

Post#2 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Pretty bad gear that you're using for optimal DPS: AA haste jewels and Dominator shoulders are a must so that you can capitalise on CoC. Unless you meant 'ranged DPS DOK' when you said 'DPS DOK'?

In regards to changes: Onslaught gear has been released, Gunbad jewels have some use for DOK (I use parry str/wounds), and Torture 15pt is a Charge ability now (as you noted).

Class really doesn't need much else; it's very potent as it is. Melee healing could do with some touches, but the actual DPS a DOK can put out is very respectable.

Zxul

Post#3 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm Pretty bad gear that you're using for optimal DPS: AA haste jewels and Dominator shoulders are a must so that you can capitalise on CoC. Unless you meant 'ranged DPS DOK' when you said 'DPS DOK'?
Yep rdps, with chalice in offhand, so AA haste was pretty much an experiment- never bothered with it on live, or most of the time here. AA haste only helps when you are actually in melee range- so solo roaming its only really useful when trying to spike healers, compared to being able to switch to full rdps mod which is useful 90% of the time (solo vs kiters, getting dmg while solo riding zerg, getting dmg on target long before you could deliver it if you had to close into melee, ets).
peterthepan3 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm In regards to changes: Onslaught gear has been released, Gunbad jewels have some use for DOK (I use parry str/wounds), and Torture 15pt is a Charge ability now (as you noted).
Onslaught is a healer set though, and parry is something which I always considered useless on dok- from quite a bit of testing back on live, and from here, going full toughness and mitigating 50-80% of inc dmg, combined with self heals (hybrid spec), works much better.
peterthepan3 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm Class really doesn't need much else; it's very potent as it is. Melee healing could do with some touches, but the actual DPS a DOK can put out is very respectable.
Yep, my favorite class in War- the problem wasn't with the class itself, but with running out of ways to improve the toon, items or spec, which eventually led to getting bored and taking a long break.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

peterthepan3

Post#4 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Well the difference is that getting 40-45% parry on a DOK will not have that significant a hit on your DPS (a mere 20 RR points, and 1 jewel or so, will get you to 40%), while going full tough for mitigation numbers you listed will have a drastic impact on DPS. To each their own, and I do recall some rDPS doks on live that were pretty cool to watch.

Zxul

Post#5 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm Well the difference is that getting 40-45% parry on a DOK will not have that significant a hit on your DPS (a mere 20 RR points, and 1 jewel or so, will get you to 40%), while going full tough for mitigation numbers you listed will have a drastic impact on DPS. To each their own, and I do recall some rDPS doks on live that were pretty cool to watch.
Agree- toughness only works if you go all out with it (full toughness talis/ full renown toughness/ +80 toughness pot, and then I have armor set mods from 3 merc/Winds, and resists from Winds, on top), then spec around that. The damage on melee target is significantly lower then classic build, as well.

The problem with parry is that, in too many situations when you need defense the most (kiters, BW uploading full spike into you, WH popping behind your back, ets) it does nothing, while toughness is always there. Same for damage- AA haste only works if you can actually get into melee range and then keep the target there (so not vs kiting sw / not when trying to get some damage on targets in zerg rush), while ranged is always there for you.

Is a tradeoff of being best in specific situations vs being good in all situations.

sinadin

Post#6 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 am

what is a rdps dok please? they rely on Fist of Khaine or what did I miss here.

Any videos to check out the play style?

thank you

Zxul

Post#7 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

sinadin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 am what is a rdps dok please? they rely on Fist of Khaine or what did I miss here.

Any videos to check out the play style?

thank you
Build about Fist spam yep, however apart from base dmg Fist is also used as a proc delivery mechanism- your chosen Covenant (on my dok I actually use CoV and not CoC most of the time, and only switch to catch ams/runners), Khaine's Imbuement tactic, and subj weapon proc.

In addition doc also has a Devour Essence for a pretty decent ranged AoE with 150 f range (as long as you have a friendly target next to order to put it on, say mara or tank rushing into order mob). Back when I played it used to trigger all your procs as well, not sure whatever is still works this way with all the proc nerfs.

Personally since I have enough defense/healing I also switched m1 from DF to Steal Life- gives you an extra 100 f range 900 unmitigated dmg ability to play with, or a moral to add to spike which unlike m3 Universal Confusion you can actually can get to in reasonable time.

Even in a ranged build you still want to get into melee- the dmg is better, + dok debuffs, however you can kill with ranged only perfectly fine when needed (=when facing sw which without weapon snare procs from live you ain't going to catch, or in all the zerg situations when you either don't want to get into melee range of order, or want to tab/nuke, instead of trying to find where the target is and to get into melee range before it dies).

You obviously ain't going to have a sorc ranged dmg, however you also can take a beating just a little bit better then a sorc.

And one major advantage of a ranged dok over sorc/magus is that Fist is spammable on the run- all their abilities either have a CD or require them to stand still to cast.

Edit: not sure about videos, personally never made any.

peterthepan3

Post#8 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm

To be fair, anything can die to a mickey mouse setup in pug/solo environments. Magus actually does have spammable ranged abilities via their Flamer pet.

You have nothing akin to sorc/magus/SH damage from Fist spam. Procs are nerf'd and given ICDs, so you'll find it hard to kill even an engineer turret =P

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#9 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Doesn't the RoR iteration of toughness entirely kill FoK's (by default lackluster) potential?

Back on live you had plenty of everything (e.g.: stats, broken/exploitable skill interactions, procs, yadayada), hidden levels on RR++80 and plenty of sub80 pugs to pewpew on...
I can't imagine FoK being of any use on RoR, outside of desperation fueled attempts of getting resources without getting into melee range while resupply/smite are on cooldown.

Zxul

Post#10 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm To be fair, anything can die to a mickey mouse setup in pug/solo environments. Magus actually does have spammable ranged abilities via their Flamer pet.
Yep forgot about magus changed from when I wasn't around.
peterthepan3 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pmYou have nothing akin to sorc/magus/SH damage from Fist spam. Procs are nerf'd and given ICDs, so you'll find it hard to kill even an engineer turret =P
This one is more complicated.

The proc nerf was for Covs- ICD, not being able to crit unlike on live, Potent Covenants only affecting the dok, and think there was also an ICD on target affecting all hitting it.

Out of those when spamming Fist ICD doesn't effects you- you are only hitting the target once per sec anyway, crit is some dmg lost but on my dok I never had a high crit chance anyway, Potent Covenants nerf doesn't matters if you solo, and as for ICD on target if exists its one more reason to use CoV instead of CoC which is what will usually hit the target in zerg env.

As for Khaine's Imbuement tactic, didn't see any nerfs- just logged in to check, it can still crit just fine.

Personal experience with ranged spec in ror is that dmg is fine- sws do die from it just fine (as long as you build about outlasting them of cause- you sure as hell won't OD them), and soloing in zerg rushes with ranged I got plenty of renown. Its pretty much in a right spot- a rdps dok spec is a very hybrid build, so you will do fine dmg even if you can't expect to compete with a true rdps- from other hand you also can take a hit much better then a true rdps.