Recent Topics

Ads

Any advice on how to learn to kite?

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
DR4296

Any advice on how to learn to kite?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 am

Greetings All !

Been trying to kite somewhat with my Sorc, but it ends up being more like me gaining some distance and then running at 90 degrees to the attacker. Been watching some vids and it seems like a lot of camera twisting going on. Wondering if that's part of the equation? (I use keyboard and a trackball mouse. I'm not even sure where the controls would be to move the camera.)

I really need to get better at this, for Destro's sake.
Any advice? Tutorial vids?

Thanks!

Ads
phononHYPE

Re: Any advice on how to learn to kite?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Kiting is ... interesting. For me I have to play tougher characters (defensive choppa or WE for example) as the server is in France and I live on the opposite side of the world with mediocre internet. Kiting is therefore not a reliable option for me, as the stuttering and lag I experience makes things 50/50. So, your mileage may vary depending on a lot of things.

As an added thought, I have both gaming mouse and trackball. My gaming mouse has 7 easy to use/access buttons + 2 more that I ignore as they're not easy to use. My trackball has a total of 5 buttons. How you assign the buttons in-game will depend on your choices for those buttons, but the mouse has more options (in general). In-game controls can be accessed via ESC > Key Mapping and you can also control camera stuff I think through U > General Settings, scroll to bottom. This is kind of vague I know, but best I can think of to start to address your problem, from two different perspectives.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

oaliaen

Post#3 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Press right instead back hotkey

Bloodmasked

Post#4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 pm

What the f is a trackball mouse.

For starters everybody should be using A and D to strafe, and not to rotate their camera.

You should stock up on AP pots (rejuvenating draught i think) and also the ones from Officer merchant at undercroft. Put them on your hotbar so when you press Flee to get movement speed you can continue to attack (u still won't regenerate AP until the flee ends).

Paxsanarion

Post#5 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:27 am

Bloodmasked wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 pm What the f is a trackball mouse.

For starters everybody should be using A and D to strafe, and not to rotate their camera.

You should stock up on AP pots (rejuvenating draught i think) and also the ones from Officer merchant at undercroft. Put them on your hotbar so when you press Flee to get movement speed you can continue to attack (u still won't regenerate AP until the flee ends).
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... rackballs/

wonshot

Post#6 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 am

Kiting.. hm.
Sorc and BW in general dont have too many tools for actually allowing us to stay at distance to our foes, if they truely want to reach us, they will.
some of the tools to get familar with though, would be:
Flee.. Drains your AP and moralebar plus Darkmagic. Popping an Action-point potion after pressing flee will allow you to fight will running faster.
Morale1 Magebolt, if a target should reach you with a pounce or something, you can knock them away briefly.
Morale 2, Focused mind. It prevents you from being Knockled down, staggered, and silenced. Plus if you are snared, it will clense the snare while FM is active.

Singletarget disarm will help preventing some upfront damage when a weaponskill user is hitting on you, aoe root can help maybe once in a blue moon before its broken instantly.

Prekiting is probably your best bet. Reading the battlefield, seeing when the meleetrain with tanks and mdps is done with their targets in the frontline and turn their attention to you. Reading up on what tools each of the mdps classes have to reach you, like pounce, m1 root, charge etc. will give you a better idea about when you can freecast and when you need to turn and dot+strifing.

My most general tip would be knowing and understanding "why" you are kiting.
simply running for the sake of running often leads to a later death. But if you are pressing flee while you know your healer is staggered, you are buying time for the healer to catch up and help you in a brief moment. if you are near a warcamp or guard/doorway to help you escape, then that is your reasoning for kiting. to get to safety.
Each second a melee train is chasing you, without reaching you, is a second they are not being effient so kiting them can help ease presure too.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

thesis

Post#7 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:03 am

Edit: Don't forget to set the camera to be free; The last thing you want is the camera autorotating on you.

1) Anticipate getting out of your situation or kiting to your tank/group before you need to

2 ) Strafing allows you to not have your back facing the enemy as you drag them to get more distance from your attacker. Use whatever key binds you are comfortable with. Some replace A/D with strafe left/right, others use Q/E. I've found using Q/D works best for how my fingers rest.

3) While strafing, use your mouse to turn the camera slightly (direction doesn't matter). Practice with mobs that have a lot of health. As you are testing, you will begin to get a good feel for the distance you need and the angle you can still hit the enemy ( some abilities do not require you to be facing the enemy, so take advantage )

4) Focused mind, detaunt, flee, and ap/health pots ( maybe not in this order )

There are moments where kiting simply won't be enough due to pressure, numbers, or you may need a break
- Instrument
- Fact/Fiction/Undo
- Thesis/Antithesis

Want to feel better about yourself and your gameplay? https://twitch.tv/mr_thesis

DR4296

Post#8 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:41 am

thesis wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:03 am Edit: Don't forget to set the camera to be free; The last thing you want is the camera autorotating on you.

3) While strafing, use your mouse to turn the camera slightly (direction doesn't matter). Practice with mobs that have a lot of health. As you are testing, you will begin to get a good feel for the distance you need and the angle you can still hit the enemy ( some abilities do not require you to be facing the enemy, so take advantage )

Ah, so the targeting system does have some sort of odd camera-dependency that I'm not aware of ???

(Also, for the previous responders here...and those who may be wondering... I set my A & D keys to strafe a long time ago. Also, the reason I'm asking about kiting in the first place is after watching the Sorc in the Youtube video listed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=44286 He seems to do an awful lot of moving around. Now, I've been getting better about not being entirely stationary; I spent a lot of time playing engi's so getting out of that habit wasn't easy. <grin!> But I want to get better at this.)

Ads
DR4296

Post#9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:45 am

Bloodmasked wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 pm
Wow, two nice tid-bits here that I had no idea about:

1) I had thought that when you pressed "flee", not only did you run out of AP, but you weren't ALLOWED to run any other attacks/skills. I didn't realize that the only reason you couldn't do that was BECAUSE of the lack of AP.

2) Oh, so THAT'S why everybody always talks about running with AP pots! I've never really found running out of AP to be a problem on all of my past and current toons, so I always brushed this advice off.

Thanks !!

Sofong

Post#10 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am

hold right click turn the camera, keep ur target at the edge of the screen.