Recent Topics

Ads

[DoK] I have a few questions

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Shadewe

[DoK] I have a few questions

Post#1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this game and I've giving some thought to playing a DoK. It's not in stone yet though, but I'd still like to ask a few things.

1) I'm getting the fact that DoK is a melee healer, whereas as least from Dest pov Zealot and Shaman are ranged. Sound about right?

2) What are the playstyle differences between the Dest healers? Do some excel in some situations, not in others, stuff like that?

3) How much more survivability does a DoK have over the other two healers? My understanding is DoK uses medium armour and the others use light; correct?

4) The big question(s): how to play them. I've seen all sorts of things saying that actually playing in melee is 'bad', and that ranged healing is 'good'. Is this true? I think I get why the dislike of the melee DoK actually going into melee (no rush, not healing as one would expect a healer to heal), but can it work by someone who isn't 'elite'? A good chunk of the reason I ask is, although I see the big gaping problem with the DoK as a DPS healer, it still looks interesting to me and I don't want to write it off without at least exploring if it's feasible.

5) What's the best weapons for a DoK (I suppose this probably depends on what kind of build you're using...)? I've read two weapons, shield and beer stein, shield and weapon (two handed weapon good?); is there a preferred weapon set based on what you're doing?

6) Maybe the most important question; why would I pick a DoK over other classes? Note: I don't have a lot of time for alts, so I can't just play 10 different classes to max lvl just to try them out.

Ads
priestxes

Re: [DoK] I have a few questions

Post#2 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:55 pm

Well, there's a lot to un pack here, but lets try!

There are 3 specs(generally based on off hand), Chalice(ranged heals), Shield(melee/dps heals), and Dual Wield(full dps).

So the issue with Shield and DW is that you are extremely prone to kiting, focus, disable effects. If you are dead, disabled, or no easy targets to hit, well then you can't heal.

Your dps in shield, will increase your heals, but it costs your durability in a melee ball. Both DW and Shield are ST specs with not a lot of aoe, so no real large scale value. As well as both specs are heavily gear dependent. But they are either heroes or zeros. They will shine in their niche fights(small scale not a lot of ranged opposition). Or feel useless AF.

But if you really like the class, pick it up and play. You can level in any spec, but as a fresh 40, I would advice pick up a chalice and grind your PVE gear for shield or DW, then you can play any spec depending on group, situation.

Bloodmasked

Post#3 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 pm

my dok is almost rr88 and its basically the only character ive played.

the biggest issue with this class is it has 3 spec trees but they can hardly be combined to create interesting specs. note this is a recurring issue with alot, maybe even the majority of classes, simply badly thought-out tactics and spec trees resulting in bland classes.

the dps spec is basically useless. shield spec is very gimmicky and easily countered. and the regular chalice heal spec basically just has less tools than zealots or shamans. what doks can do is basically cleanse the group every 5 seconds. then they provide heal over time to the group, and can also spam a group heal since its cast time is 1 second.

doks have medium armor which is better than other healers who have light. but its really not a big deal, most armor in the game is bypassed through armor debuffs and weaponskill and alot of characters ignore your armor completely with magic damage.

but the zealot group heal cast time is 2.5 seconds, and guess what its 2.5 times stronger (approx). shamans can do massive group healing too because they can heal 9 targets with their aoe. also, both zealot and shaman can use focus mind to make their 2.5 second heal into a 1.2 second heal which is super powerful but consumes alot of AP.

im annoyed with recent dok changes because they just dumb down the class. they ruined the detaunt ability so now its really unintuitive to use.

i think you will have more fun with shaman since you can kite people by throwing puddles at their feet. zealot unfortunately has crappy alternate specs and doesn't do much damage either, they can throw down a heal debuff morale that hits like 9 enemies and its pretty strong but thats about it.

thats just some thoughts having played dok to almost rr88 (around 500-1000 hours playtime), and having only touched zeal/sham to about lvl 32 which is about when u get a decent chunk of abilities and tactics to play with.

priestxes

Post#4 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:03 am

Detaunt? I haven't noticed anything different besides you no longer need the tactic for aoe detaunt, if using shield or dw

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#5 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 am

priestxes wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:03 am Detaunt? I haven't noticed anything different besides you no longer need the tactic for aoe detaunt, if using shield or dw
they changed the AOE tactic from 15 seconds to 5 seconds. (the person you target gets 15 second and everyone else gets 5 seconds). so now you have to rely more on being guarded which is really annoying for tanks because they have to constantly guard swap instead of just sticking with their dps.

BluIzLucky

Post#6 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm

1) Yes
2) Dok is heal, hybrid, mdps
Zealot is less heal, more protection, more utility
Sham is out of party heal, better solo, more utility
3) mostly gear, detaunting, rotation, kiting, positioning/awareness and not getting targeted. That being said edge does go to (Shield) DoK for straight up tankiness.
4) idk
5) idk
6) visually appealling? Prefer melee over ranged magic? high demand healer for organised city?
To get to BIS takes a long time, especially with limited time or playing windows, could be +6 months for BIS, alts between 1-39 is easy to gear and much more competitive in SC so could be more fun than just playing one class.

Also.. Just a note on the group heal comment..
DoK heal is 2x faster (gcd is 1.2s) and heals for more than half, meaning DoKs can use group heal 2 times for higher HPS before sham or Zealot gets their first heal off, often resulting in much more overheal for the 2 other healers.
And yes Focus Mind is a great burst heal, but not better than Rampaging Siphon which is mostly run by DoKs since they don't need FM kiting boost to survive.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#7 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 pm

BluIzLucky wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm 1) Yes
2) Dok is heal, hybrid, mdps
Zealot is less heal, more protection, more utility
Sham is out of party heal, better solo, more utility
3) mostly gear, detaunting, rotation, kiting, positioning/awareness and not getting targeted. That being said edge does go to (Shield) DoK for straight up tankiness.
4) idk
5) idk
6) visually appealling? Prefer melee over ranged magic? high demand healer for organised city?
To get to BIS takes a long time, especially with limited time or playing windows, could be +6 months for BIS, alts between 1-39 is easy to gear and much more competitive in SC so could be more fun than just playing one class.

Also.. Just a note on the group heal comment..
DoK heal is 2x faster (gcd is 1.2s) and heals for more than half, meaning DoKs can use group heal 2 times for higher HPS before sham or Zealot gets their first heal off, often resulting in much more overheal for the 2 other healers.
And yes Focus Mind is a great burst heal, but not better than Rampaging Siphon which is mostly run by DoKs since they don't need FM kiting boost to survive.
focus mind is okay for running away and for quick resses. but usually use rampaging since focus mind doesn't actually make heals stronger.