Recent Topics

Ads

How do I play slayer?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Airiden

How do I play slayer?

Post#1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:17 pm

I don't know how to play my level 11 slayer... Every time I get into a scenario, I get destroyed before I can do any DPS.
So here are some questions: What is the rotation? What gear do I use? Do I dual-wield or do I use a two-hander for deathblow?

Ads
Alucard2010

Re: How do I play slayer?

Post#2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:42 pm

Slayers needs a guard - find a tank buddy and ask him to guard you and stay within 50 ft of you at all times. Dual-wield will yield more dmg overall

Poknok

Post#3 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:43 pm

It's hard to know why you're dying without seeing it, but here's some possible suggestions. This is basic troubleshooting stuff.

1. Don't get too far split away from your group. If you get tunnel vision or charge the backlines, yer in trouble.

2. Effective range on Guard is only 30ft. If you have a tank guarding you, keep track of where they are. They might get rooted or snared or punted or god knows what else.

2a. There's some addons that can help you see where your tank is, even when things get hectic.

3. Lots of gear has both offensive and defensive versions. Especially at lower levels, push Wounds and Toughnes.

Airiden

Post#4 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm

What tree do I go down in mastery abilities?

Poknok

Post#5 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Last I checked, core build included Shattered Limbs and Inevitable Doom from Skavenslayer, and Rampage from Trollslayer.

Use Shattered Limbs, Inevitable Doom, and Flurry until you're Furious. Once you're Furious, pop Rampage for 20 seconds of unblockable/unparryable.

Pretty sure Brute Force and Ancestral Inheritance are still standard Tactics.

Also, check the Bitterstone Dwarf Handbook. Those fellas know more than I ever will:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=29315

Grock

Post#6 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Slayer is heavily group dependant, it is a hard carry glass cannon class which always attracts a lot of enemy attention - both because we can be very dangerous, and because we can be juicy easy target.

Make a group - find at least find a tank and a healer, the game quality will improve drastically.
Ideally get into voice comms with them and coordinate movement, targets, CC, etc.

Also recommend getting Buffhead addon with a preset for important effects - it should be somewhere there on the forum.
Familiarize yourself with icons of destro's Detaunt, Guard and Challenge abilities, so you know when to switch target, and what targets are vulnerable(unguarded).
Also if you play with a tank they should learn to punt(knockback) the guarding tank away to break the guard effect so you can put the damage through

Standard build for 40/40 looks like this: RoR.builders - Slayer
Preferred weapon is dual wield, 2h build is more risky and harder to pull off

But at lower levels feel free to experiment with different abilities and weapons and see what you like.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Airiden

Post#7 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:26 pm

Does anyone have an AOE build for mastery points that goes with the Bitterstone Dwarf Handbook slayer aoe build? The mastery build in the book doesn't work anymore...

wpc56
Suspended

Post#8 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:04 am

Provided you are in pug sc and have some heal or tank, it's all about positioning and rage management

You can play more aggressively if you are guarded but don't get tunnel visioned and charge in by yourself, you'll die.

You need to dump your rage and detaunt (detaunt works in pvp) when you are focused or about to be focused.

You need time to get rage up so it's a good idea to throw an axe in to get yourself in combat and see how the fight goes. If there aren't guards or frontline, you have to hit and run, dump your rage. If there are, you can wait until you are yellow rage, about to go into red rage (more dmg, more squishy) and go in to kill someone... go from there if you need to dump rage or keep going

If there aren't any healers in the group, you will die as mentioned by other posters, you are group dependent class... but there are ways to survive/play better.

Some slayers just charge in and expect healers to keep them up, don't be like those guys. With healing debuff and not dumping rage in red zone... there simply isn't anyway for healer to keep you up

Ads
BarniGrollheimer

Post#9 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm Slayer is heavily group dependant, it is a hard carry glass cannon class which always attracts a lot of enemy attention - both because we can be very dangerous, and because we can be juicy easy target.

Make a group - find at least find a tank and a healer, the game quality will improve drastically.
Ideally get into voice comms with them and coordinate movement, targets, CC, etc.

Also recommend getting Buffhead addon with a preset for important effects - it should be somewhere there on the forum.
Familiarize yourself with icons of destro's Detaunt, Guard and Challenge abilities, so you know when to switch target, and what targets are vulnerable(unguarded).
Also if you play with a tank they should learn to punt(knockback) the guarding tank away to break the guard effect so you can put the damage through

Standard build for 40/40 looks like this: RoR.builders - Slayer
Preferred weapon is dual wield, 2h build is more risky and harder to pull off

But at lower levels feel free to experiment with different abilities and weapons and see what you like.

Everything said here is accurate. Slayer is a class that needs a lot of knowledge and right group setup. Correct positioning and a guard are the keys to success. I love playing Slayer and he can be super strong but I would'nt recommend in terms of a beginner class. It also takes a lot of practice to manage your aggrometer and keep track of it during the fight. You will get a feeling for it after a while. Try to play a bit more passive and avoid being the one charging into to the enemy ahead of everyone else. Give your healer a chance keeping you alive, once again postining is key(!)

Maybe a trick for a beginner can be to never get into rampage unless your fight a healer without getting damged yourself by another DD. Most Exhausting Blows are stronger beeing pulled into yellow anyways. Also try to keep with your gear, it should match your level.

I know it can be a bit frustraing but Slayer is super fun and powerfull if your have a decent grp setup and a bit of experience.
Barnii Grollheimer - Slayer 40/80
Frostthrone - Bright Wizard 40/75

cattlebruiser

Post#10 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm

You must fulfill your Slayer Oath.