Recent Topics

Ads

[RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
NSKaneda

Re: [RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Post#11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am

Osred wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am
paperclipdog wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 am DPS Runie seems viable for solo and small group rvr-roaming. Decent AP drain, decent dmg, catches people off-guard.
There are a bunch of dps Runepriests running around that you could maybe ask for advice, most prominent one seems to be Antifrizz.

All "off-specs" are pretty **** once you hit 40 but get decent again with better gear.
My Runepriest actually has around 1k+ INT with breaking on and around 10% magic crit. So I have to try going for more than that? I'll give Antifrizz a pm when I see him on.

Im just a bit demotivated as i also have an AM with less int and his basic DoTs and attacks are hitting for much harder with less effort :(. Now I see why the majority of the AM pop are dps.

Where can i improve from here? I just needed the redeye set and a bunch of WP/INT jewells and im pretty much capped yet im still hitting like a noodle. Every other class ive played near cap including tanks can hit lke trucks, but not RP for some reason.
Spoiler:

Start by getting 20-25% magic crit, followed by 350-400+ toughness and, surprise surprise, 400+ base willpower (before stat switch). Max disrupt. Intel around 950+, initiative 300-350+ before buff.
Pair up with someone who will ele debuff - AMs deal spirit dmg so it's only natural that their tics are higher.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Ads
Fenris78

Re: [RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Post#12 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:49 am

It's only because there is no Elemental resistance debuff, aside from the KotBS aura wich is at best around 160.

Since they also nerfed the only RP tactic to aoe debuff, and the base damage is lower than pure dps, you cannot reliably do much.
You'll have far better time with AM DoTs, even without spirit debuff (where SM is very helpful for instance), than with a shitty 2s casted spell and a channeled ability you'd have to spec a tactic to make it remotely worthwhile.

While you can have decent lifetaps they are very limited and since the masteries are all over the place it's basically impossible to really spec into a solid dps spec, sadly or not...

paperclipdog

Post#13 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Osred wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am
My Runepriest actually has around 1k+ INT with breaking on and around 10% magic crit. So I have to try going for more than that? I'll give Antifrizz a pm when I see him on.

Im just a bit demotivated as i also have an AM with less int and his basic DoTs and attacks are hitting for much harder with less effort :(. Now I see why the majority of the AM pop are dps.

Where can i improve from here? I just needed the redeye set and a bunch of WP/INT jewells and im pretty much capped yet im still hitting like a noodle. Every other class ive played near cap including tanks can hit lke trucks, but not RP for some reason.
I don't play dps RP and can't really help you with anything specific.

Your crit is so low it's basically non-existant, so you can theoretically improve a lot there if gear allows it. Most people will run be running FS2 or 3 so you're at around 0% chance to crit still.

Resistance reduction matters a lot. A (high lvl) resi buff =~20% dmg reduction, resi debuff =~20% dmg increase (KOTBs and Chosen are closer to =~10%).
So if you're attacking someone with no resi buff they'll get around 20% reduction from gear, with resi buff 40% reduction. No clue who on order beside KOTB can debuff Ele, on destro shami and magus can do it.

DPS AM is probably way better, not gonna argue there. Your DPS AM is probably doing more damage because AMs can debuff Spirit resistance on their own, which is just 20% more dmg than dps RP. With a KOTBs nearby that difference shrinks to 10% at least tho :)
Last edited by paperclipdog on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSKaneda

Post#14 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:49 am
Spoiler:
It's only because there is no Elemental resistance debuff, aside from the KotBS aura wich is at best around 160.

Since they also nerfed the only RP tactic to aoe debuff, and the base damage is lower than pure dps, you cannot reliably do much.
You'll have far better time with AM DoTs, even without spirit debuff (where SM is very helpful for instance), than with a shitty 2s casted spell and a channeled ability you'd have to spec a tactic to make it remotely worthwhile.
While you can have decent lifetaps they are very limited and since the masteries are all over the place it's basically impossible to really spec into a solid dps spec, sadly or not...

Speccing dps skills with heal build works way better but it's not solo roam friendly.
Engie +15% dmg from all sources helps a lot as well.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+

Przepraszam

Post#15 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:22 pm

As owner of Rp and Zeal alts i fully support enabling dps spec for both of them
Billpullman Blips
Millivanilli Karvosky

Foomy44

Post#16 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 am

NSKaneda wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am Pair up with someone who will ele debuff
Literally 0 ele specific debuffs on Order so that list is a pretty short one.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

NSKaneda

Post#17 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am

Foomy44 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 am
NSKaneda wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am Pair up with someone who will ele debuff
Literally 0 ele specific debuffs on Order so that list is a pretty short one.

Ele specific might be problematic but order has kotbs resist debuff aura that stacks with engie +15% dmg from all sources. Then there is Potent Runes & Runic Blasting combo which can be improved upon with strikethrough... Quite a few options for a niche solo dps healer roaming build.

Vholrat

Post#18 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:32 pm

also bright wizard can debuff ele no?

Ads
Osred

Post#19 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Vholrat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:32 pm also bright wizard can debuff ele no?
Skimming over Bright Wizard skills and tactics, they debuff corp, not ele. The only ele debuff on order is from the knight aura I think.
Osri - 40/79 - Runepriest
Osarion 40/82 - Swordmaster
Osgrim 40/74 - Ironbreaker

gebajger

Post#20 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:01 pm

As you mentioned, when you compare dps RP to AM, it feels like an uphill battle, as AM can do almost everything a RP can, but better (or easier, cheaper)
RP has more direct dmg tho, and the stat conversion can be very nice.
I think you can do very well 1v1 , but when it comes to Xv1 , AM can deal with it easier (aoe snare, better aoe punt, better dots)

Having said all that, i loved bumping into you the other day, fighting outnumbered, and (I'm sure you've noticed) everybody loves dps healers.

So don't give up, for what its worth, you have my full support!
Rioz