Recent Topics

Ads

[RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Osred

[RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Post#1 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:58 pm

As the two questions in the the header sys. I had a significant amount of fun playing a dps runepriest while leveling it once T2 hit. It felt punchy with its obvioud drawbacks, but the burst was still there. I hit r40 with managing to get 60 renown ranks through solo kills and roaming. Im a bit demotivated in that I feel I wont feel as powerful as I was around 27-32. My RP can get up to 1050 int yet still hits like a pea. Shall I just not bother or can any mor experienced RPs like Kolland and Broodling pipe in?

Note: I have zero intention of playing dps RP in ranked or WB play (since RoN nerf (why?)), so please hold your flames, this is for some side fun.
Osri - 40/79 - Runepriest
Osarion 40/82 - Swordmaster
Osgrim 40/74 - Ironbreaker

Ads
Vholrat

Re: [RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Post#2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:08 pm

people start getting geared . level 27-32 peoples are dressed in rags, of course you burst em down. all healers are plain op at low levels (shammy is immortal in t1 for example). my suggestion is go straight healer. DPS runepriest is a big nono

Osred

Re: [RP] Is Runepriest dps an utterly futile pursuit? Can you regain the power of bolster?

Post#3 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:12 pm

Vholrat wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:08 pm people start getting geared . level 27-32 peoples are dressed in rags, of course you burst em down. all healers are plain op at low levels (shammy is immortal in t1 for example). my suggestion is go straight healer. DPS runepriest is a big nono
I was killing people in T4 easily. I ended up with enough royal shards for 6 crests before hitting 40. So it wasnt just killing low armor/resist players.

Omegus

Post#4 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:39 pm

It benefits very well from bolster due to having high-ish base damage on the abilities with long casts, which gets buffed to the moon with bolster that takes you over rank 40. Once bolster is gone is doesn't have any reliable way of boosting its damage back up to that level (e.g. no bonus damage mechanic or tactics) so its DPS drops to terrible levels. It gets tactics to make some abilities more reliable (undefendable, reduced disrupt chance, etc), but the damage of those abilities when they hit is still lacklusture.

Some rare heroes can still make the AOE spec work (only works in a warband and needs non-stop cooldown reduction), that's about it.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Sinisterror

Post#5 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPw6K_MGEXY I still watch this and miss this version of dps zealot <3 Never had rune priest this early in game but strongly suggesting bringing harbinger + transference back
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#6 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:11 am

runie doesn't really have any mechanic to do anything special dps wise. you can try the armor debuff tactic but that puts you in close quarters so vs any competent players, you will likely get jumped on.

Caduceus

Post#7 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 am

At fresh level 40 you'll be at your weakest. Give it some time to get geared, and things will get better. You'll start hitting harder through crit, magic power, weapon procs, etc.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

paperclipdog

Post#8 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 am

DPS Runie seems viable for solo and small group rvr-roaming. Decent AP drain, decent dmg, catches people off-guard.
There are a bunch of dps Runepriests running around that you could maybe ask for advice, most prominent one seems to be Antifrizz.

All "off-specs" are pretty **** once you hit 40 but get decent again with better gear.

Ads
Osred

Post#9 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am

paperclipdog wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 am DPS Runie seems viable for solo and small group rvr-roaming. Decent AP drain, decent dmg, catches people off-guard.
There are a bunch of dps Runepriests running around that you could maybe ask for advice, most prominent one seems to be Antifrizz.

All "off-specs" are pretty **** once you hit 40 but get decent again with better gear.
My Runepriest actually has around 1k+ INT with breaking on and around 10% magic crit. So I have to try going for more than that? I'll give Antifrizz a pm when I see him on.

Im just a bit demotivated as i also have an AM with less int and his basic DoTs and attacks are hitting for much harder with less effort :(. Now I see why the majority of the AM pop are dps.

Where can i improve from here? I just needed the redeye set and a bunch of WP/INT jewells and im pretty much capped yet im still hitting like a noodle. Every other class ive played near cap including tanks can hit lke trucks, but not RP for some reason.

Vholrat

Post#10 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:12 am

i am quite ignorant but I believe RP is not designed at all to be performant as dps. I think AM is way superior.