Recent Topics

Ads

[Knight] With recent round of nerfs, is it time to go 2h spec?

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Stmichael1989

[Knight] With recent round of nerfs, is it time to go 2h spec?

Post#1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:15 am

Right now, all a shield does for us is enables about 20% block and dirty tricks for a 5% party crit chance. When compared to using a 2h for arcing swing and a decent bit of added damage, it seems tough to justify the shield.

Anyone else?
StMichael - 40 Warrior Priest
Elhim - 40 Shadow Warrior
Cullexus - 40 Witch Hunter
Teuton Codpiece - 40 Knight
Gritkicker - 40 Slayer

Ads
anarchypark

Re: [Knight] With recent round of nerfs, is it time to go 2h spec?

Post#2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:27 am

Hold the Line!!!
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

tazdingo

Post#3 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:48 am

love isnt always on time

Gerv
Banned

Post#4 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 am

Purely situational and group dependent.

In scenarios the 2hd spec, shines, obviously complimented with appropriate defensive abilities to keep you alive since as you wrote, low block chance, for guard damage. When solo tanking groups I believe it is highly dependent on your group composition and the competency of your healers and the volume of damage received from destruction.

In the RvR zones, I prefer the shield because when fighting with a large amount of aao survivability is the key.
Sia - DoK - Lords
Boyd - WP - O.S.

Stmichael1989

Post#5 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 pm

I've always been more of a scenario junkie. RvR has too many fundamental flaws outside the devs ability to change the game to make it worthwhile.

One thing I've found on the survivability front is that a smart offense is the best defense. Keeping Sorcs and Magi on their heels is a great way to reduce incoming damage, and being able to smack them hard enough to notice is the best way to do that.
StMichael - 40 Warrior Priest
Elhim - 40 Shadow Warrior
Cullexus - 40 Witch Hunter
Teuton Codpiece - 40 Knight
Gritkicker - 40 Slayer

Gerv
Banned

Post#6 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:16 pm

If you are pugging and playing selfishly then yes you can drive for the rdps and carry by damage for sure. It's just preference.

If your playing for the group (while pugging) to guard and support your own dps and healers or playing full aggressive and don't care for the others.
Sia - DoK - Lords
Boyd - WP - O.S.

Serbiansword

Post#7 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Shield vs 2h as a tank:

1. Shield gives you additional stats and additional sockets
2. Shield gives you better block and parry %, helps you with dirty tricks
3. Shield gives you access to gilded shield tactics, +15% to disrupt
4. Hold the line

Now, as a tank, I think that all these things that I've numbered are better than higher damage and arcing swing that 2h provides you with. You simply can't tank properly without the shield.

zabis

Post#8 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Serbiansword wrote:Shield vs 2h as a tank:

4. Hold the line

Now, as a tank, I think that all these things that I've numbered are better than higher damage and arcing swing that 2h provides you with. You simply can't tank properly without the shield.
2h wep has double stats and 2 tali slots
Soulcheg wrote:Want mirrored classes - play chess.
Genisaurus wrote:You are not entitled to Best-in-Slot gear just because you log on.

Ads
Dabbart

Post#9 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 pm

2 tali slots, but you can't stack the same tali twice. And double stats is the exact same as receiving 50% from sword and 50% from shield no? Other than DPS obviously...

Comes down to play-style, and the type of group you are in. Personally, I would never run a Tank w/o a shield. You are the only archetype that can use them, and Block/Parry combo is FAR superior to just parry. Not to mention, taking Shield Rush Tactic boosts your parry by 15% and block by 10%, or the overall benefits from HTL. But again, it comes down to play-style. I might of played my Knight different from how you do, doesn't make either of us "better" or superior. Just different styles.

Depends what you are trying to get from your Knight. And it really depends on if you are PUGing or grouping up, and if in a group, what is your specific role in that group? Guard bot protecting the Slayer, 2h is inferior simply due to Guard damage avoidance. 3-2-1 group, the 2H might pull ahead.

I suggest you try both, and see how it "feels". Remember, don't pay much attention to SC numbers.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Gerv
Banned

Post#10 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Serbiansword wrote:Shield vs 2h as a tank:

4. Hold the line

You can effectively tank with a 2hd and there are some good abilities to get as well.
1. 2hd, as Zabis said has 2 slots and gives more offensive stats.
2. There is also Encouraged Aim (+10% chance to be crit) however you do loose out on the 5% heal crit.
3. No offense but very few tanks would take this tactic over others you normally take.
4. Great for the group, but investing renown points into dodge and disrupt also give the same effect.

But the big point, as Dabbart and I have pointed out is it's all situational and group dependent.
Sia - DoK - Lords
Boyd - WP - O.S.