Recent Topics

Ads

KotBS Basic guide for new players.

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Evenos

KotBS Basic guide for new players.

Post#1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 am

Hello everyone!

I am Evenos and i'm a new player to the game. I have played on live servers back then but not much, so i am not very experienced in the game in general. I only recently found out about RoR and i am very excited, but i a m very confused and practicaly lost reguarding the skill tree of the class i chose , the KotBS.
Currently i am lvl32 and trying to figure out which skills to pick to make my character viable for scenarios/pvp as well as for lvling through pve to lvl40 - i enjoy the storyline and yes i admit it, i read through all the quest text :P So please, to anyone experienced KotBS out there, any tip, advice as to how i should progress, which skills to pick, rotations, pve/pvp mentality etc would be most welcome and apreciated ;)

Thanks for reading!

Ads
Serbiansword

Re: KotBS Basic guide for new players.

Post#2 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am

You will see that a lot of us knights use a lot of different builds. I will show you my current build and explain to you why am I using it and what do you gain from it. Take in consideration that this is my build and that there are a lot of other builds there, so make sure to check them all.
Spoiler:
I know that you are level 32. Since I don't have enough time at the moment, I will write about the build that you should aim at level 40. You will need to be at least RR40 to use it and it will require that you get the whole ruin set. Now, KotBS can be a full tank or 2h DPS. While 2h KotBS is fun and all, I prefer a full tank build:
RoR.builders - Knight of the Blazing Sun

PATH OF VIGILANCE
Image VIGILANCE- As you can see, I wen't pretty deep into Vigilance tree because of Vigilance ability. If you ask me, this is a god damn fine ability which serves as a great damage sponge and it is worth spending so much points in vigilance.

Image SMASHING COUNTER - a major CC ability. Knockdown an enemy healer/DPS and stop him from healing/bursting your team.

Image DIRTY TRICKS - Great tactics that buffs up your team. It's a must have if you wanna contribute to your group.

PATH OF GLORY
Image HEAVEN'S FURY - You can stagger a whole group of enemy if you use this ability correctly. It's a great ability that has a lot of control.

Take a look at the tactics as well. I've already explained what does dirty tricks do.

Image BANISH DARKNESS: So called "punt". Another must have. This is a great CC ability. Use it to launch your enemy up in the air and away from you and your team.

Image RUGGED - Must have. As a tank, you want to build up your toughness as much as you can because you want to be able to soak up as much damage as possible.

Regarding the rotation... Depending on the situation, your job is to protect your DPS and healers, make life harder for enemy healers/DPS/tanks. Your guard should be ALWAYS UP!! Guard a melee DPS, range DPS or a healer. Use crippling blow to slow enemy tanks and melee DPS. Use your challenge to lower the DPS output of enemy players. Use vicious slash to interrupt an enemy casting.

Rotation example #1. This is situational, but it will give you a general idea about the rotation and what should you do:
You see an enemy shaman. You run towards him, use TAUNT to increase your damage output on him and to interrupt him if he's currently casting a spell. Crippling blow as soon as you can so he can't run away from you that easily. Start doing some damage and wait his next cast. Boom, use your smashing counter to knock him down. While he's on the ground use blazing blade and/or shining blade (shining blade will give your group bonus damage on that shamy). Shaman gets up. He tries to cast a spell. BOOM, use your vicious slash to interrupt him from doing that. Use shatter confidence if he has some buffs that you can remove. Apply crippling blow again. Continue with damage, use precision strike for that. By that time, with the help of your group mates, that shammy should be really low or dead. And even if he isn't dead, you made his life really hard and possibly made him miss a couple of important heals on one of his fellow players.

Rotation example #2:
Black Orc(BO) and Choppa gang up at your healer. If the healer in question is in your group and you are not guarding him atm, swap the guard to him ASAP. Run towards BO, knock him down. Cripple and slow the Choppa and then punt him away from your healer. In that way, choppa will be punted away and slowed. If he wants to get back to your healer he needs to break up the slow by using his precious ability and he still needs to run all the way back to your healer. By that time the healer should be running away and healing.
Now, you might ask yourself, what should I do if I see a whole group of enemy ganging up on my helaer? Ok, in that case, use Heaven's fury first and you will stagger most if not all of them. Challenge should be next, you want to lower their damage output as much as you can. Then follow up with knocking down and punting. Knock down a tank, punt one DPS, cripple the other DPS, criple the next DPS etc etc. A lot of target switching should be involved and you need to work as fast as you can :)

I'm preparing for work so I don't have time atm to write some more examples. But if you find this interesting I will write some more during the day.
Last edited by Serbiansword on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tankbeardz

Post#3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 am

Slice Through > Heaven's Fury

Evenos

Post#4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you so much for your time and solid advice Serbiansword! At least now i have something to look up on. Million thanks :)

Serbiansword

Post#5 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Evenos wrote:Thank you so much for your time and solid advice Serbiansword! At least now i have something to look up on. Million thanks :)
You're welcome :)
If you need any kind of help in game just whisper Angerblaze, that's my KotBS :)

Evenos

Post#6 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:51 pm

I've been playing the build you posted Angerblaze and i must admit, although it feels "heavy", it is very nice and adds a lot of utility from my part to the group, compared to what i used to have with a 2h and Conquest/Glory mix. I'd like to ask if the healing from "Stay Focused" aura is worth it over the additional resistances of "Gather your Resolve!".
Thanks again!

Loans

Post#7 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm

The choppa and BO story is incredible. Sadly is not real and don't happen most of time. :lol:

Dabbart

Post#8 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Best advice a knight can get... you have two interrupts. Spend some time learning enemy cast animations, and interrupt them. Don't stack blazing blade. It's a waste of GCDs.

Interrupt and protect your guard. Use HTL whenever you aren't attacking a target to protect as many allies as you can. The rest is based on group, and play style. But please, spend some time learning when and where to interrupt. You'll find it can make a HUGE difference.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Ads
LordMarshal

Post#9 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 am

What is the best way to deal with AP? Right now at 16, I run out fairly quickly in PvE and Scenarios.

GhostNappa

Post#10 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

LordMarshal wrote:What is the best way to deal with AP? Right now at 16, I run out fairly quickly in PvE and Scenarios.
Perseverance gives AP on defense, as does the healing aura. Don't run that aura without focused mending though.

Theres also Bellow Commands and the actual AP aura but both are pretty meh. Most don't even know that the AP aura exists because it's so mediocre

Basically perseverance should always be on cd is what I'm saying. You even get it early.