Recent Topics

Ads

Are BWs obsolete?

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
covenn

Re: Are BWs obsolete?

Post#61 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:04 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:
Spoiler:
Cimba wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:no competitive scene in the game, BW is easy to play and can still muster kills vs bad/noob players. you can kill 'competent' players, too, if you know how to coordinate bursts with tank punt/healer CC.

notion of BW being 'obsolete' is remarkable.
Haven't played much BW lately have you?

No I haven't, but I think it's more a case of not seeing too many decent BWs lately - outside of pug farming in the lakes.

and the class is easy, let's not kid ourselves.
So you haven't played the class in competitive situations to see how the changes have impacted it, yet presume to speak about it like you know what you are talking about.

Makes perfect sense to me. lol

No doubt, the class is great for farming under levels. That is true for any class capable of putting out AOE damage.
Irony - Phoenix Throne (on live)

Currently playing order

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#62 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

covenn wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:
Spoiler:
Cimba wrote:
Haven't played much BW lately have you?

No I haven't, but I think it's more a case of not seeing too many decent BWs lately - outside of pug farming in the lakes.

and the class is easy, let's not kid ourselves.
So you haven't played the class in competitive situations to see how the changes have impacted it, yet presume to speak about it like you know what you are talking about.

Makes perfect sense to me. lol

No doubt, the class is great for farming under levels. That is true for any class capable of putting out AOE damage.

1) I haven't seen any guild actively seeking 'competitive situations' with a BW for over 6 months, so that renders the suggestion that it has been rendered useless in said 'competitive situations' - after the changes - null and void; noone is testing it.

2) I'm yet to hear why the BW is in any more dire a state in 'competitive situations' than the Engineer or Magus, classes that been meh in such situations for the majority of their lifespan.

3) I tend to rely on empirical evidence, and I'm yet to see any (refer to point 1) that supports the notion that the class is gutted in 'competitive situations'.

4) There are no active BWs who engage in 'competitive' fights on the server, so whom do we entrust with the task of enlightening us on its condition?

Speaking theoretically here, because competitive PvP occurs once every year, but in what way is the BW underperforming in your eyes?

Cheers.
Last edited by peterthepan3 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

covenn

Post#63 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

dansari wrote:
Spoiler:
covenn wrote:Outside of killing under levels and under geared people open field, they are worthless in small scale fights or premade scenario fights. Really, the better choice for ranged by far is a SW/SH.
SW/SH are in a good spot, but neither can burst a target very well from ranged (I'll still argue that SH is better than SW in that regard but that's beside the point). To kill competent, organized players you need burst. The best burst order has from ranged is BW.
I agree that their burst is best when they actually can hit a target. Unfortunately the ability of sorc/bws to actually burst the targets that matter is reduced. Like I said, I can completely ignore a Sorcerer on my RP. I should at least be forced to detaunt them, heh.

Currently playing order

Collateral

Post#64 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

dansari wrote:
Spoiler:
Collateral wrote:
dansari wrote:Chosen and BO bring so much group utility that order has no real comparison except knight. You can even bring BG now for easy superpunts or to beef up one DPS in particular, although the power of chosen aura, BO absorb/slows, and morale pumping is better.. Order didn't really bring it upon themselves; the class makeup and class aesthetics are what drive archetype numbers.
Super punts in rvr? Meh. When you're facing 2 wbs, st punts won't do much for you, plus people are very likely to have all the immunities. Sure bg has nice st buffs and debuffs, but it's still not really a wb material tank, not to even mention lack of morale pump. I think we can all agree on that.

Bo bubble? You mean the 500 dmg over 5 seconds that you have to use on a target in melee range, and can therefore be defended? Yea no. It's a waste of a gcd and a waste of htl/chm channel time. 500 dmg is one hit from a single bw, which hit for even more really. Sw hits for over 1k easily. If you instead of that bubble used htl, you actually give a chance for your team to defend these attacks, not just mitigate a small amount of it. So I hope you can see that it's a useless ability for rvr.

Bo snare? The tactic puts it on a god damn 10s cd. It's beyond useless in rvr. Sure you can take kd for chop fasta buff that will put it on a 5s cd, and actually make it similar to kotbs snare, but you still need a tactic and an ability from high up in a tree to make it work. Not to mention you obviously won't have chop fasta up all the time, meaning you can't maintain 100% uptime, unlike kotbs ofc (that only needs one tactic which costs lousy 4 points, I don't know which kotbs wouldn't take that). I don't use the snare anymore, in any play style I do.

Saying sm is useless in wbs is simply not true. It brings double resist debuff. That alone is a reason to take it. It has a bubble that is actually worth taking. Over 700 dmg absorb, that he can cast whenever he wants. Ww is not as useless as people might think either (spammable aoes from bws). I dare to say sm is one of the tankier tanks in wbs. If you spec right, you can last very long. It has very nice tactics that stack with abilities. I play sm in wbs, so don't think I'm making all this up in my head. I'm usually among the last to die.

Sure order doesn't have morale pump on tanks. But it has morale pump on ams and bws. And since the nerf to bo snare, it's even easier to kite while you build morales. Snares from ams and kotbs, free bubbles from sm etc. Build up to bw m4, and see things melt from 100 feet. Then push in with tanks and seal the deal ;)

To conclude, bw is far from obsolete in rvr, where you will get the majority of your kills very easily.
Fair points. Though my argument is that SM doesn't have much control abilities, so even if you can spec tanky, you don't bring much control to rvr, which is part of the point of playing tank. (It's like, sure you might be tanky but your opponents can just ignore you because you're not doing anything but guarding and WW). And why would you need a double spirit debuff? I don't think order has much/any AOE spirit damage.
Sm resist debuff and kotbs aura stack afaik.

covenn

Post#65 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: 1) I haven't seen any guild actively seeking 'competitive situations' with a BW for over 6 months, so that renders the suggestion that it has been rendered useless in said 'competitive situations' - after the changes - null and void; noone is testing it.

2) I'm yet to hear why the BW is in any more dire a state in 'competitive situations' than the Engineer or Magus?

3) I tend to rely on empirical evidence, and I'm yet to see any (refer to point 1) that supports the notion that the class is gutted in 'competitive situations'.

4) There are no active BWs who engage in 'competitive' fights on the server.

Cheers, random.
#1 and #4 .... supports what I am saying far more than your view point.

Also, nice snarky and needless comment at the end. No need to bring douchebaggery into a conversation.

Currently playing order

peterthepan3

Post#66 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Look at the bold parts, and then look at my points. tldr; noone does competitive pvp, noone decent has tested it on a BW against similar skilled opposition (all the BWs I see are pug farmers), thus, we can't infer from nothing that the class is underperforming any moreso than many other classes after said changes. I don't play the class because it isn't testing whatsoever, but I have played with server best sorcerer/BWs and have a tendency to trust their judgment.

Note: I am not saying that the disrupt changes haven't had an impact on the class.

Did I offend you, mate? I'm terribly sorry. Anyway we will get Middlefinger and test out the class in 6v6 for some empirical evidence.

covenn

Post#67 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Did I offend you, mate? I'm terribly sorry.
Offend? No.

I was just pointing out how needless and pointless it was to throw that in at the end if you were interested in reasonable discussion.

If you were interested in just trolling, it was spot on.

Currently playing order

covenn

Post#68 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:noone decent has tested it on a BW against similar skilled opposition (all the BWs I see are pug farmers)
How do you nobody decent has tested it against similar skilled opposition?

I know two that have and are no longer playing the class because it is a liability rather than an asset outside of zerg farming.

Currently playing order

Ads
Penril

Post#69 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm

I see several sorcs/bws who many would not consider "skilled" still playing their classes, doing fine, and never complaining (in-game or in forums).

peterthepan3

Post#70 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

covenn wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:noone decent has tested it on a BW against similar skilled opposition (all the BWs I see are pug farmers)
How do you nobody decent has tested it against similar skilled opposition?

I know two that have and are no longer playing the class because it is a liability rather than an asset outside of zerg farming.
Because the small-scale hurr scene is so incestuous that news travels fast. Who?