Recent Topics

Ads

Worrier Priest advantage(s)?

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
martholomew

Re: Worrier Priest advantage(s)?

Post#41 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Ramasee wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:04 pm No, shouldnt be a big deal. No it isn't a major balance concern. No it doesn't have to be evened out. Yes it bothers many people.

However, balance is done faction-wide. Remove the idea of "mirrors" from your head and you will have a much better time. However, any balance changes you would like to suggest, feel free to put them in the gameplay and balance forum with hard data and evidence to back up your idea.
Maybe you're right. But I think Warrior Priests (And DOK), if they want to be a DPS, should have the option to spec into it and have real, valuable mechanics to offer besides pidgeonholing them into healing. More varied options is always a good thing. That's one thing I give WoW due credit for: They knew how to make different specs for hybrid classes stand on their own merit and not be immediately discounted.
Magus 40/78

Ads
Athergic

Post#42 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm

martholomew wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm
Ramasee wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:04 pm No, shouldnt be a big deal. No it isn't a major balance concern. No it doesn't have to be evened out. Yes it bothers many people.

However, balance is done faction-wide. Remove the idea of "mirrors" from your head and you will have a much better time. However, any balance changes you would like to suggest, feel free to put them in the gameplay and balance forum with hard data and evidence to back up your idea.
Maybe you're right. But I think Warrior Priests (And DOK), if they want to be a DPS, should have the option to spec into it and have real, valuable mechanics to offer besides pidgeonholing them into healing. More varied options is always a good thing. That's one thing I give WoW due credit for: They knew how to make different specs for hybrid classes stand on their own merit and not be immediately discounted.
If you immediately discount any class or think they aren't effective in the current state of this game, I think you are wrong.
They already have valuable mechanics, in the form of group wide buffs, the ability to melee in 2 different trees, or heal in 2 different trees. The actually damage trees both have a charge now at 15 points.

Also Consider WoW hyrbids are only balanced now because of mirroring, and in vanilla they were all forced to heal for progression.
Doom Diver front man
videos: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=24708

martholomew

Post#43 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Athergic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm

If you immediately discount any class or think they aren't effective in the current state of this game, I think you are wrong.
They already have valuable mechanics, in the form of group wide buffs, the ability to melee in 2 different trees, or heal in 2 different trees. The actually damage trees both have a charge now at 15 points.

Also Consider WoW hyrbids are only balanced now because of mirroring, and in vanilla they were all forced to heal for progression.
That's a very encouraging post to read, honestly. I'm glad to see that. However, I do see posts (on this very forum, mind you) that say if you aren't healing as a WP you are being stupid and should be booted, etc.

That mindset is pervasive, but I hope you are right, that a DPS WP/DOK are doing a good bit of contribution.
Magus 40/78

Athergic

Post#44 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:15 am

martholomew wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 pm
Athergic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm

That's a very encouraging post to read, honestly. I'm glad to see that. However, I do see posts (on this very forum, mind you) that say if you aren't healing as a WP you are being stupid and should be booted, etc.

That mindset is pervasive, but I hope you are right, that a DPS WP/DOK are doing a good bit of contribution.
I also see the posts, and comments in chat, it's frustrating. there are plenty of successful melee dok/wp on the server, they really shine in the proper group, but can also do great with just a guard.

I agree with you about the mindset, and encourage you to try it out for yourself :)
They are probably going to see some changes soon anyways.
Doom Diver front man
videos: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=24708

Unstoppable1776
Banned

Post#45 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:30 am

Almost an insta rez as dps, and guilty soul is an amazing tactic.

Khaines Imbudment(sp?) does like 405 dmg and doesn't heal yourself or defensive target where guility soul does and does like 907 dmg

martholomew

Post#46 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I watched an argument on off-topic chat last night in game. A guy was defending a DPS Warrior Priest and like 6 people were ganging up on the guy (or girl, i dunno), insulting them, cussing them, and just being general jerks over their opinion. I didn't want to get involved so I didn't defend them, but I should have.

His stance was that a DPS WP brings more to the table than just their DPS (Avatar buff, healing with damage done, AE rez, knockbacks, pulling DPS off of healers while healing them at the same time), but no matter what point he/she brought up, the 5-6 people were utterly convinced that DPS WP's were just stupid/"retarded"/useless and nothing can and should be done to remedy that or change their mind. They actually made the statement: "DPS WP are sitting ducks and will go down easily without a pocket heal" Well, so does any DPS if they get focused and don't have a pocket heal. Was a ridiculous statement to even make.

I have to say that that is where WoW shines. It made (for example Druids) a hybrid class compete quite well and offer unique mechanics to make them valuable in a party. A game fails when it refuses to let options be options.....and that's also partly why Live died. Why even give a class a DPS tree if they don't get to use it. I remember on the Live forums ages ago that a Dev even said they planned to work towards making each spec valuable and viable for each class, some situations where they shine and some where they don't, but should be able to hold their own.

This absolutely needs to happen here and it can and should be done. A DPS Warrior Priest, Rune Priest, Disciple of Khaine, Shaman and Archmage should ALL be a valid possibility, especially in a low population game where people need all the numbers they can get. Hell, DPS spec'd tanks should be possible, too. Is it really that difficult to tweak a few numbers and make them competitive? If a 2-hand DPS Black Orc can just faceroll someone, so ought any class spec'd to DPS.

It's unbelievably elitist and shortsighted, in my opinion, for those trolls to behave like they do when there are so few people available to even do Sieges and well established teams. They were so crappy to that guy, I wouldn't be surprised if they quit, when voicing an opinion about a class design becomes virtual gang violence 6 vs 1 :P . When you need 1 more mDPS and there is a DPS WP available who's good at his/her class, are you really going to turn them down when you don't have anybody else who wants to come with you? (perhaps because of your garbage way of treating someone on off-topic).
Magus 40/78

Sigimund

Post#47 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Vanilla WoW did not take hybrids seriously at all. Any suggestion of change was shouted down the way you saw. Fortunately that improved and now WoW players think it is normal for hybrids to have multiple viable specs. I think Azarael has some good ideas to help all three WP trees.

orillah
Suspended

Post#48 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Vanilla wow shamans can heal or do damage, same as druids, or priests, or paladins...he’ll druids and paladins can even tank! But meh it’s easier to dips do damage, heal - heal, tank - stay close to guarded ally.

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#49 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Unstoppable1776 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:30 am Almost an insta rez as dps, and guilty soul is an amazing tactic.

Khaines Imbudment(sp?) does like 405 dmg and doesn't heal yourself or defensive target where guility soul does and does like 907 dmg
Difference being one of them requires speccing into a Mastery tree?

Unstoppable1776
Banned

Post#50 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:43 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:34 pm
Unstoppable1776 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:30 am Almost an insta rez as dps, and guilty soul is an amazing tactic.

Difference being one of them requires speccing into a Mastery tree?
Difference does more dmg and heals.

Increase the dmg on KI but make it so it doesn't heal. Thats fair.