Recent Topics

Ads

Is it really a "bad" idea to start as a WH? AKA help a noob

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Darosh
Banned

Re: Is it really a "bad" idea to start as a WH? AKA help a noob

Post#31 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 am

Caleb wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:who are these groups that want nothing to do with WHs? bad groups, I guess? WH is awesome in group play with a comp supporting him. Happy to showcase its brilliance and link a few vids of WH group play from PoV of Csi.
Would love to see those WH PoV plays if your offer still stands! ^^ Everyone mentions this Csi as a WH, does he also have builds available maybe to help?
Csi is among the nicest - most enjoyable to play with - folks on this server.
I am certain he wouldn't mind a whisper asking for advice ~ provided you engage him accordingly.

Take everything the shitposters (not excluding myself here) in these forum write with a metric shitton of salt, especially if anything is concerned that even remotely edges towards balance.
Play whatever it is that you fancy the most, you can make everything work out ~ that is, if you make an actual effort to make it work out.

Just find folks that you enjoy playing with, preferably people that do not main meta-classes such as 'salt dispenser', 'ragequitter' and 'shitposter' - the latter is a coin toss; 50/50 on whether it is a 'bantersaurus rekt' or a garbagetier, low effort hybrid of the former two meta-classes in disguise.

Reach out to guilds and premades; ask them for advice, a spot or a trial run, if it doesn't work out start up your own derpsquad. Don't let deaths and losses get the better of you and discourage you, they are an integral part of any PvP game (RoR in particular), or you might end up stuck in a reroll-cycle and burn yourself out.
In 9/10 cases its not the class that doesn't suit one, but one's approach; group, format that is being played in, expectations, yadayada ~ swapping classes doesn't help it.

I'd suggest you stick to WH to see how it pans out for YOU... I wouldn't ditch my interests just because others have had a miserable experience (e.g.: [not] being invited to parties is a consequence of more than just class choice or performance), or hold a variety of (unrealistic) expectations.
Even if it were to play out all doom and gloom-ish, you'd still learn alot about the game and its quirks, given WH requires a more carefully planned out setup and awareness - playing particularly easy classes to start up can backfire just as badly as - if not worse than - playing a more challenging one; 'easy' classes teach bad habits more than anything, 'challenging' classes draw your attention to important, albeit small details that more often than not make or break engagements.
At worst you are being overwhelmed for a while, but you'd invetiably come out of it with a generally better unterstanding of mechanics and limitations (e.g.: compare: playing KotBS first, WH/x second - you'd be in for a rough awakening).

Abbd.:
Note that in the process of leveling, gearing and generally playing your WH, you will - or atleast should, I hope - make friends along the way. So, if you happen to be unsatisfied with your experience, you can reach out to your fellow derps and ask them for assistance. You might want to ask your group what class they'd fancy/need and reroll in accordance to that - knowing that you'll have a spot and that you'll be appreciated.
By the time you pick up a full T4 gear loadout of whatever composition, you will have - or atleast should have, I hope - realized that group>class, especially in terms of fun.
Mind you, a group starts with two players, and a duo roam partner would certainly appreciate a dedicated babysitter/synergy, too.

One more thing, in regards to the above:
A good (not just in terms of interpersonal skills, but also performance) group/guild will be happy to have you around ~ regardless of what class you play; they won't pester you to reroll or moan about you or your class 24/7. They will, at most, raise an issue once, get your opinion on it and move on. More importantly, they will talk with you about issues (with your performance) and ask you to respec, not demand it.
You are free to drop a group at any given point in time, so are they ~ issues will be resolved in an appropriate manner, or not at all.
Don't get your panties in a bunch if you encounter 'bantersaurus rekts' though, but meh ~ every group has its own dynamic.
Last edited by Darosh on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#32 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08 am

if you check twitch.tv/fusionlife you should see some pov play from Csi. unfortunately he left game, but if you have a question I can relay it to him the next time I see him.

Darosh
Banned

Post#33 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 am

peterthepan3 wrote:unfortunately he left game, but if you have a question I can relay it to him the next time I see him.
That means I never get to see his chickens again... oh, cruel world.

peterthepan3

Post#34 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 am

haha :p

roadkillrobin

Post#35 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 am

A tip for WH/WE while lvling up.
Don't go glass cannon. Max out parry the first 20 RR you get and slot defensive gear with STR talismans. The only thing you can't kill with this set up is gonna be premades.
The reason why you want defensive gear is to survive burst durning immobile CC's, something a tank normally only can help you do. This might give you that 10% extra survival that keeps you from getting stun-death and actually gives you a chance of getting out of harm to reposition yourself. If you slot full on offensive gear, rr and talismans the only thing you gonna manage to kill is lowbie soloers thats semi afk. If you go into a group of enemies full offensive geared without support you gonna die in 3 seconds.

Dabbart

Post#36 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 am

^^^ Very sound advice.

Btw, the VAST majority of groups ask for players by archtype. LF Healer/tank/dps. Sometimes they ask for specific mdps or rdps. As long as you assist and stick with the group, DPS is DPS. Play what you find fun. And WH's are a load of fun. Plus the Hats!
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.