Recent Topics

Ads

Is it really a "bad" idea to start as a WH? AKA help a noob

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
adamthelc

Re: Is it really a "bad" idea to start as a WH? AKA help a noob

Post#11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 am

I dont think the problem is with the class in group play. But I think they suffer in the same way all stealth classes in all games do when you look at the playerbase as a whole.

Lots of WHs arent great. People tend to operate independently of the group or stay stealthed too long and dont really contribute. The problem is exacerbated when you start to lose, if WHs werent doing their own thing before they start to at that point.

If its just 1 WH running around solo it might actually be a help but if you have 3+ your group is going to be hurting.

If you dont have a good sense of timing or awareness I dont think you will be good on one in group play. But you can always have a decent time running solo or ganking.

Ads
alusnova

Post#12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

CSI always had a healer with him, most WH are solo.

You are new to War, play whatever you want and learn the class , I only play solo classes because I don't want to commit to guilds schedules , etc nor do I have tons of time so I have a WE,WH and WL and I can tell you I enjoy my WE/WH but I also don't get frustrated when i die a lot , the truth is WH/WE are not better for group play than slayer/choppa, WL/Maura and they don't have the range that SW,Engies,etc have .

Generally in a scenario with a lot of WH for example or too many WE = a loss for the team, I had problems finding groups for BL so I actively created my groups still took me a bit since I'm not guildies, on my WL got it in a couple of days.

Anyways the key is to have fun , get a guild so you get invited , learn the game and have fun but remember the order realm is lacking tanks and healers and another WH or WL will continue with the class imbalance .

Mavella

Post#13 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:51 am

A mdps is only as good as the support that props him up to let him work. Unfortunately WH/WE suffer the most from continual focus when facing competent groups. You will be constantly snared and you don't have the benefit of medium armor/charge/pounce/pull. Stealth is OK but pales in comparison to those tools in group play. Additionally good players won't give you their back and you only get 10sec every 60sec where that isn't an issue with FP(WE get a tactic to lower FP cooldown at least.) don't let this dissuade you though both classes can be strong in solo and group play. WE have arguably a harder time with solo play atm with the loss of cleansing wind and resolute defense. BAL does a lot of damage and guardian spec WLs are a dime a dozen at the moment. There are some definite growing pains between level 32 and rr50 for WH/WE where you access all your tools but it certainly isn't insurmountable. Good luck.

Elmuerto

Post#14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Should point out some of the main abilities have positional requirements to be behind the target, Pistol Whip, Burn Away lies, Silence the Heretic (damage portion), Torment, Snap Shot Snare (which cannot also be used at short range). Yes you have have Feinted position for 5 whole GCDs every minute however understandably objectively one could wonder what kind of lunatic would play a WH.

However sneaking into keeps is pretty fun.

With Cleansing Winds being removed it's a tad annoying in that SOM for any WH soloing is a must requiring you spec into Conf.

peterthepan3

Post#15 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Mystry wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:who are these groups that want nothing to do with WHs? bad groups, I guess? WH is awesome in group play with a comp supporting him. Happy to showcase its brilliance and link a few vids of WH group play from PoV of Csi.
Anything a WH can do in a group, a Slayer or WL can do, and better, and people know this. One BiS- geared WH with a dedicated group of his friends who are also highly geared does not set a standard for the class as a whole.

a wh is more potent than either of those classes against a competent healer, hence why csi mained it over the others. being able to deliver undetaunted burst for several seconds is HUGELY underrated. exit wound or abso spam spec with a swordmaster = incredible.

also, wh stagger is a **** amazing piece of cc when used properly; severely **** over tanks, allowing group to push to healers.

anarchypark

Post#16 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:44 pm

follow your heart.
it's only bad in bad hands.
enjoy the learning course.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Renork

Post#17 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm

catholicism198 wrote:
Mystry wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:who are these groups that want nothing to do with WHs? bad groups, I guess? WH is awesome in group play with a comp supporting him. Happy to showcase its brilliance and link a few vids of WH group play from PoV of Csi.
Anything a WH can do in a group, a Slayer or WL can do, and better, and people know this. One BiS- geared WH with a dedicated group of his friends who are also highly geared does not set a standard for the class as a whole.
As they said in the 90s,

Word.
I think the point Peter was trying to make is that they are a viable class. Would a WL or Slayer take their spot? probably, lol

Caleb

Post#18 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:14 am

To ask further then, If I'd roll a Swordmaster would I be generally useful? I like that the most from the Order tanks, but most people just recommend KotBS, so kinda scared to start SM

Ads
Mystry
Suspended

Post#19 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 am

Caleb wrote:To ask further then, If I'd roll a Swordmaster would I be generally useful? I like that the most from the Order tanks, but most people just recommend KotBS, so kinda scared to start SM
Yes. All three tanks are 'good'.

adamthelc

Post#20 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:01 am

Caleb wrote:To ask further then, If I'd roll a Swordmaster would I be generally useful? I like that the most from the Order tanks, but most people just recommend KotBS, so kinda scared to start SM
I would ignore what everyone says. Play what you want and find a way to be useful with it.

The only real thing to consider is with dps. Large scale battles can limit mdps much more than rdps.