Recent Topics

Ads

WP melee question

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
HolySpartan

WP melee question

Post#1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:57 am

Not looking to go DPS WP, more like a melee, tanky healer. Is there a build for that? I mostly hear about long range healing with book or just people trying DPS WP. I've never played much at t4, but the playstyle of being melee support sounds neat.

Ads
Rydiak

Re: WP melee question

Post#2 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 am

Grace is the melee-heal tree for Warrior Priests, though it tends to be a little underpowered right now. Also, slotting for Divine Fury and Fanaticism (which boost the healing output of your melee heals) will make you completely ineffective at casted heals. http://www.ror.builders/career/warrior- ... ,4189,4184

I've actually been experimenting with a hybrid heal build with decent success recently. Extremely gear dependent though.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

roadkillrobin

Post#3 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:26 am

Yes there is. It's also very, very good.
What you want is spending 20 rr in Parry and 20 in Deft Defender. Spend remaining points in crit reduction.

Build:
RoR.builders - Warrior Priest

Swap out: Sheild if Faith for Emperor's Ward if your not up against casters.

This is a melee range healer build, meaning it's not a melee attack focused healer build. You need to be very selective when using melee healing coz you don't have much striketrough and will be parried alot of you don't position yourself correctly. The base heal of SR with the tactic is actually pretty good with an average heal of 400-550. 2-3 hits and your back up to almoast full RF again while actually healing.

anarchypark

Post#4 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:41 pm

it's really hard to play imo.
first, you need experience of the game.
targeting, positioning, when to push and fallback,
names of debuff, rotations etc.

every build have pros and cons.
1. put all ST healing to yourself to stay alive.
it's like dps build. you need dmg tactic cuz dmg = heal amount.
but KD, disarm,kite, whatever stops you doing melee will kill you.

2. casting heal + melee heal
RoR.builders - Warrior Priest
i'm running this rr60 build.
abandon ST burst heal. survive CC with HoT.
weak in every part. although you can withstand rdps while standing at front with 50+% disrupt. thx to new defense mechanic.
fast RF charge with melee and spam 2sec group heal among the melees.

most importantly
you need friendly meat shields.
or it's melee supporter without melees. sadly it happens a lot.

once in a while it works. that makes me keep going melee healer.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

peterthepan3

Post#5 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 pm

I can't envision a melee focused build in which you don't pick up AoE detaunt; it's just too good not to have. If you have a tank that can swap to you when you're focused, then the above builds look good; but a melee WP (dps/heal/melee heal - whatever it is) will always be among the first targets to focus, and necessitating permaguard on you when focused will be removing guard away from a MDPS, when you could just AoE detaunt and survive all damage easily.

The worst spec you can probably be on a melee WP is one that has no AoE detaunt - particularly in pug encounters.

Rydiak

Post#6 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:05 pm

I miss the days when Great Hammers came with innate Intimidating Repent.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

ashton007

Post#7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:00 am

I think it needs more damage. No one is scared of a melee WP because it can't really drop you the way a DoK can even in melee healer spec.

anarchypark

Post#8 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 pm I can't envision a melee focused build in which you don't pick up AoE detaunt; it's just too good not to have. If you have a tank that can swap to you when you're focused, then the above builds look good; but a melee WP (dps/heal/melee heal - whatever it is) will always be among the first targets to focus, and necessitating permaguard on you when focused will be removing guard away from a MDPS, when you could just AoE detaunt and survive all damage easily.

The worst spec you can probably be on a melee WP is one that has no AoE detaunt - particularly in pug encounters.
When you detaunt melees, rdps kill you.
detaunt rdps and melee train kill you.
punt = wasted detaunt.
second wave = detaunt on CD.
targeting sorc while in melee = pain.

I found high willpower HoT+disrupt were working well against rdps.
I can focus on melee cuz
pious restoration/divine light don't need target.
unless our melees ran away, i can support them, right behind front line.

540str 440 willpower 50disript 3.xk armor.
HoT + SR + grp heal spam.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Ads
Snoxx

Post#9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:25 pm

I've also played around with different melee healing and hybrid builds.

Basically you have 2 options:

1) salvation/grace:
Spec salvation (group hot, absorb shield) and grace (better melee heals tactic, sigmars shield, maybe even wounds buff). You can run with 1h+book, willpower/cast-healer equip and swap between casted heals and your melee heal (Sigmars Radiance). Because you are hybrid spec, either heal is super-strong, but you can heal non-stop. Once you run out of RF, use the melee heal instead. Once you run out of AP, use the casted heals instead. No viable target near? Spam casted heals. "Divine Assault" is useless in this build because you have very low strength and use no damage-increasing tactics.
Biggest problem of that spec: You have to be at the frontline (or at least close to it), but you lack aoe detaunt.

2) grace/wrath:
Spec full grace to get all the melee healing abilities. Wrath spec is only to get aoe detaunt. Run with melee equip and melee/damage tactics, grab that 2-handed hammer, use melee heals to help your group and try to stay alive. Slot aoe detaunt and use it on cooldown, it helps a lot!
Biggest problem of that spec: Your casted heals are very weak. Without a soft target to swing your hammer at, you are utterly useless. So you have to stay and fight at the frontline at all times.

Both options will cause you to die a lot, either because you run around near the frontline without aoe detaunt (spec 1), or because you have to fight at the frontline at all times (spec 2).

HissiCNesS

Post#10 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm

The WP will strike back! More powerful than ever before! Just wait for it, HIS-TIME-WILL-COME!!
Crondar Ravenclaw (MA) / Rennoc Fleshtearer (BG)
Adrovar Warpbender (MG) / Kurgog Gorkamork (BO)

Wigbrand Jaeger (WH) / Lorandriel Moonfang (SW)
Belenos Endovelicus (BW) / Brawlgrim Thunderaxe (SL)

AVENGE THE DEAD, FREE THE ENSLAVED!