[BW] What am i doing wrong

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
odikee

[BW] What am i doing wrong

Post#1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi! Can you help mw with my BW?
I'm new to game and i think i'm doing it smth wrong.
BW is 40/50, with onslaught set, genesis jew.
6300 hp / 900 int / 21 crit / 350 resists /1800 armor. all buffed.
I can't name a single class that not getting me shred into pieces in two global cooldowns 1 on 1. An thats ok fir a glass cannon guy i suppose.
But I hit my hardest 500-800 crits with 3 second cast fireballs. But more often is disrupt disript etc.
Guys say i must kite with dots in sc's and 1vs1. Is that how this class is meant to be played?
Is there a point in getting rr and more BW play experience and better gear or it would always be the same?
Like land a goot 2400 crit on that SH.

Ads
BeautfulToad

Re: [BW] What am i doing wrong

Post#2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:07 pm

One way to play is go the aoe spec, find a guard, and spam your short range aoe spells. Probably highest damage output in game right now.

Paxsanarion

Post#3 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 pm

DirkDaring

Post#4 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Mix 4 piece onslaught with 2 piece Conq or Vanquisher, to increase crit chance, along with wounds/crit linment. if doing Scenario use this spec, the last 4 points are up to you, you can take the heal debuff, until more points for stop drop and roll, or FBB, normally heal debuff is covered by melee class, this is heavy single target spec for scenarios and assisting on targets. if need be swap out fueled from within, and slot endless knowledge if low on intel.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,3561,3531

You need more wounds try and aim for 8k wounds, if you are getting a lot of disrupts is due to lower intel, and maybe targeting tanks, the lower intel can be useful if fishing for flashfire procs, but due to flashfire nerf, not sure if its still viable anymore.

The link provided above me to Bombling post is a good guide, as well, mostly on aoe builds, but still useful overall. with gear, liniment, staff, and 100 combustion, you should be close to 70% chance to crit or higher

This is link to Bombling BW guide, lots of useful info as well here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Bf ... QQ030/edit

you can also spec for burn through, for those pesky targets that take little damage due to high toughness etc, and don`t overlook meltdown, its counts as moral damage , so can use it at 90 + combustion, for undefened 750 damage with 1200 burn through fireball right before , then hit sear + nova to get back to 100 combustion fast. .
Last edited by DirkDaring on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ExcretusMaximus

Post#5 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 pm

odikee wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:57 pm What am i doing wrong

You're playing a class that is built around having heals and guard at all times, solo.
<Countered By Skill> & <RUN AWAY>
...........(active)...................(inactive)

odikee

Post#6 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:46 pm

is that kind of exceptional DD class made for parties in ROR?
Bcause i see other ranged dps quite having fun in this game w/o guarding and heals

odikee

Post#7 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:52 pm

DirkDaring wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 pm Mix 4 piece onslaught with 2 piece Conq or Vanquisher, to increase crit chance, along with wounds/crit linment. if doing Scenario use this spec, the last 4 points are up to you, you can take the heal debuff, until more points for stop drop and roll, or FBB, normally heal debuff is covered by melee class, this is heavy single target spec for scenarios and assisting on targets. if need be swap out fueled from within, and slot endless knowledge if low on intel.

You need more wounds try and aim for 8k wounds, if you are getting a lot of disrupts is due to lower intel, and maybe targeting tanks, the lower intel can be useful if fishing for flashfire procs, but due to flashfire nerf, not sure if its still viable anymore.

The link provided above me to Bombling post is a good guide, as well, mostly on aoe builds, but still useful overall. with gear, liniment, staff, and 100 combustion, you should be close to 70% chance to crit or higher

you can also spec for burn through, for those pesky targets that take little damage due to high toughness etc, and don`t overlook meltdown, its counts as moral damage , so can use it at 90 + combustion, for undefened 750 damage with 1200 burn through fireball right before , then hit sear + nova to get back to 100 combustion fast. .
Thanks sir, burn through is something i missed. I'll try that build aswell.
As for wounds i thought that i didn't matter. if my 6k hp is drained to zero literally in two seconds by some SH or Sorc then 8k also would. Need to try this more hp build. So it is needed to maximize last breath damage :D

DirkDaring

Post#8 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:06 pm

odikee wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:52 pm
DirkDaring wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 pm Mix 4 piece onslaught with 2 piece Conq or Vanquisher, to increase crit chance, along with wounds/crit linment. if doing Scenario use this spec, the last 4 points are up to you, you can take the heal debuff, until more points for stop drop and roll, or FBB, normally heal debuff is covered by melee class, this is heavy single target spec for scenarios and assisting on targets. if need be swap out fueled from within, and slot endless knowledge if low on intel.

Thanks sir, burn through is something i missed. I'll try that build aswell.
As for wounds i thought that i didn't matter. if my 6k hp is drained to zero literally in two seconds by some SH or Sorc then 8k also would. Need to try this more hp build. So it is needed to maximize last breath damage :D
Can never go wrong with high hp on a BW , due to our mechanic, at 100 combustion each backlash is 400 + damage to you, plus having high hp allows you to survive moral dumps, and gives healers a chance to heal you before you die.

Heres a link to Bomblings BW guide, theres a lot of info in there, good read for newer players , I mained a 90 sorc, and 96 bw on live and have a 82 bw here even tho i`ve been away for a long time it`s still a fun class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Bf ... QQ030/edit

Ads
navis

Post#9 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:48 am

If you are dying that much don't even think about going AOE spec. Besides you get Fiery Blast as core ability and it does a good job when you time it right.
The easiest spec is the Withering Heat (for the snare which doesn't grant immunity).
If you want more spike dmg then there is two tactics in the Single Target tree and focus on your corporeal dealing abilities.
Fireball is slow and unreliable, although it is still a good choice. Spec Tree 2, then 1. That is my advice.
But truth be told, you will always be an easy class to kill and won't get a lot of offensive power unless your team already has an edge. That is my experience at least.

Lots of other tips in the mentioned posts.

This is roughly my survive and single target spec.

Pop Misdirection when other casters are targeting you, Shield and taunt when tanks/melee are, use Withering Heat and run from them while dotting Ignite, Detonate, BB, Sear, WH again.

Time your M2 Ruin and Destruction for when allies are hitting hard, then get out of range ASAP.

At higher rank you can add Fireball Barrage to the rotation. Use Fireball when enemies are stuck/stunned.

laxninja

Post#10 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:22 am

RR74 BW and here's my honest review. Others will have different opinions and that's great. I'm just going to tell you what I would tell my RR1 BW self.

Expect a rollercoaster of emotions.

Skill Expression: I'm not bad but I'm not great. Today, I 1v1'd a Chosen who did nothing but eat everything I threw at him. After kiting, sprinting, potting, he eventually caught up to me, hit me 3-4 times and I died. This is normal. It used to upset me but it doesn't anymore. If you want to be able to solo other classes, you have to be more skilled than your average player. And here's the thing: even then, you'd probably solo way better on another class. However, AoE BW isn't complicated so long as you have guard/heals (otherwise it's suicidal). Most people take BW for AoE damage.

Damage: AoE damage is great with guards/dedicated healers. I've topped city DPS multiple times. It's an adrenaline rush. Single target damage is...alright. I have opinions about what I think BW's role is (more below) but here's the thing: You can do everything right and still do unfulfilling damage. Our DPS lives and dies by criticals and if your not lucky, you can literally do more damage to yourself than to others. Gear helps a lot. Experience helps a lot. READ THE GUIDES.

Role / Meta : Think you can out damage a healer's heals? Nope. Think you can focus a tank and kill him with a rotation? Nope. Want to just kill yourself against a s/b BG? Okay! Compared to other MMOs, this game is designed to force people to focus fire. I've been in city fights that lasted 10 minutes and no one died on either team. This is a feature of the game, not a bug. As a BW, you are a funnel for damage that is slightly higher than other DPS. We're talking margins here - and that's why, to me, it feels punishing and rewarding at the same time.

Because tanks/healers are very strong in this game, spike damage is king. Spike damage is the only way you'll kill anyone. BW can do great spike but it takes gear and practice. Lot's of practice. Here's the thing: in higher tiers, you alone will never be enough to kill someone. And that's a reflection of the game design, not you. That's why focus fire is crucial in this game and why spike damage is king. You're role as AoE? Suppress the heals. You're role as single target? Spike the target.

TL;DR - You are a slightly more powerful and significantly more fragile DPS class. Unless you have a dedicated Guild/Team, I honestly wouldn't recommend BW unless you're in love with the class mechanics.