Recent Topics

Ads

New Player asking about SM & AM

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
bertinrow84

New Player asking about SM & AM

Post#1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:17 am

I haven't played Warhammer in a long time and looking to get into RoR. Was looking at Swordmaster and Archmage and was wondering if you guys could tell me a little about them. Last time I played i was on Chaos and played a Black Orc and a Chosen. Are either of these classes fun and what kind of role do they fill? I'm pretty SM is a tank and AM is a caster I would assume.
Valdon - Warrior Priest of Sigmar
Sternheart - Knight of the Blazing Sun

Ads
Kurama

Re: New Player asking about SM & AM

Post#2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 am

Swordmaster is the Black Orc mirror so you should be familiar. AM is the weakest healer on Order.
DOK 8x
Zealot 8x
Shaman 8x
BO 7x

WP 8x
RP 8x
AM 8x

bertinrow84

Post#3 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 am

Well that makes it easy, thanks. How are the other two High Elf classes? They any fun/good?

Kurama

Post#4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 am

Any toon is good on the right hands. Shadow Warrior is a ranged dps not too hard to play.
The White Lion is a melee dps with lots of mobility and burst dmg, but i would stay away from since they are undergoing many changes recently.
DOK 8x
Zealot 8x
Shaman 8x
BO 7x

WP 8x
RP 8x
AM 8x

MayoDaen78

Post#5 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 am

I never played AM but have played SM,and it's my main. It's quite fun, and as other said if you played BOrc before, you would find SM is very similar in terms of class mechanic.
Ezraim - SM 7x
Tessaline - WP 5x
Binary - BW 6x

kkprfx

Post#6 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 am

AM is definitely not the weakest healer on order, has the highest HPS out of the three while being the most squish.
Gabber

Telen
Suspended

Post#7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 am

AM isnt the worst healer on order. It does need the most babysitting though. It will outheal the others if protected or left alone.
SM is the worst 'tank tank' on order. Both others are better at certain tank duties but it is the best of the 3 for dps.
High Elf classes are about mobility and high dps.

Ramasee

Post#8 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Sword master is a tank that gains benefit from constantly attacking. Blade enchantment provide group buffs and many self buffs require hitting targets. Their mechanic is a 1-2-3 rotation with the benefits being no cost perfect stance (3) abilities and generally slightly smaller cooldowns since you do not have as easy access to abilities. All in all it is the more active tank, but this playstyle is exclusive with hold the line.

Archmages are potent healers with the worst base defensive stats in the game. Most of their tactics focus on more output or efficiency creating the glass cannon of healers. Also have instant rez capabilities, morale pump, aoe cleanse (nowadays), and they wet themselves when people come near (aoe snare glyph). Their mechanic is that more offensive spells improve your next healing spells cast, and give versa. However this mechanic goes largely unutilized due to its poor orginal design when paired with other game systems and RoR staff haven't quite figured out how to make it work yet.

They are both solid classes for their designed role.

Ads
Sigimund

Post#9 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:12 pm

I think the AM mechanic is finally in a good place atm for healing. It makes you mobile and even more AP efficient.

Can't comment on pure dps as I haven't tried playing the new mechanic as a pure DPS.

bertinrow84

Post#10 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Well, I'm a big fan of Warhammer lore, and I find it kind of disheartening that High Elven Archmages, who are according to lore the most powerful spellcasters beside the Slann to be reduced to just a healing role.