Recent Topics

Ads

SW : is it inevitably trash in good warbands ?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Kaozium

SW : is it inevitably trash in good warbands ?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello there,

I'm returning after a very long break and my only 40 char is a 40/52 SW with full conq/subj/gen. I want to play in warbands and do some range damage. Now I understand that BWs have "RDPS" tattooed on their forehead and I'm okay with SW being less violent, they have other advantages (Glass arrow, Eye shot, Shadow sting are just so satisfying to use in small encounters).

My question is simple, is there a skirmish build that will get me a spot in a non-pug wb (with support tactics and all), or is SW inevitably kicked aside like a plagued rat in the streets of Nuln ?

While I'm here, same question for Change Magus if there are any experts on the subject.

Ads
BeautfulToad

Re: SW : is it inevitably trash in good warbands ?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Most non-pug wbs will accept SW unless they have "AOE Bomb" dps in the /5 advert. Been in many with SWs and many people like them. General feeling (I believe) is that mSW is stronger as than rSW. Main problem is that only 1-2 SWs will get accepted. Most order wbs have a policy of "go whatever you want", particularly outside of peak EU where wb leaders get enough people to be fussy.

Magus has solid aoe spec so will be accepted in aoe/bomb groups as well.

Manatikik

Post#3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

SW is bad in a WB. If you are in a decent WB vs a subpar WB in City it’s not a big deal as long as you’re the only hindrance to the WB DPS-wise. In Forts/ORvR then you’re useless all around except for M4 drops.

SW excels in small scale as a melee though; and with full offensive Sov the nerfs to ST skirmish will be alleviated from 2017. Granted, with full BiS gear you will be the second worst ST dps in the game, but that’s better than the worst that they currently are right now.
<Montague><Capulet>

Kaozium

Post#4 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Thank you both for your honest replies. I've never tried BW so it would be a good idea for me to try it out, maybe I'll love it. I could keep the SW for more casual play or smaller scale.

Wam

Post#5 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Kaozium wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm Hello there,

I'm returning after a very long break and my only 40 char is a 40/52 SW with full conq/subj/gen. I want to play in warbands and do some range damage. Now I understand that BWs have "RDPS" tattooed on their forehead and I'm okay with SW being less violent, they have other advantages (Glass arrow, Eye shot, Shadow sting are just so satisfying to use in small encounters).

My question is simple, is there a skirmish build that will get me a spot in a non-pug wb (with support tactics and all), or is SW inevitably kicked aside like a plagued rat in the streets of Nuln ?

While I'm here, same question for Change Magus if there are any experts on the subject.
Magus is better, destro has more flexibility

SW is bad, like very bad unless you are super desperate ... it doesnt compete with BW or Slayer ... if you are taking SW and organised atm unless you are a roleplay racial guild you are limiting your chances before you begin. But its personal taste, order's problem as a realm is so many WH/WL/SW ... and lack of tanks too, so puny dps in big scale and lack of guard (support) makes them even worse and then order is outnumbered generally too.

It really depends on the leader and how strict or knowledegable they are or lack of alternatives... but game is for fun if you have fun being a elf then by all means go for it, but if you are someone who wants to be more effective other choices are superior as things stand.
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]

Kaozium

Post#6 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm

@Wam Thanks for the analysis. It really sounds like I should forget playing SW and concentrate on Destro, or try BW out.

Ototo

Post#7 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:25 am

Kaozium wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm @Wam Thanks for the analysis. It really sounds like I should forget playing SW and concentrate on Destro, or try BW out.
Engi is nice and funny, and has lots of group buffing. They actually have a WB spot assured to debuff corporeal damage for BWs and to add pressure to the mass with Coordinated Fire and Pierce Defense tactics. It's a very decent class.
Spoiler:

Xergon

Post#8 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 am

Kaozium wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm Hello there,

U can make SW Skirmsher be usefull in WB but setup to do that is super hard, and even when u match all stuff u need to execute u will most likely be still behind BW/Slayer in DPS value.

I have full invader SW, with tactic ExpertSkirmisher ur job is to spam Lileath Arrows while u have any enemy target within 20ft, that allows u to reach 1s cast on frontal 65ft ability, with around 700+ WS u can provide good dmg numbers. The issue is LA is very terrain dependent, which means, if there is too much Z axis difference between u n ur target u will not do dmg.

If u love SW nothing stops u to play it and make ur own WBs/Guild to break meta, but otherwise most likely no organized WB will pick u up.

spec u would want to use would look something like that:
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,3951,3961
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Ads
phononHYPE

Post#9 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am

Assault SW is pretty strong small or solo at about 60, so if you don't mind grinding out those next few ranks I'd say go for that. It will also let you get readjusted to changes since you've been gone. This from choppa POV, I envy ASWs melee abilities.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Ototo

Post#10 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 pm

phononHYPE wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am Assault SW is pretty strong small or solo at about 60, so if you don't mind grinding out those next few ranks I'd say go for that. It will also let you get readjusted to changes since you've been gone. This from choppa POV, I envy ASWs melee abilities.
Since 50, but the trouble is that you need gear. This is the build that I use when in group. I use this other to run solo.
Spoiler: