Recent Topics

Ads

[AM] Thoughts

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Starx

[AM] Thoughts

Post#1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am

I've been playing nothing but AM for the past 2 weeks, it's the only character I have right now and I'm not really in the mood to reroll so im sticking with it and ill probably hit RR70 this week. I've played solo, in organized warbands for cities/forts and guild/pug 6 mans fighting the destro zerg pretty much every aspect imaginable. I don't think I've ever played a class so frustrating in this game, so much about the kit of this class is a mess and comparing it to other healers just makes me feel bad. I want to address a bunch of things and hopefully you guys can tell me if what im feeling is just misconceptions and let me know what im doing wrong or if my whole way of thinking is off. I want to like this class, I want to get better but like i said it's frustrating.

First thing is what is this class mechanic? It seems like it wants to encourage me to weave in DPS spells but with 240 int im getting disrupted half the time, the damage is absolutely pitiful and i just do not ever see myself taking advantage of this mechanic in its current form to do anything meaningful in a real fight.

Utility wise im packing 2 debuffs that currently dont even have a home on my action bar bc of how shitty they are. Every single order group has a knight, he has these debuffs (which are also buffs) oh and they uh cant be cleansed, are always up dont cost a gcd on a class that responsible for healing... you get it. Oh and group buff? Oh ya I got a resist buff that the knight is also giving the group... No cool **** like RP making sure everyone has infinite AP, WP unique buffs, res rune, useful stat buffs like ini or wounds. It's just sad. Puddle? Ya its nice but you know what's nicer? Perma 40% aoe snare from knight. Knight just takes this class to cuckshed. The only thing we really have is AP drain which is offset by having a zealot?, and morale pump for solar flare in warband vs warband and idk if you guys ever tried just spamming a 2.5 sec cast heal into a tank that probably doesn't need it for 20-30 seconds while also keeping your group up but its the definition of not fun at all gameplay.

Healing wise I find this to be the absolute worst solo healer ever. Everyone says its such a great class for a kite group except when you realize that to do any meaningful healing you have to STAND STILL at some point. Have fun doing that while kiting a group enjoy getting staggered, punted in, pulled by mara, pounced on by MSH etc... One of my strongest healing tools has a 60 sec cooldown, and RP gets it as a proc from a tactic that can effect the entire group. RP is just flat out a better kite group/mobile healer. Has better buffs can self res, deal with pressure blah blah blah... the disgusting amount of procs they can get just from throwing a hot on someone and flash healing while being completely mobile.

AP drain getting disrupted all the time, Silence getting disrupted all the time...Lifetaps were tombstone piledrived 6ft under to never return to relevancy.

I enjoy the challenge, you know you have to be very predictive with your heals bc you don't really have oh **** buttons, you need to be casting that boon before their hp even moves, you have to see damage coming before it does. While also being extremely careful with your positioning, keeping in mind who you want to AP drain, keeping tabs on their healers for silence opportunities, and making decisions like ok this guys healdebuffed this next GCD is better used silencing this sorc hitting him that slamming a shitty heal into him EHP wise, constantly thinking where your next puddle might go, keeping the right people always hotted up bc i don't have some cheesy group hot or absorb... but am I really getting more out of this than the ape smashing his keyboard on WP or the guy on RP playing half asleep? I want to like this class, I want to get better but like I said it's frustrating maybe you guys can help me?

Ads
Ototo

Re: [AM] Thoughts

Post#2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 am

Old gamer rant, read at your own risk:
Spoiler:
Most of this is true, but it can be pinned down to destro mSHs jumping on you and dealing their lovely CD increase, or to being randomly pulled all the time, or whatever cheese cake is thrown at your face.

My experience differs in that, while I have passed that, it's much more powerful and efficient when the enemy team doesn't have mSHs or guarded Choppas. Without the pull-mele-meta present the class is actually very good, but drop in 2 broken classes and AM, which is a decently balanced class, just tear down.

To sum up, this experience happens when you are playing any correctly balanced class versus some broken cheese class: mSHs, WL in 1vs1, 2h BOrk, aSW, etc... and to be honest, one of the best things that happened to this server was Torquemada leaving. Every thing he touched, is a complete mess hard to fix now. When you face the classes he touched with the ones he left safely untouched, you feel the powercreep. You can deal with the other classes, but not with the ones that still retain changes from his era. Maybe he was a great coder, and I seriously thank him for helping the project grow, but he was also a terrible balance developer, and we are still paying his misconceptions in classes that shouldn't have to, like AMs in example.
I would appreciate to not have any quote or response to this, and if you did, thanks for reading.
Spoiler:

Arbich
Suspended

Post#3 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:13 am

RP has better toolkit than AM and I always thought that Kobs resist buff should be the same as his debuff (150..something).

Said this, here are the strong stuff about AM:
You have single and AoE detaunt on ok cooldowns. WP has only one detaunt and the kind of AoE detaunt of RP has high cooldown (and is theoretically shatterable).

The puddle is super strong and an addition to tank snares or when they get outmanoeuvred.

Desperation tactic provide some extremely high heals, although I think a possible buff to AM could be a slightly change to when this tactic kicks in (it's already mandatory anyway)

Switching between dps and heal as mainhealer (aka play the mechanic) is useless, you are correct.

Toughness AoE debuff is useful to cover other debuffs (slayer ID for example) from DoK aoe cleanse.

And most important: AM is more fun. RP and especially WP are really boring as healers.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Starx

Post#4 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 am

Ya having 2 detaunt is nice, esp when one is an AoE so you can just slam it to react to a WE or better yet time when you see one stealth to the time it takes to get to you and pre pop it and deny them their entire opener + KD.

I thought of using the debuffs as cover but man if that's all something is good for is it not an indicator of the state of it?

And ya AM is more fun, I ended up picking it because of all the healers it had the most viable dps spec on order. I wanted to play something that people would find useful or want even if it was low RR/Gear and be able to transition into dps.

blechkautz

Post#5 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 am

Ototo wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 am Old gamer rant, read at your own risk:
Spoiler:
Most of this is true, but it can be pinned down to destro mSHs jumping on you and dealing their lovely CD increase, or to being randomly pulled all the time, or whatever cheese cake is thrown at your face.

My experience differs in that, while I have passed that, it's much more powerful and efficient when the enemy team doesn't have mSHs or guarded Choppas. Without the pull-mele-meta present the class is actually very good, but drop in 2 broken classes and AM, which is a decently balanced class, just tear down.

To sum up, this experience happens when you are playing any correctly balanced class versus some broken cheese class: mSHs, WL in 1vs1, 2h BOrk, aSW, etc... and to be honest, one of the best things that happened to this server was Torquemada leaving. Every thing he touched, is a complete mess hard to fix now. When you face the classes he touched with the ones he left safely untouched, you feel the powercreep. You can deal with the other classes, but not with the ones that still retain changes from his era. Maybe he was a great coder, and I seriously thank him for helping the project grow, but he was also a terrible balance developer, and we are still paying his misconceptions in classes that shouldn't have to, like AMs in example.
I would appreciate to not have any quote or response to this, and if you did, thanks for reading.
But why are posting it then, when it's not really relevant to the thread and on top of it wrong?
The "problems" healing AM has, is not based on the existance of mSH and Choppa pull. And getting "pulled all the time" by a Choppa indicates poor position by the Am btw. It's not like your heals outrange that pull by a lot.

Jabba

Post#6 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:35 pm

blechkautz wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 am
Spoiler:

But why are posting it then, when it's not really relevant to the thread and on top of it wrong?
The "problems" healing AM has, is not based on the existance of mSH and Choppa pull. And getting "pulled all the time" by a Choppa indicates poor position by the Am btw. It's not like your heals outrange that pull by a lot.
Because all he does is whine about MsH and Choppa pull
Tushi Splats Tush Emoalbino Podge

Ototo

Post#7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm

Jabba wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:35 pm
Spoiler:

Aaaaaaaand ignored. Easy :D
Spoiler:

Sulorie

Post#8 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm

Ototo wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm
Forums are not your thing, when you can't handle a discussion. Think about it.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Ototo

Post#9 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Sulorie wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Spoiler:

Can't you differentiate between discussing something and insulting a person? Maybe then you are the one that needs to think about it.
Spoiler:

Sulorie

Post#10 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Ototo wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:20 pm
Sulorie wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Spoiler:

Can't you differentiate between discussing something and insulting a person? Maybe then you are the one that needs to think about it.
You felt insulted by me in other threads, when I only argued against your statements and this "Don't quote me"-attitude doesn't fit into a forum at all. People only react to something they think isn't right and apparently at some point their responses appear to be personal.

Let's agree to disagree and get back on topic. :^)
Dying is no option.