Recent Topics

Ads

[AM] Archmage question.

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Feidam

[AM] Archmage question.

Post#1 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:08 pm

I know there is a lot of strong opinions regarding healing vs dps etc. I like both styles of play with the Archmage, could always have two sets of gear and just respec when I need a change of pace, but has anyone successfully created a hybrid option? I prefer large scale ORvR btw. Something that can dps decently and off heal assisting the healers. Keep thinking about my old daoc cave shaman and would like to try and get that flexibility. If not I’ll go the two sets of gear route.

Ads
Caduceus

Re: [AM] Archmage question.

Post#2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 pm

I have been thinking about this as well.

It seems there are some possibilities with Path of Vaul abilities that turn damage into healing, making you potentially still a decent healer while gearing for damage/utility.

Perhaps such a setup would be useful in small group PvP (probably less so in large WBs), though I haven't tried it and I am not yet that experienced with AM to be able to tell if it is any good.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Drys

Post#3 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm

It can be done (at least in lower/mid tiers) as long as you have reasonable expectations (and don't forget to heal). You won't fill the role of a primary healer, but can take the pressure off other healers by keeping group topped up with group heal, DOTs/HOTs, and life taps -- plus shields/cleanses.
Spoiler:
Drystav - Magus 40/6X
Drysthex - Zealot 40/4X
Drystzyk - Chosen 40/5X
Drystax - Mara 24/2X

Drystal - WE 40/5X
Drystmar - DOK 40/4X
Drystelle - Sorc 40/7X
Drysthorn - BG 40/6X

Drystham - Shaman 40/4X
Drystig - SH 40/5X
Drystlak - BOrc 40/4X

Starx

Post#4 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Unfortunately hybrid AM is something you only do as a DPS specced AM when you are the only healer in your party, and you are just swapping around tactics so you aren't running around with a -40% perm healdebuff on you (really hate this design). And when you do this you wont heal or DPS well, just a sacrifice you are making for the good of the team in the moment, because even shitty dps spec healss are better than no heals.

Aluviya

Post#5 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Current situation: Gear is getting more and more focussed on the mainstats of every class so DPS is very high in the lategame. From the perspective of AM i can for sure say that hybridbuilds might be funny to play in SC's here and there but are not viable. The only viable option to large scale ORvR is to actually spec Heal(Healcrit!) and use Energy of Vaul (5 sec cooldown, Path of Vaul). Keep in mind this is a healerbuild that makes the use of only 1 "hybrid" skill to turn damage into healing. Its working well, as this skill is probably one of the very few skills you can make use of the currently for a healer not very well working class mechanic -but not great actually as you have no bonus for Int or disruptstrikethrough from any lategame healer setpieces and even if Energy of Vaul has 20% disruptstrikethrough you will still get disrupted big times - I cast it with 197 Intelligence stat. But in any case I wouldn't recommend playing any Energy of Vaul builds with pure dps stats like magic crit, intelligence etc. as you will greatly lack healing between the cooldowns of 5 sec (even with swordmasters who can reduce your EoV cooldown to 0 you still should remain in the healer class mechanic as EoV otherwise gets 2 Sec casttime and can only be used stationary)

anarchypark

Post#6 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:45 pm

beside of score board number,
real healers keep his target alive.
it requires some combo. as AM, it's usually shield+infusion+funnel with desperation tactic.
there are many others depend on situation. high heal crit is basic.

vaul dps heal don't have such combo. maybe i've not yet found.
main issue is it's too random.
leeching target from tank or pet, how many u hit etc.

like all hybrid, you're short to be main role
but good supporter if others fulfilled main job.
i recommend keep trying hybrid.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Mexlicious

Post#7 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Its basic AM Dps is strong if well played.Hybrid spec is fail. Heal spec needs a buff since for some weird reason the devs have decided in the past to nerf the **** out of the heals not sure why since thats one class that did not need a nerf on heals....took away the 35% heal tactic in the left tree and lets mention not being able to keep a player alive when getting focused.....If you want a solid healer go play a RP or Zealot as the devs have not toughed those yet.....

DirkDaring

Post#8 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 pm

on live the archmage rvr sets had a mix of intel and willpower as set bonus , as well as a crit set bonus , which applied to both heal crit and magic crit , however they changed all the sets here , so that now the sets from rvr are healing sets only for the most part , and only get heal crit and heal set bonus, and they placed the dps offspecs in scenarios .

they did this for all healers and tanks , i guess in an effort to force healers and tanks to do scenariors for their off spec gear , however you can do dungeons, to get gear from Bastion stairs, Crypts tunnels to get some off spec gear same as Beastlord now , that they changed the set bonus on them to be more offspec

Ads