Recent Topics

Ads

I struggle with SM

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
mathousalix6

I struggle with SM

Post#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 pm

Hey guys,
I reached 40lvl as a Swordmaster some days ago and I am really struggling . Although I am pretty content with the damage i deal i can barely survive some seconds in a fight. I almost instantly die and can't stand in the front line. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you

Ads
Pill

Re: I struggle with SM

Post#2 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:20 pm

What are you putting your renown points in? As a tank I would spec futile strikes until your chance to be crit is 0. Then depending on whether you are s&b or 2h, a mixture of block/party/Dodge/disrupt. Try to boost your defense main stats like wounds and toughness with tali's and tactics. If you're wearing green gear, aim to complete a set for set bonus stats.
Iron Rock: <Havok> Garvinhog - BO ll Febreze - Sorc
RoR: <DROW> Pillaging - BG ll Purpl - Sorc ll Fengar - SW ll Elfn - SM

mathousalix6

Post#3 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:43 am

Hey Pill thank you for your answer. I was putting renown points into toughness, parry and block and strength mostly. I have to invest some conquero's emblems into buying better gear with as well. It just needs a lot of time.
What are s&b and 2h? I don't know the abbreviations.

Aerogath
Suspended

Post#4 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Dude you are fresh 40, you are nearly naked and even a Marauder could kill you ;D

anarchypark

Post#5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:36 pm

mathousalix6 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:43 am Hey Pill thank you for your answer. I was putting renown points into toughness, parry and block and strength mostly. I have to invest some conquero's emblems into buying better gear with as well. It just needs a lot of time.

Shield & Blade or Sword & Board.
2 Handed weapon.
stat renown are least important.
futile strike, block, parry, disrupt/dodge. then stat renown.
distribute according to your playstyle.
2h dps tank is different story.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Aethilmar

Post#6 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 pm

I would suggest not going DPS until you have dominator armor at a minimum. Even then you will get killed a lot as a 2-hander and have limited utility.

In the meantime, you should consider running shieldmaster utility build. You can replace WW with Protection of Hoeth if you want until you hit RR50.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... mm=&mt=&t=

Charon

Post#7 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm

2h sm needs 40/70 rr to shine and good gear - mostly pve
sentinel for str/mix build
sentinel/bloodlord for crit build
or offensive sov (stats are meh... but those 2skill points:)

so till you get this gear and rr play s&b (basic 40/40 build)
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,2864,2874
Last edited by Charon on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karak Azgal - Haron WP
Karak Norn - Haeroon KoTBS
RoR:
- Chaeron - SM
- Nogrun - magnet eng
- Cheron - i want sorc Black Horror skill for my BW ;)

zgolec

Post#8 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 pm

mathousalix6 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:43 am Hey Pill thank you for your answer. I was putting renown points into toughness, parry and block and strength mostly. I have to invest some conquero's emblems into buying better gear with as well. It just needs a lot of time.
no matter the spec ignore toughness on renown. as 2h you invest parry / disrupt/ some futile and full crit. as snb futile block parry disrupt. ignore stats on renown points.

dont use block if 2h it only work with shield.

As of build - if you feel so squishie i would reccomend PD, VB, CA from vaul and PoE, CA from hoeth. |On later levels you have 2 options as SNB.
Run WB SM: RoR.builders - Sword Master
Where you loose a bit of tankiness in favor of utility for wb [you will get shitton of tankines from vanq/invader/sov set.

Or standard tank which got lil less to offer for wb [no RT] but is tanky af.:
RoR.builders - Sword Master
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Ads
wpc56
Suspended

Post#9 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:33 pm

You NEED at least 2 level of FS (-chance to be crit), three level if you can afford it.

Only then can you worry about other stat.

Don't go 2H until at least dominator (bare minimum). Slot rugged until you have better gear.

You will still be deleted by geared sorc so there's nothing you can do either... though you may want to change your blade enchantment base on who you are fighting against (in SC for example)

Wdova

Post#10 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:40 am

You are a tank so Yoru first and most important think You should worry about are Your defensive stats. As ppl mentioned in this thread, You should go for Sword and shield because as a 2h with basic starter gear You wont do no damage and You will be less useful for the group/wb.

Renown point distribution is futilite strike until your chance to be crit is 0%(You see it when You move cursor over initiative in character window. Than I would invest in parry(full) than block(max 2 points). Why parry? Because it stack way better than block which is renown hungry for less effect.

Now You sit atound rr 65 depends on your gear.

You can stack wounds/toughnes on Your gear(mixing sets + talismans) for warband use or offensive stats (strenght/wounds ) the same way for solo/ small scale.

Verry few ppl realises, that even SnB spec SM is thread they shouldnt underestimate. Sometimes I just kill healers who ignored me and did not throw detant or did not get help from others. You start rotation and bring target to 50% hp or so, than when You see your terget start to panic use knockdown, taunt and kill him during KD or few secs later.
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+