Recent Topics

Ads

I struggle with SM

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
mathousalix6

Re: I struggle with SM

Post#11 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Hey people! Thank you so much for your advice, you have been really helpful and made me understand some things better about the game that I didn't know. There are many things that you agree with each other so I am going to try them first. Cheers

Ads
Charon

Post#12 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Mate one thing more.... (maybe the one thing)
To really play properly you need firstly understand your real role as 2h or s&b - SM is dps assist tank. Even as a formally high dps char you are not independent, you must assist your melee dps to achieve anything. In this department SM is least independent tank from all of them present in the game (less cc than knight, less utilities than ib). Even it formal mirror BO is better in that ( nature of it dmg gives him chance to be a real threat to low armor, not guarded targets on his own)
So before you get your final build, gear, rr learn how to stick to your dps (which you are guarding), how to properly assist him and how to quickly switch assist and guard if necessary. It should be a basic staff for all thanks but for SM its even more important. Good addons like swift assist and teather are essential for you.
Last edited by Charon on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karak Azgal - Haron WP
Karak Norn - Haeroon KoTBS
RoR:
- Chaeron - SM
- Nogrun - magnet eng
- Cheron - i want sorc Black Horror skill for my BW ;)

mathousalix6

Post#13 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Charon wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm Mate one thing more.... (maybe the one thing)
To really play properly you need firstly understand your real role as 2h or s&b - the dps assist tank. Even as a formally high dps char you are not independent, you must assist your melee dps to achieve anything. In this department SM is least independent tank from all of them present in the game (less cc than knight, less utilities than ib). Even it formal mirror BO is better in that ( nature of it dmg gives him chance to be a real singular threat to low armor, not guarded targets)
So before you get your final build, gear, rr learn how to stick to your dps (which you are guarding), how to properly assist him and how to quickly switch assist and guard if necessary. It should be a basic staff for all thanks but for SM its even more important. Good addons like swift assist and teather are essential for you.
Thank you very much.What classes should assist? Should I stay in the front line with the melee dps or in the backline with healers and ranged dpss?

zgolec

Post#14 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:40 am

Guard melee dps and stick to him so he get benefits of your guard [somehow i doubt there are t1/t3 bombing BWs so this aint a thing].

If your healer is in trouble go to it, guard, punt enemy and back in frontline.

Learn to switch guard [its best to put it on some hotkey close to your movement like e/q or side button of mouse so you can easy and fast change], good tank doesnt just guard one person and follow iot as shadow. Like healer you have a party to keep alive. If you do this proper way ppl will invite you more often and purple rain will not have an end ;)
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Charon

Post#15 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

zgolec wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:40 am Guard melee dps and stick to him so he get benefits of your guard [somehow i doubt there are t1/t3 bombing BWs so this aint a thing].

If your healer is in trouble go to it, guard, punt enemy and back in frontline.

Learn to switch guard [its best to put it on some hotkey close to your movement like e/q or side button of mouse so you can easy and fast change], good tank doesnt just guard one person and follow iot as shadow. Like healer you have a party to keep alive. If you do this proper way ppl will invite you more often and purple rain will not have an end ;)
Generally this.....
Of course there are more in depth tactics and synergies mostly connected with organized 6-man play and base on proper use of whispering wind ability. if you want get some additional more in depth insight send me PM. I have left the game for now / maybe for good (RL is a bitch) so i may sell you some tricks:)
Karak Azgal - Haron WP
Karak Norn - Haeroon KoTBS
RoR:
- Chaeron - SM
- Nogrun - magnet eng
- Cheron - i want sorc Black Horror skill for my BW ;)

Aethilmar

Post#16 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm

mathousalix6 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:34 pm Thank you very much.What classes should assist? Should I stay in the front line with the melee dps or in the backline with healers and ranged dpss?
Unless you are massively overextending, your heals and rdps have the responsibility of staying close enough to you such that you can simply switch guard and move a little bit to cover them. I'm not saying they will. Many will actively kite away from you when chased by mdps. I usually just let them die and hope our mdps and do the same to the other team's squishies in return.

Thorakk

Post#17 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Wdova wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:40 am You are a tank so Yoru first and most important think You should worry about are Your defensive stats. As ppl mentioned in this thread, You should go for Sword and shield because as a 2h with basic starter gear You wont do no damage and You will be less useful for the group/wb.

Renown point distribution is futilite strike until your chance to be crit is 0%(You see it when You move cursor over initiative in character window. Than I would invest in parry(full) than block(max 2 points). Why parry? Because it stack way better than block which is renown hungry for less effect.

Now You sit atound rr 65 depends on your gear.

You can stack wounds/toughnes on Your gear(mixing sets + talismans) for warband use or offensive stats (strenght/wounds ) the same way for solo/ small scale.

Verry few ppl realises, that even SnB spec SM is thread they shouldnt underestimate. Sometimes I just kill healers who ignored me and did not throw detant or did not get help from others. You start rotation and bring target to 50% hp or so, than when You see your terget start to panic use knockdown, taunt and kill him during KD or few secs later.
Can you suggest a good offensive SnB build? I'm trying 2h now that I got the dominator set but I'm not sold on it. I miss the utility.

StrongUn

Post#18 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Grind pve lairs.

Gunbad < Crypts and Tunnels < Bastion stairs and get BloodLord set

Ads
waaaghlord

Post#19 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 am

About futile strikes and getting your chance to be crit. Get it below 0% if you can. Futile Strikes 3 or even 4 if you can manage that.