[AM] Heal guide

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Cormeister

Re: [AM] Heal guide

Post#11 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Thank you! Yeah, I don't have a lot of those abilities yet. I'm currently working my way up the left tree for Funnel Essence but right now, I've just got the healing abilities I mentioned. I'll work on pre-casting my HoTs more and using Boon until something better comes along. I also need to get better about AP draining. Lots to keep working on, but I love the class so far! Thanks again!

Ads
leafaele

Post#12 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 pm

This has actually been a great experience writing this. I've had lots of interesting talks and learned quite a bit myself, as is evidenced by the number of edits of the original post. So even if you were here early you might want to read or skim through it again.

Cimba

Post#13 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:08 am

Good guide for newer players that want to try out AM.

In terms of gear you might want to check out the C&T influence staffs. In particular The Sight due to its two procs:
  • Clarity: 10% chance on using an ability that the next ability will cost 0 AP
  • Quickening: 10% chance on being hit to reduce casttimes by 0.5 s for 10 s.
In my opinion this staff is slightly better than the scenario staff at least in city fights. Reasons are that you are forced to spam a lot of group heals and EoV so you dont get that much value out of +6 AP from the scenario staff. The Quickening proc is also a nice bonus. It stacks with the Vanquisher cast speed proc. So you can end up with 1.5 s group heals.

My 2 cents about tactics
  • Hurried Restore: I think its pure cancer and should be removed from the game. Nontheless it can be good if your party allows for it but if you have to heal 2 slayers than this tactic is just a wasted slot.
  • Run between worlds: Was doubtfull about this one at first but as of late I run it a lot in 6on6 and cities. Reduces the window where people can actually kill you down to 5 sec. Also the 5 seconds without setbacks can be pretty good. If you run The Sight and get a Quickening proc you can often times pump out 2-3 large heals. By then your puddle might by up again or at least EoV so you can start kiting again.
  • Isha's encouragement: Kind of useless in cities but quite helpfull for small scale. The stacking hots are nice and if you ever played a dps you will know how annoying it is to play against constant cleanses. WW makes it borderline broken.
  • Bolstering Boon: Used to play with this a lot. Main issue is that most parties dont use morales on cooldown so the faster morale gains are somewhat wasted.
  • Apotheosis: Quite good in open rvr if you need to kite a lot since it can remove the BG aoe snares. In large scale fights it doenst do too much. There are no aoe heal- or armordebuffs that would be worth cleansing.
My 2 cents about skills
  • Drain Magic: In my opinion the most powerful skill of the Archmage in small scale fights. If you ever played a DPS you know how much this skill **** with you. Unfortunately there is no statistic that shows how much damage wasnt dealt due to lack of AP.
  • Mistress of the Marsh: I would go a bit further than the opening post: Its the best snare in game because tanks cant break it (it reapplies more or less instantaneously).
  • Law of God: I was quite fond of this spell when I started out playing AM. Until I figured out that you can simply break the silence with Focused Mind or use other Morales to mitigate what ever your opponents try. Now you have 50 sec immunity so chances are quite good that you have morales up again when try something serious again.
  • Energy of Vaul: Takes a while to get used to this spell but then its pretty good. You dont need line of sight to your friendly target and its doenst need to be in heal range (you just need to be able to target it). Other than that you just need an offensive target, which is usually just one TAB away. With WW this spell turns the AM into the best cross group healer on order. You can also swap the friendly target during the cast time if someone needs heals more urgently.
Renown
I typically run full Futile Strikes, 10 points into Deft Defener, 10 points into Wounds, and remaining points into crit heal. The last stage of Deft Defender has pretty steep diminishing returns so I rather take Wounds instead. But thats personal preference I guess.

Anyway at the end of the day Archmage is the worst healer on order in terms of raw numbers so its only ever usefull to play with one when your party can uilitize what he brings to the table. Mainly the snare puddle, the morale pump and to lesser degrees instant rez and healdebuff.

leafaele

Post#14 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:57 pm

I updated this guide with a graph showing the effects of willpower and heal power on AM heals.

cimator

Post#15 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Cimba wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:08 am Good guide for newer players that want to try out AM.

In terms of gear you might want to check out the C&T influence staffs. In particular The Sight due to its two procs:
  • Clarity: 10% chance on using an ability that the next ability will cost 0 AP
  • Quickening: 10% chance on being hit to reduce casttimes by 0.5 s for 10 s.
In my opinion this staff is slightly better than the scenario staff at least in city fights. Reasons are that you are forced to spam a lot of group heals and EoV so you dont get that much value out of +6 AP from the scenario staff. The Quickening proc is also a nice bonus. It stacks with the Vanquisher cast speed proc. So you can end up with 1.5 s group heals.

Anyway at the end of the day Archmage is the worst healer on order in terms of raw numbers so its only ever usefull to play with one when your party can uilitize what he brings to the table. Mainly the snare puddle, the morale pump and to lesser degrees instant rez and healdebuff.

Been using The Sight aswell, perfect stats with 2 good procs. Its AM's bis staff I would say.
But sadly I gotta agree that AM is the worst healer currently, only way to consider it over other healers is with Whispering Wind, and its still a "maybe".
-Leakypants
-Leakyskull
-Leakybrains

-Leakyburn(Cimator)
-Midgety Claus
-Runawayop
-Rampageop

leafaele

Post#16 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:54 pm

cimator wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm But sadly I gotta agree that AM is the worst healer currently, only way to consider it over other healers is with Whispering Wind, and its still a "maybe".
AM's are certainly the ongoing joke when talking about healers on order side for sure. I kinda wish that they drop the Shaman/AM rework that they have talked about forever and keep postoning into infinity and just do a number/small fix instead. That way at least something would happen. But thats not really the point of this post. I want this to be a guide and talk about how to get the most out of heal am's.

Arbich
Suspended

Post#17 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:04 am

Cimba wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:08 am
[*] Law of God: I was quite fond of this spell when I started out playing AM. Until I figured out that you can simply break the silence with Focused Mind or use other Morales to mitigate what ever your opponents try. Now you have 50 sec immunity so chances are quite good that you have morales up again when try something serious again.
Forcing someone to use focused mind to get rid of it, is an ok tradeoff. At least this guy wouldn´t have an escape tool for the next 50 sec.
I would say the bigger issue is that it can be cleansed by another healer. Usually the group cleanse from Dok (so always try to silence the DoK when there a different heal classes on enemy team) So it has to be covered by another dot (law of age is best pick there I would say). That means using the silence as a healer against another healer,while in theory quite strong, is actually frustating :D
Reason why I would love to see some disrupt strikethough added to heal mechanic points. Maybe only for specific spells, if some ppl think it would also be a big buff for dps AM/shaman.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Cimba

Post#18 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:00 am

leafaele wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:54 pm AM's are certainly the ongoing joke when talking about healers on order side for sure. I kinda wish that they drop the Shaman/AM rework that they have talked about forever and keep postoning into infinity and just do a number/small fix instead. That way at least something would happen. But thats not really the point of this post. I want this to be a guide and talk about how to get the most out of heal am's.

The hilarious thing about this whole situation is: Azarael already fixed heal/life tap AM. They literally have the code for a proven fix for heal AMs.

Arbich wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:04 am Forcing someone to use focused mind to get rid of it, is an ok tradeoff. At least this guy wouldn´t have an escape tool for the next 50 sec.
I would say the bigger issue is that it can be cleansed by another healer. Usually the group cleanse from Dok (so always try to silence the DoK when there a different heal classes on enemy team) So it has to be covered by another dot (law of age is best pick there I would say). That means using the silence as a healer against another healer,while in theory quite strong, is actually frustating :D
Reason why I would love to see some disrupt strikethough added to heal mechanic points. Maybe only for specific spells, if some ppl think it would also be a big buff for dps AM/shaman.
Are you forced to use it though? I usually just sit through the silence. If it gets dicey I can react with morales. And you still have puddle as escape tool on top of being kd immune.

Cleansing is an interesting point I hadnt thought about. Happens probably more often in solo ranked. I doubt that DoKs in group ranked can afford to take grp cleanse.

I tried for a while to use the intelligence debuff on shamans in order to reduce their strike through rates for their AP drain. But that turned out not to be worthwhile due to to high disrupt rates of my own spells.

Ads
Crumbs

Post#19 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:33 am

Isha's encouragement is great for pve
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Bozzax

Post#20 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:08 am

A simple AOE hot (like other healers) and a small buff to clns absorb is all that AM / Shmy needs rly. The need of x2 tactics for wb clns is a tad hardcore tbh.

Mechanic is ok and fun to play and makes both classes quite mobile.
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7