Recent Topics

Ads

[SW] whats the point of SW?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Sinisterror

Re: [SW] whats the point of SW?

Post#11 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 am

5 feet for mara/chosen snare vs 65 feet for your's... + you have morale 1 KB Morale 2 aoe snare AND whirling pin aoe 10 second snare which also knocks youback from the enemy and on top of that swift strikes that gives you easily enough range to get away EVEN IF melee gets close to you. Also guerilla training tactic.. Tell me what other class has so good kiting tools ? SH none other come even close.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Ads
Phantasm

Post#12 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 pm

Kiting isnt only snaring target and run ahead turned side to be able cast spells. It require a lot more work and paractice. Imagine its like chess game, you play against mara.
Mara pre40 got only antysnare skill for 10s, charge for 10s and flee for 10s. You got snare 10s 65ish ft, range knockdown, flee, m1 punt, 30ft aoe self punt. you just need to play right card at the right time. Mara charge? Knockdown him, he pop anysnare and charge? Use flee and AP pot and when anysnare is gone, snare him, maintain distance until M1 ready. You got jumped? Use selfpunt and flee/AP pot. And dont touch tanks. They are just a bait.

Justina

Post#13 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Wraithedge wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:08 am Right now I am in T2 and I am getting mangled in instants trying to stay at range. I also get murdered in melee but surely one of those is supposed to eventually work. Right?
SW is one of the better classes in t2. All three trees working there. Choose between left tree for sniper, middle tree for hybrid melee or right tree for aoe damage.

What level are you? Don't expect to kill much until you are mid or late 20. The lvl 36-39 classes in there are basically overpowered to everybody else.

I'd recommend to go for skirmish (right tree) first, pick split arrow tactic and stack broadhead arrow in skirmish stance. Around lvl 30 you can try scout as well, then you have the points to go deep scout (left tree) and make fester arrow useful. Assault is for the more experienced and well equipped players.

Fenris78

Post#14 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Assault stance when jumped on by melee gives you very good buffs, including doubling your armor talismans.

The only thing you will struggle is the shitty 5s delay between stances, and the range skill nerfs (restricted to one stance most of the time, when it was 2 stances before).

So yes the SW has been nerfed pretty hard with latest rework, but you still can manage good tricks combining kiting tools and assault stance to hit hard.

Nonetheless you will still miss the shadow step (until level 40), wich is probably your best defensive tool ; combined to assault stance it's very powerful to melee, but you have to be quick and retreat as soon the bonus end.

SW is really a skirmshing class, who can hit hard and go away when needed. Yes he will lack some kiting/surviving tools (versus the SH mega toolkit for instance), and he is more restricted from ranged polyvalence (tied to stance), and globally papermade is not using assault, but if you get the grasp of attacking/retreating at the right time, you will get more fun.

Pretty hard class to play, nevertheless.

Thorondir

Post#15 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Satirico

Post#16 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm

lol at this post.
All I can tell you is "Learn to Play".

Wraithedge

Post#17 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 pm

Sinisterror wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 am 5 feet for mara/chosen snare vs 65 feet for your's...
That 5 feet is VERY loose, sometimes its much more than 5 feet. But I see what you are talking about. I may need to think about it a little differently than I have been.

Very good info, thanks for the direction those of you who contributed. I will need to work on kiting and skirmishing. I have some ideas now though.

Thanks again

zulnam

Post#18 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Not sure what you are expecting to achieve in T2. Spec AoE, stay with the blob and contribute with ranged dps. It's the best you can do now.

In time you'll learn, or reroll. RoR is a very dynamic game, were classes are altered frequently. A thread/video you see from 1 year ago might teach you something, but chances are it is already outdated. You learn most by doing.

SW is a very fun class for AoE. Your numbers won't be astronomical at first (or ever), but with time and gear you will appreciate what is, imo, the most mobile AoE rdps in the game. An AoE SW doesn't have to stay in place for a single second when doing damage.

Remember to use Vengeance of Nagawagawaga often. (i know it's not called that. i don't care)

P.S.: If you see Rolgrom doing a SW/AM warband, join it. You will learn a lot, and it's fun as hell. (been away for a while, does he still do those?)
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Ads
CountTalabecland

Post#19 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:01 pm

1) Spam BHA in forts
2) die to any Destro pull
3) Be inferior to Slayer.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

doky

Post#20 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Leveled SW few weeks ago, played lotsa SCs, was 1st place most of the time damage/kills in t2/t3 bracket and felt strong. BHA BHA BHA SFA SFA SFA profit :lol: