Recent Topics

Ads

Am I wrong to think like this?

Let's talk about... everything else
ghrin

Am I wrong to think like this?

Post#1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:33 pm

I love WAR. Specifically, I love the community that was before, and is now. But I have been roaming the internet trying to find a great MMO to play, when I find the time. Then I run upon RoR. Of course I was jubilant, and started playing immediately.

Here is what brings me to my point.

I've been hurt by WAR shutting down (12/18/13 RIP) for a long time. I mean, seriously, as childish or ignorant as it may seem, I genuinely was hurt that the dev's couldn't strike an agreement for the contract to keep the game running. So now I am scared to delve into this game and put time into it, because I really don't want it to go away again. I get it, that train of thought is stupid because "oh I want to play it, but I couldnt before and now that I can, I don't want to because im afraid it will leave again" but it seriously plagues me.

Can someone help put my weary little mind to rest?

WAAAGH!

Ads
Gobtar

Re: Am I wrong to think like this?

Post#2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Life is fleeting, enjoy it while you can, cherish the memories you have, but do not let it hinder making more memories. Would you rather enjoy the light of the sun with knowledge that each day it will fade and leave you in darkness? or would you rather live in permanent darkness knowing that never again will the light of day leave you.

Genisaurus
Former Staff

Post#3 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:43 pm

ghrin wrote:I love WAR. Specifically, I love the community that was before, and is now. But I have been roaming the internet trying to find a great MMO to play, when I find the time. Then I run upon RoR. Of course I was jubilant, and started playing immediately.

I've been hurt by WAR shutting down (12/18/13 RIP) for a long time. I mean, seriously, as childish or ignorant as it may seem, I genuinely was hurt that the dev's couldn't strike an agreement for the contract to keep the game running. So now I am scared to delve into this game and put time into it, because I really don't want it to go away again. I get it, that train of thought is stupid because "oh I want to play it, but I couldnt before and now that I can, I don't want to because im afraid it will leave again" but it seriously plagues me.

WAAAGH!
Ignoring the silliness of this question...

It wasn't shut down because the devs "couldn't strike an agreement for the contract to keep the game running," it was shut down because the cost to renew the IP license was more money than the game was going to bring in over that same period. You know, because the game had been hemorrhaging players from month 2 until it closed, for good reasons.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that if playing such a buggy, unbalanced, mismanaged mess caused you that much grief and pain when it went away, you should probably not play this game. Not only because we are committed to making it better in every way we can, but also because we live at the mercy of an army of uncaring lawyers. There is both a higher chance of this getting shut down without warning, and it would likely cause you even more grief when it does.

Tsumina

Post#4 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:09 pm

a lot of us were sad when the game shut down, I know a few who've cried. they were fun times and I still love the memories, but no use living in the past right? there was segregation and nazis :o

Sizer

Post#5 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Genisaurus is right though. As awesome as the devs are, there is absolutely no guarantee this game wont get shut down due to legal issues or some other unforeseen circumstance. Its unlikely, but still, if you cant deal with that, well, not to sound mean, but you might as well go play wow or gw2, theyre boring but at least theyre guaranteed to be around 10 years from now.
Aenea - SW / Aeneaa - AM
Sizer - Shaman / Artsupplies - Sorc

Boursk

Post#6 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Stopped playing sometime before it shutdown, I was a little sad to see it go too but game just felt like a mistreated cow with blindness, deafness and milked to the point of being a bonewrangle by EA =P

Was glad to see Warhammer back cuz there is just too many shitgames out there atm that aren't worth playing.
[3 years on Live = Volkmar > Ironrock > Gorfang > Badlands]

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HannesMW2

ghrin

Post#7 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Genisaurus wrote:
ghrin wrote:I love WAR. Specifically, I love the community that was before, and is now. But I have been roaming the internet trying to find a great MMO to play, when I find the time. Then I run upon RoR. Of course I was jubilant, and started playing immediately.

WAAAGH!
Ignoring the silliness of this question...

It wasn't shut down because the devs "couldn't strike an agreement for the contract to keep the game running," it was shut down because the cost to renew the IP license was more money than the game was going to bring in over that same period. You know, because the game had been hemorrhaging players from month 2 until it closed, for good reasons.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that if playing such a buggy, unbalanced, mismanaged mess caused you that much grief and pain when it went away, you should probably not play this game. Not only because we are committed to making it better in every way we can, but also because we live at the mercy of an army of uncaring lawyers. There is both a higher chance of this getting shut down without warning, and it would likely cause you even more grief when it does.
This is my problem. Don't get me wrong, I didn't curl up in the fetal position and beg Mommy or Daddy to make it all better, but I was sad that it went away. Despite it's issues I loved it, and met so many people there that it has a place in my heart. The post I read about why it was shutting down stated the contract couldnt be established after the 5th year, but what you said makes much more sense. Sorry to post a silly question, I just wanted to reach out to the community here and confirm what I already knew.

Gobtar

Post#8 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Boursk wrote:Stopped playing sometime before it shutdown, I was a little sad to see it go too but game just felt like a mistreated cow with blindness, deafness and milked to the point of being a bonewrangle by EA =P

Was glad to see Warhammer back cuz there is just too many shitgames out there atm that aren't worth playing.
That and you already beat PS2. :3

Ads
Boursk

Post#9 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Gobtar wrote:
Boursk wrote:Stopped playing sometime before it shutdown, I was a little sad to see it go too but game just felt like a mistreated cow with blindness, deafness and milked to the point of being a bonewrangle by EA =P

That and you already beat PS2. :3
D;
[3 years on Live = Volkmar > Ironrock > Gorfang > Badlands]

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HannesMW2

nexis72

Post#10 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Ghrin when you are in love with someone, do u deny a relationship because he/she might break up with u in the future?