Recent Topics

Ads

X-Realming is Good for the game.

Let's talk about... everything else
StormX2
Game Master

Re: X-Realming is Good for the game.

Post#111 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 pm

yah man i hear ya, completely understood. I was more or less bringing up he fact that i still don't see a way to actually accomplish that.

Ive been here with you guys for quite some time, and in t3 its obviously a huge problem (xrealming). Part of that problem is that people assume its all cross realming. You and I both know it happens, but the anger that people experience when they are not certain how or why the Order side suddenly depleted, and the destro side suddenly expanded ( regardless of what actually happened).

It really wouldnt bother me to have a realm lockout timer, it would suck for the 10% of the time that I want to swap over but it is what it is.

The new problem is the obvious one - how do you control who makes accounts??

Hundreds of other players will make a second account. Not even a question.. a certain % will choose not to because they dont wish to re level toons (makes sense) but the people who really care, they will make accounts and you will never be able to link them together.

Just like my test environment.. I can bet money that no one, short of my wife and brother, being able to link my Main Account (this one) with my test environment's account. Literally impossible.

Your objective now is to figure out a way to own and control the account creation process. without that, then any lock out timers will be a complete waste of time. The only option then becomes how to reward players for time spent on 1 realm. Im sure there are ways this will get exploited, but I guess we would rather have AFK'rs (since we do already anyway) vs people physically leaving to join the other side for easy rewards.

Length/Time based rewards will obviously cater to the hardcore crowd (those willing or able to put in the time) which I think will be fine.

BVy all means, I am certainly not saying to cater to someone like me, but that based on my experiences and usage - the options you have are slim to none.

Telen wrote:I think its pretty low that some people would put them having to put up with a bit of inconvenience in having to wait a few hours to swap sides once in a while as more important than the server having some sort of realm community. Smacks of the modern me me me gamer.

These guilds that completely ignore the spirit of the game and flit between factions with no allegiance to any realm or anyone outside their cliq are a cancer on realm vs realm.
As long as this game is an Alpha / Beta stage, and I have the option to roll both sides with no penalty. Then I will use this to MY advantage and play when/where I want to.

I am sorry that you somehow see ME (or people like me) as the reason why there is no realm pride, but that would be a mistake. Ive been playing for 2 years on RoR, I have friends on Both sides, New and Old Live players.

Now to mention what you said "inconvenience in having to wait a few hours to swap sides" I personally wouldn't care if this was brought in. But my warning is that it will not stop anything.. a slight deterrent if any.. stopping only a small % of players from creating a second account simply to get around that lockout timer.

Ads
Genisaurus
Former Staff

Post#112 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:22 pm

StormX2 wrote:yah man i hear ya, completely understood. I was more or less bringing up he fact that i still don't see a way to actually accomplish that.

Ive been here with you guys for quite some time, and in t3 its obviously a huge problem (xrealming). Part of that problem is that people assume its all cross realming. You and I both know it happens, but the anger that people experience when they are not certain how or why the Order side suddenly depleted, and the destro side suddenly expanded ( regardless of what actually happened).

It really wouldnt bother me to have a realm lockout timer, it would suck for the 10% of the time that I want to swap over but it is what it is.

The new problem is the obvious one - how do you control who makes accounts??

Hundreds of other players will make a second account. Not even a question.. a certain % will choose not to because they dont wish to re level toons (makes sense) but the people who really care, they will make accounts and you will never be able to link them together.

Just like my test environment.. I can bet money that no one, short of my wife and brother, being able to link my Main Account (this one) with my test environment's account. Literally impossible.

Your objective now is to figure out a way to own and control the account creation process. without that, then any lock out timers will be a complete waste of time. The only option then becomes how to reward players for time spent on 1 realm. Im sure there are ways this will get exploited, but I guess we would rather have AFK'rs (since we do already anyway) vs people physically leaving to join the other side for easy rewards.

Length/Time based rewards will obviously cater to the hardcore crowd (those willing or able to put in the time) which I think will be fine.

BVy all means, I am certainly not saying to cater to someone like me, but that based on my experiences and usage - the options you have are slim to none.
As I said, we know a complete lockout would be impossible. The goal is to make circumventing the lockout to be as much of a pain as we can. If you have to jump through a ton of hoops to exploit the system and our intent, then hopefully that's enough to stop it from becoming widespread.

Telen
Suspended

Post#113 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 pm

StormX2 wrote:
As long as this game is an Alpha / Beta stage, and I have the option to roll both sides with no penalty. Then I will use this to MY advantage and play when/where I want to.

I am sorry that you somehow see ME (or people like me) as the reason why there is no realm pride, but that would be a mistake. Ive been playing for 2 years on RoR, I have friends on Both sides, New and Old Live players.

Now to mention what you said "inconvenience in having to wait a few hours to swap sides" I personally wouldn't care if this was brought in. But my warning is that it will not stop anything.. a slight deterrent if any.. stopping only a small % of players from creating a second account simply to get around that lockout timer.
There are an endless number of games you can do that in. Where there arent realms. Mythic even tried to make one to satisfy those that wanted that kind of game with Wrath of Heroes. It bombed as most War players dont want that. They want RVR and it was only a vocal minority asking for it. They want to belong to a realm and not feel like even those on their own team are really the enemy that are likely to jump over with their cliq to the other side at any moment.
Last edited by Telen on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormX2
Game Master

Post#114 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:16 pm

so ive been thinking on this subject. But all the even remotely possible ideas I come up with, are instantly circumvented by the creation of a new account.

Currently, someone can make an account and access the game right away. The only deterrent I can think of here is similar tot he password reset function (which only lets a user in after the server was reset correct?) allowing new accounts to gain access once or twice a week (generalized) but this is merely an inconvenience that hurts the new users more than the xrealmners.

A check at the launcher would only be helpful if accessing different account from same PC/IP Addy. But as Ive already demonstrated, there will be a good number of people to circumvent this as well. Remember, ont he Live server (before you could switch) people legit payed for second account JUST TO XREALM INFORMATION. Please note that some of those people, are actually here playing this game today. doing the same thing for free lol. (I think some of us know who I am talking about lol)

let me just make this statement clear, I support playing on both sides.. I do not support Changing sides to force an easy win or to avoid losing.

Sigimund

Post#115 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Genisaurus wrote:As I said, we know a complete lockout would be impossible. The goal is to make circumventing the lockout to be as much of a pain as we can. If you have to jump through a ton of hoops to exploit the system and our intent, then hopefully that's enough to stop it from becoming widespread.
Would jumping through those hoops be seen as an infraction?

Sera

Post#116 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:26 pm

I always play on the underdog side along with my guild, simply becasue we enjoy fighting against the zerg - also It's a very fast way of levelling RR(not right now, but later when rr80 will be available)
I know at least 2 other guild that does the same - they always try to fight on the side that's being zerged and pushed back.
The realm pride stuff doesn't make sense sorry - this is a game, the point is to have fun, not to chase imaginary things in a virtual world :)

Don't punish us by locking us to a zergy realm.
Azarael wrote:I was looking for the one point that would blow your argument to bits, and I'm not surprised to see that it wasn't mentioned.

- Warhammer Online had many servers.
- Return of Reckoning only has one.

What happens in a multi-server configuration? People seek the strong servers to play their favourite characters.

What happens in a single server configuration? There's only one place to play, so this strategy doesn't pay off.

Crossrealming is AWFUL for the game, and that's our position on it. The negative effects of lack of realm association/pride and being able to change faction to the stronger one (both of which are forcing us to use a lacklustre RvR design that we don't want to) far outweigh any benefit gained by a small minority of players chasing AAO.

If you want to know the real flaw in this game? It's a two-realm game. Three-realm games are self-balancing because the weaker realms ally. Two-realm games are inherently unstable.
Sera

rybiz

Post#117 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 am

Genisaurus wrote:
It seems like you are making an assumption that our RvR campaign redesigns will leave the losing realm with only those two options: Do the city, or log off. This is a major problem to address with our redesign, and it will be addressed, though it remains to be seen whether or not we address it well. But assuming that we will be implementing things the same way WAR did though, does not a solid counterargument make.

In other words, if it's a more attractive option to log off than to defend your city during a siege, that is a problem of design not a faction lock. When you look at it from the opposite perspective, its just as obnoxious: "Order pushed to the IC, so Destro wants to be able to switch to their Order characters and get free gear in an empty PvE city."
Maybe i misunderstood, but from your previous post i was thinking that you want to add realm lock to prevent city campaign of pushing side being ruined. So order is pushing city, some order players dont want to go city and want to log their destro toons to prevent this. In this situation is possibly order campaign ruined. If there was realm lock those players would probably log off and again order campaign is again ruined. Also if order went to city i dont remember there was reason to swap winning side to get rr or gear, you could get leeching or fighting instances on both sides. I usually sticked with toon i wanted to lvl and friends.
But yea if you want to add lock, its yor decision. You also said its onlyyour suggestions. I just dont like if players are forced to do this or this and I get scared when i see strongg statement like: there will be realm lock, without seeing same strong statement: this xy will assure realms balance. Because i dont know what kind of research did you do to find how many players keep switching many times per evening to be on winning side, but with lock those kind of players will just all move to bigger side and actually playing their dream, just without need to relog. If the reason of lock was to prevent those players from going stronger side, now they will be jhst all time on stronger side, ruining campaign for weaker side.

Grimmrog

Post#118 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:54 am

rybiz wrote:
Genisaurus wrote:
It seems like you are making an assumption that our RvR campaign redesigns will leave the losing realm with only those two options: Do the city, or log off. This is a major problem to address with our redesign, and it will be addressed, though it remains to be seen whether or not we address it well. But assuming that we will be implementing things the same way WAR did though, does not a solid counterargument make.

In other words, if it's a more attractive option to log off than to defend your city during a siege, that is a problem of design not a faction lock. When you look at it from the opposite perspective, its just as obnoxious: "Order pushed to the IC, so Destro wants to be able to switch to their Order characters and get free gear in an empty PvE city."
Maybe i misunderstood, but from your previous post i was thinking that you want to add realm lock to prevent city campaign of pushing side being ruined. So order is pushing city, some order players dont want to go city and want to log their destro toons to prevent this. In this situation is possibly order campaign ruined. If there was realm lock those players would probably log off and again order campaign is again ruined. Also if order went to city i dont remember there was reason to swap winning side to get rr or gear, you could get leeching or fighting instances on both sides. I usually sticked with toon i wanted to lvl and friends.
But yea if you want to add lock, its yor decision. You also said its onlyyour suggestions. I just dont like if players are forced to do this or this and I get scared when i see strongg statement like: there will be realm lock, without seeing same strong statement: this xy will assure realms balance. Because i dont know what kind of research did you do to find how many players keep switching many times per evening to be on winning side, but with lock those kind of players will just all move to bigger side and actually playing their dream, just without need to relog. If the reason of lock was to prevent those players from going stronger side, now they will be jhst all time on stronger side, ruining campaign for weaker side.
The issue is you can make smurf accounts, this can be abused, WAR didn't had that problem without someone having to spent 2 subs. to do so.

Ads
rybiz

Post#119 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 am

Grimmrog wrote:
The issue is you can make smurf accounts, this can be abused, WAR didn't had that problem without someone having to spent 2 subs. to do so.
Sorry but i dont know what do you mean now.

Telen
Suspended

Post#120 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:34 am

If x-realming was meant to be a thing and guilds were supposed to move between factions the game would have been designed that way. You wouldnt have had single realm servers on live, you would have had leaderboard and tournaments for 6v6 like other mmos that are designed for it do. You would have had some sort of mercenary or betrayal system so you didnt need 2 accounts. They didnt even put duelling in as the game was designed around rvr.

Even the loading screens still tell you this. 'A friend is someone who has the same enemy's as you.' The game was all about the realm mechanic and the communities it creates. Right now without it its just another meaningless arena game. Theres loads of them with proper rankings and ladders. War was pretty unique.

Guilds werent about who can exploit the meta with the best 6 man setup. They were ranked on what they did for the realm war. Claiming keeps and the larger and more active the guild the higher their rank and the better tactics they got access to. It didnt reward xrealming 6 mans because that wasnt the aim of the game. Anyone with half a brain looking at this game can see the design and what it encouraged.