Recent Topics

Ads

PUG Scenario Rage

Let's talk about... everything else
Karast

Re: PUG Scenario Rage

Post#11 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm

People could also try to take a different approach and if you see someone doing very badly, and you know the class and spec's well enough try to help them improve their game.

People just yelling, "you suck, and ltp, and ffs attack x" does absolutely nothing to help them improve, if you are friendly about it people will often actually listen, and are quite happy with improved results. Sometimes what seems like very simple things to veterans, like using detaunt, having a good dps rotation that uses abilities you spec mastery in, and which stats to stack can be completely unknown to a returning, or new player.

When I talk to a lot of newer players, it is surprising how many don't realize that spec'ing mastery points increases base ability values. That's not a very common feature in MMO's these days, and detaunt is also a unique skill to warhammer that takes some adjusting to.

Ads
mursie

Post#12 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:57 pm

I am quite jealous of the EU primetime. ran some six man groups this weekend during early morning/afternoon and had caledor woods popping repeatedly. Never see that during NA evenings unless our own alliance internally coordinates a 6v6 due to having 12 people on out of nowhere.

These matches are quite fun.

I think it would be really fun to have the same 6v6 scenario work for solo que only players as well. I know some have said that caledor woods does this...but I've never seen it pop as a solo que. 12 solo que'd players coming randomly together to play a caledor woods 6v6 could be a lot of fun.

Are the devs sure that solo que CW actually exists and works?

th3gatekeeper

Post#13 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Im very convinced that one of the BIGGEST issues with PUGs are tanks who dont guard.

I have 3 tanks, and I make it my #1 duty to guard someone. While playing some alts. this case my Mara, I have asked for guard or had teammates asked for guard SOO many times. I have full duelist and have ONLY SCd on my Mara to the point of being RR34 from just SCs, and 5/5 duelist + an extra ~200 medallions - which means some considerable SC games.

I have had guard less than 5 times from PUGs. Mostly duo or trio que with a healer.

I know when I FIRST made my first tank, I had zero clue how short guard range was. So I would throw guard up on someone and not worry about it. So not only is guard not as "telling" for PUG tanks who dont play with addons or UI upgrades (like Enemy) but ALSO most tanks I talk to, DRASTICALLY under estimate how much impact guard has.

Once recent example is me yelling in an SC because we had 6 tanks and not ONE was guarding. The chosen in my group would not guard because he said he would die 2x as fast.... I said to him its clear he has never played a healer because its SO much easier to heal 2 people each taking 50% damage, than it is to heal 1 person taking 100% damage. He didnt get it.

If you want to fix PUGs, it STARTS with guard. Then I think the SECOND issue is making /assist less clunky and easier to see. So that you could set an ally as an /assist and then anything they target gets a big red arrow or X over their head or something. That would be IDEAL.

Same with guard, it would be IDEAL if there were a shield that appeared or something over the head of the target you were IN RANGE of guarding.

If you make guard + /assist more "in your face" its harder to not do them right which means better fights for all.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Stinkyweed

Post#14 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Bless me Father for I have sinned;
I have PUG'ed almost every night.
I enjoy trying to kill tanks with physical rdps.
I get tunnel visions at times and am unable to stop hitting guarded targets.
I have said negative things towards DPS DoKs from time to time...I blame Naoise for my attitude though.
I take joy in trying to kill my guildies when they are logged into the other side.
I am a bad-bad git...who deserves ample spanking.
Stinkyweed SH.86
Prowl WE.85
Blob Chop.82
Babaganoush Sham.7x
Negative Creep Z.5x
Motley Crue WH.5x
Scratch WL.3x

Don't fall asleep...don't fall asleep...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7uxesyQWo

freshour
Banned

Post#15 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 pm

I think people having an easier "more in your face" guard/assist would be cheating. Then pres wouldn't be able to say L2P as much :P

zabis

Post#16 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:Then I think the SECOND issue is making /assist less clunky and easier to see. So that you could set an ally as an /assist and then anything they target gets a big red arrow or X over their head or something. That would be IDEAL.
Have you tried the mod SwiftAssist?
Soulcheg wrote:Want mirrored classes - play chess.
Genisaurus wrote:You are not entitled to Best-in-Slot gear just because you log on.

roadkillrobin

Post#17 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Karast wrote:People could also try to take a different approach and if you see someone doing very badly, and you know the class and spec's well enough try to help them improve their game.

People just yelling, "you suck, and ltp, and ffs attack x" does absolutely nothing to help them improve, if you are friendly about it people will often actually listen, and are quite happy with improved results. Sometimes what seems like very simple things to veterans, like using detaunt, having a good dps rotation that uses abilities you spec mastery in, and which stats to stack can be completely unknown to a returning, or new player.

When I talk to a lot of newer players, it is surprising how many don't realize that spec'ing mastery points increases base ability values. That's not a very common feature in MMO's these days, and detaunt is also a unique skill to warhammer that takes some adjusting to.
Yeah if you apreach people about their playing they become very defensive and tell you to f-off 9 times out of 10. People take critizism as personal attacks more then anything so no point. If people wanna learn how to effectivly play it's better if they seek out the help coz it clearly doesn't work when you try to aproach em.

th3gatekeeper

Post#18 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:09 pm

zabis wrote:
th3gatekeeper wrote:Then I think the SECOND issue is making /assist less clunky and easier to see. So that you could set an ally as an /assist and then anything they target gets a big red arrow or X over their head or something. That would be IDEAL.
Have you tried the mod SwiftAssist?
Personally I use a macro. Since I play a tank 90% of the time I play this game, I select a target, guard him, make my /assist macro then sit on his ass like white on rice. Im one of those guys who you WANT in your party, not the crap tanks who think they are leet deeps brah and slot focused offense.

What I was writing about is the general population. The "PUGs" as everyone calls everyone else (let that sink in a bit). Basically the BAD players or people we think are bad. Chances are, if they are not good, they probably dont have a ton of add ons.

Why I wrote my post, is that it seems to me, arguably the TWO most important aspects to learning to play this game is guard and /assisting. NEITHER of which are very well supported by the game itself.

As a tank myself, if I want to know if someone is in range of my guard, I need to install an add on that not only marks them, tells me how far away they are and if guard is on them. If I want to /assist. I need to spam a macro button over and over on mouse 5, to make sure I am hitting the same target. Both of these things require me to go out of my way to set this stuff up, and quite frankly, be a pretty selfless player because I know the benefit to my team.

But NEITHER of those functions are supported in game. There is no "animation" to tell if you are guarded, guarding, or attacking a guarded target. There is no button to press to swap to an allies target, or to easily identify who an ally is attacking...

If we want more competitive games, and we want it to be more fun, the BEST first step, instead of messing with matchmaking crap, is to allow for in game support for both guarding and assisting. That DONT require new addons or spamming a self made macro button every second to make sure you FF targets.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
Dabbart

Post#19 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 am

PUGing I only ever feel like tearing out my hair when I am on MDPS, specifically my WH. Which is why I tend to try and save him for premades and dueling/solo.

MDPS as a PUG is exceptionally difficult. Especially if you go for the "meta" build and/or glass cannon. People want to see huge crits, but forget they have 0 defense.

As tank/healer the only times I dislike PUGing is when we are FAB(F'ed At Beginning) with no healers or similar. Otherwise, I tend to enjoy it. You win some, you lose a bunch. But you can get good fights if you try.

If you are going to PUG, enter the SC assuming that aint no one is gonna help you. That everyone is simply going to attack and smash what is in front of them. You might get a Gheal or the odd HoT. Fight based on that, until otherwise is proven. Don't charge the entire enemy team by yourself, unless you are expecting to die to accomplish a task. Understand that a whole wide range of people from all over the world play this game. Just like IRL. Alot of them will be selfish ass-hats.

And even those whom aren't, can be in the moment. I was kinda dickish towards Torque the other day when he wanted a gaurd, cause I was in a premade.(Ofc, my guild made me look even worse by not joining the party so it appeared to be a 3man :( ) Or I might snap at someone over something cause I'm not in the mood for shenanigan's, or Trolls. No one is awesome 100% of the time. But I digress.

TLDR: Trolls are gonna troll, and people are going to rage. 9/10 the rage has almost 0 to do with the game or what actually happened. It is simply the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Rclick their name and hit Ignore.
Problem Solved.
Or, "What Problem?" As Cotillion would say...
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Pixie126

Post#20 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 am

I main a sowrdmaster. I guard. I tend to let the person know if they want the guard to function, I have to see them. I run 0 add-ons. Many times tanks are scarce, so to do my job I have to guard and tank something that wants to chew my ass to pieces. I do not have the time or the inclination to track down my guardee. You want guard? Ask. It's that simple. Ask nicely and most likely no one will get upset.
Order only. Just High Elves.
Xramoth-Swordmaster (in live was Ramoth)
Caranath-White Lion (in live was Niniel)
Maldavie-Archmage (Same name in live)