Recent Topics

Ads

Guarding squishies as a BG

Let's talk about... everything else
Telperien

Re: Guarding squishies as a BG

Post#11 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Take a little breath and practice guard applying to others when there is no presure, get use to that "trick", have a habbit to apply guard in a millisec. Maybe u havent noticed yet, when ur guard ability is not glowing, its passive. To guard u need have guard ability "glowing". Now, to change guard, 1st u remove guard from one target, then u apply to another. You cant do it with one click/press skill. U need do it twice. 1st click removes, 2nd click applies. Got it? Little tip here, guard skill doesnt use global cooldown, so u can do that 2 clicks almost same time. Now, if u want u can try to "hear" applying guard, but imo much better is visual mark on guarded person. For that u need addon Enemy and use "guard mark" in its settings. When u guard someone, that person will got blue arrow above their head. Becareful, sometimes that becomes buggy, just reapply guard again.
What I do is I have 2 separate guard skills on bar and mouse macro for pressing that skills in .500s interval, so I can swap guard "on the fly". It helps a lot.
And dont get depresed when ur guardee dies, it happens all the time, forget and keep going with others.
I hope I helped a little :)
Slacking (checking out EvE)

Ads
boog

Post#12 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm

I don't mean to presume to know better than you or anyone I am trying to offer suggestions. I do apologize if I offended you though. For some reason when I respond to people on the internet, or even talking in general, what I say comes off as condescending or insulting. I truly don't mean for it and I'm working on it. I am truly sorry if my responses agitated you as it was not my intention :(.

Your initial post was regarding why guarded targets when at 10% health die faster even when guarded, I attempted to offer plausible explanations as to why that may be, such as finishers and CC being the cause. I then hoped to offer solutions to the problem such as arriving at the target before 10% health was reached, as being at 10% is practically dead already, and also CC your guarded targets attackers.

I then offered solutions such as making sure that guard was actually applied as sometimes it can be tricky to make sure it was applied in the heat of the moment and recommended an AddOn that helps resolve that issue.

You specifying you are in tier 2, opposed to tier 3, supports why you don't have the punt at least. But going off what you had told me I could only gather so much information.

Once again I do not mean to project any sense of superiority or presume I am better than you. I am just trying to offer help. If it has come off as unfriendly I most certainly do not mean it to.

I will stop replying in hopes other people will be able to offer the answers you prefer in a more agreeable manner.

Good luck and see you on the battlefield :)
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

Telperien

Post#13 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 pm

I found nice video showing exactly how guard and tank skills should be used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsayWJGF6SQ

At the 1st guard swap (1.30s) u can see applying challenge, than snare, later BG uses morale 4 every tank should have (Immaculate Defense), at 2nd guard swap (1.51s) tank uses knock down on WL and knock back... and at 3rd guard swap (2.00s) he uses root on 2 WLs and WH - failed one, but anyway:)

I hope Camoran wont mind sharing his video:)

Toldavf

Post#14 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:19 pm

lol at those wp learn to cleanse!
Khorlar, Thorvold, Sjohgar, Anareth, Toldavf, Hartwin, Gotrin and others -_-

Reesh

Post#15 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Maybe, just maybe.. You're trying to guard those players that are outside of your party?

Stilton

Post#16 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Let me start off by saying, sorry if any of this is comes off as abrasive, it's not my intent.
I asked 2 specific questions, again sorry if people assumed i was asking for a guide on how-to-tank, i was not.

It's just when people don't even respond to the original questions its almost like you're 'talking' at me, rather than to me - if i ask for advice though, i'm more than willing to take it.

With that 'misunderstanding' out the way -- Perhaps its me then, since nobody else has noticed anything yet, can't possibly be i've discovered something new? right?

But it seems that's not the case since, unless im stupid (very possible) the blackguard crit tactic being available / working before it -should- be (as its listed and described on the tactic itself) is not on the bugtracker also ? :)

anyway we'll see, my buddy will be on voice when i level my borc to 10 helping him, so i should be able to test it more thoroughly in future -- should help get a better feel on how much lag there is, etc, etc when hes also able to help confirming things like timing.

I guess in the unlikely event i feel i have found some bug, i guess i'll have to post back with video evidence :)

reactor24

Post#17 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 am

sounds like you weren't even successfully putting guard on them if you took no damage. did you see the guard buff icon on them?
Agostinah : Shadow Warrior | Dozo : Witch Hunter

"Show you the difference 'tween my gun and my pistol"

kok

Post#18 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 am

Telperien wrote:I found nice video showing exactly how guard and tank skills should be used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsayWJGF6SQ

At the 1st guard swap (1.30s) u can see applying challenge, than snare, later BG uses morale 4 every tank should have (Immaculate Defense), at 2nd guard swap (1.51s) tank uses knock down on WL and knock back... and at 3rd guard swap (2.00s) he uses root on 2 WLs and WH - failed one, but anyway:)

I hope Camoran wont mind sharing his video:)
The video show that Guard need GCD to work. You can't apply Guard if GCD is in action. You can't changed guard when you are disabled. Remove Guard don't use up GCD but reapply do.
reactor24 wrote:sounds like you weren't even successfully putting guard on them if you took no damage. did you see the guard buff icon on them?
In the video the guard dmg don't come right after you apply guard. It takes approx one GCD after that.
So it is common to see someone you apply guard at dies.

Side note : in 2.49min~3.00min, you can see he still get guard dmg(not every dmg) while just outside the guard range.
It show that guard works just like other melee abilities. It has rubbery range.
Northside-KOTBS ,Southside-SW Westsides-WP Eastside-WH,Rightside-WL
Good Soldier win fight, Good Calvary win field, Good Cannon win Battle, Good logistic win Wars
--Book of Five Rings

Ads
Telperien

Post#19 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 am

I just tested guard skill and it indeed doesnt take GCD to take off, but when applying guard u still can use other skill, i tested it with macro: remove G->.100s->apply G->.100s->challange. All together takes max .300s and guard was on target and challange fired. Agree with 1 point, guard effect is visible at the end of GCD so it may take that 1 GCD to take dmg as guard effect.

Kirk

Post#20 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:40 pm

reactor24 wrote:sounds like you weren't even successfully putting guard on them if you took no damage. did you see the guard buff icon on them?
I am thinking he's trying to guard non group members tbh.
Would be a reasonable mistake if you're new to the game.
If not, well then just need to read the battle better.
This takes time.