Recent Topics

Ads

A question for the devs. Not downtime related.

Let's talk about... everything else
Stormslap

A question for the devs. Not downtime related.

Post#1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I have a question and I'm not sure if here is where it belongs but whatever, anyhow, my question is about mounts. Is it possible to make racial mounts available to other races? For instance could my chosen ride a cold one, or is the game setup in such a way that it wouldn't work right? And if so would it be possible in the future as a cosmetic improvement to make them available? Perhaps as a high RR reward or something of the same vein.
GET CUCKED GET CUCKED GET CUCKED GET CUCKED

Ads
Jaycub

Re: A question for the devs. Not downtime related.

Post#2 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:11 pm

It was like this up to T2 but was removed due to it conflicting heavily with the lore/artstyle.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Londo

Post#3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 pm

All mounts (and some npcs) can be mounted by all races. However, there is a consensus to stick to the lore.

StormX2
Game Master

Post#4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:56 pm

I really liked when they did that event where we were riding squigs lol

Blodia

Post#5 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:55 pm

It'd be really nice if Dwarves could get Empire horses.
Their sillycopter is just so...

RyanMakara

Post#6 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Blodia wrote:It'd be really nice if Dwarves could get Empire horses.
Their sillycopter is just so...
Horses?! I'd rather have my ass nailed to a shield and be pushed forth by Snotlings than ride on a chuffin' horse!

Koha

Post#7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:13 pm

They first wanted to give dwarves a steam tank as mount
I wonder if it's still hiden somewhere in the database...

a War boar would still be a better choice imho

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 7&biw=1920

Haters gonna hate :
Another option would be to give the RR improved flee to dwarves and take out their mounts. Can't remember exactly but dwarves had a bonus to forced walk on the battlefield or something like that ?
MA Kirth BG Melnibone SH Kikass
WH Merci SM Kohagen SL Koagul

Noergl

Post#8 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm

RyanMakara wrote:Horses?! I'd rather have my ass nailed to a shield and be pushed forth by Snotlings than ride on a chuffin' horse!
Now here is something i really would like to see! Gumthorr, go for it! Yeehaaaw.
Lorekeeper Noergl Morgrimsfind & Sgt.Maj.Finvjer Hugnirsson
(Co-leader of 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers)

Ads
Begamil

Post#9 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:27 pm

May the devs never do such thing. Hate games that makes everyone look the same, where you can't feel special at all. Thats what makes warhammer so great, everyone is special in its own way

RyanMakara

Post#10 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Koha wrote:They first wanted to give dwarves a steam tank as mount
I wonder if it's still hiden somewhere in the database...

a War boar would still be a better choice imho

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 7&biw=1920

Haters gonna hate :
Another option would be to give the RR improved flee to dwarves and take out their mounts. Can't remember exactly but Dwarfs had a bonus to forced walk on the battlefield or something like that ?
Dwarfs actually have lousy movement in the tabletop rules. As they are a defensive army, they rely on having the enemy come towards them. As stubborn as they are, they resent the use of anything that is not Dwarf-made; horses, pigs and boars, while suitable as mounts for most other races, are not trusted by Dwarf-kind. There are a few exceptions to this, as there are lore editions in which certain Dwarfs rode on pigs, goats and boars, and in Warhammer Online itself they -can- ride on pack mules. Generally, the reason they have the Gyro mounts in this game is because 1. it is Dwarf technology and thereby reliable and lore-friendly and 2. it is a unique mount designed by a software company that had much love and inventive ideas for each race. Orcs already have boars, and pigs and goats were apparently too boring to Mythic's tastes.

Not having a mount but instead having a movement bonus akin to a marching stance would be awesome to see on the battlefield in formations, but it'd make individual Dwarf players look as if they are speedhacking. We've had a bug in the past by which anyone could ride a Magus disk mount; which in fact made all classes but the Zealot and Magus appear without a mount, while still benefiting from the speed bonus; this bug was eventually fixed due to the amount of bug reports we've gotten about apparent speedhacking, and since somebody who has a movement bonus speed per mount needs to appear as if they actually are ON a mount for the sake of preventing needless reports like this.

A few other suggestions akin to a marching stance for Dwarfs would be the use of a banner (much how guild banners used to work on live) or a backpack to signify that they are on the move; practically hauling all their much-needed technology with them to the frontlines. As much fun as it'd be to introduce such a feature and similar unique mounts to other races as well, it'd actually require modding that goes beyond our current capacity, and we'd probably reserve such a content update for much, much later, when we have the basic fundament ready to give a unique mount to all races.

Also, Steam tanks for Dwarfs was a joke. There's a famous quote in the Warhammer universe; "I wish I had a Steam tank...", mostly said by Empire generals as it is one of the most heavy-duty war machines the Empire has to offer. Even Dwarfs wouldn't mind taking one of those Manling cannon-forts for a spin; but it'd be considered lore-unfriendly for the Dawi to actually rely on Manling technology.
Last edited by RyanMakara on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.