Whats with pvp games?

Let's talk about... everything else
Druin
Former Staff

Re: Whats with pvp games?

Post#21 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:42 pm

porkstar wrote:
Eathisword wrote:Sadly most likely a L2P issue. And i mean that with no condescension. So many questions remain :
1- Are you using keybinds (i.e. not clicking) ?
2- Do you know all your keybind ?
3- Do you know every skill in the game ?
4- Do you know the standard rotation of every enemy class ?
5- Do you know how to counter them ?
6- Do you make the most use of ALL your abilities ?
7- Do you spec in a way that is comfortable for you ? or just a random cookie cutter.
8- Do you use a good choice of gear, talisman, potions to optimize your stat distribution to enhance the strengths and somewhat hide the weaknesses of your particular play-style ?
9- Have you played your class as much as the people exploding you ?

If you answer no to one of those questions, then there's your problem. If you seriously can answer yes to all of the above, then go post some suggestions in the balance forums.

Gotta realize PvP games are 75% about knowledge, 25% about decision making skills and 100% about gear. Peace.
I answered no to every single one of those questions but I give 300% effort. How big is my problem?
The results you achive should be enough of an answer. :)
Pretty much always afk or tabbed out.

Ads
Eathisword

Post#22 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

porkstar wrote:
Eathisword wrote:Sadly most likely a L2P issue. And i mean that with no condescension. So many questions remain :
7- Do you spec in a way that is comfortable for you ? or just a random cookie cutter.
8- Do you use a good choice of gear, talisman, potions to optimize your stat distribution to enhance the strengths and somewhat hide the weaknesses of your particular play-style ?

If you answer no to one of those questions, then there's your problem. If you seriously can answer yes to all of the above, then go post some suggestions in the balance forums.

Gotta realize PvP games are 75% about knowledge, 25% about decision making skills and 100% about gear. Peace.
I answered no to every single one of those questions but I give 300% effort. How big is my problem?
You answered... but was the answer yes ? If so then al you need is :
https://youtu.be/_b7bgtu2O4E?t=117

oh and nachos.
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

Jaycub

Post#23 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:11 pm

The game is playing way to slow right now imo.

Like others have said, solo play and non-proper group setups you will get totally annihilated in 3GCD's.

For instance I played for the 1st time in months yesterday on my WL, I was messing around in eatine and got pulled by a lowbie mara by suprise and he killed me in 4 gcds (~5 seconds flat?).

But in scenarios in our guild group that wasn't even meta, but I had a guard and 2 healers I was getting beat on by 2 sorcs, a magus, a WE, and an assortment of tanks and really just laughing it off most of the time.

This is thanks to how ridiculous things can get mitigation/defensive wise in group play.

My knight is giving me 50% damage reduction from guard, if he gets punted away or im pulled away from him I just detaunt and get the same effect for enough time for him to get back to me. He also has challenge which stacks multiplicatively with guard's damage reduction. And morales like bellow/ID which even further reduce damage taken.

My healers, the RP have an insane armor buff/pen reduction proc off HoT, big wounds buff, increased incoming healing proc, the AM has increased incoming healing buff, both healers have morales like either heal me for 1.2k that goes through heal debuffs, or increase my armor/resists that stacks with everything.

Every healer/tank has some kind of CC that can mitigate damage by taking targets out of the fight for some time (staggers roots whatever). Even on my WL I can throw a M1 root on a MDPS/Tank that is doing damage to someone or me and they have to sit and spin for 10 seconds unless they have root break. My tanks can do the same thing with CC.

We also have disgustingly overpowered RR abilities like cleansing wind, and RD which are get out of jail free cards on 2 minute cooldowns.

And things are even more easy mode on destro with DoK cheesyness with M2, and actually useful group cleanse. And grossly overpowered morale pumps on tanks for le ebin every 60 second ID rotations from both tanks. I've completely deleted all my order characters because I'm pretty sure destro is always gonna be better than order for 6v6/scenario type play which is what I enjoy the most.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

porkstar

Post#24 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm

KikkL wrote:How come in every pvp game ive tried, you die so fast?

Even this game,(unless tank uber def spec). You are dead in moments.
Im not talking about 3seconds being a long time. Half the time you dont get time to react.
Not just talking about this game. ALL PVP GAMES.

Tried WoW a few years ago, that was horrible getting 1shotted was common. Tried rift around the same period, samething a few seconds your dead.
Sure i can make a tank and live maybe an addicitonal 5-10sec, but thats on the extreme.
Im not referring to Highly defensive classes.

In this game, your opponent wants you dead in 3-4shots.

SO, how come this is?
How come? Its horrible design. but how can every game be made up of such crap?

A fight should take 15sec max. No matter how squishy you are. A fight should allow a player to respond and REACT, Not just die!!
its bullshit

SO WHY?????????
:rantrantrantrantrant!
People are saying learn the classes, learn the rotations, learn the abilities, get a group etc etc. but they don't say how. I'll just list a few things that helped me learn to become at least mediocre.

1. I would suggest playing, at minimum, a couple classes 1 dps (rdps or mdps) and 1 support (tank or heal) from lvl 1 to lvl 40 purely through PvP. Learn your abilities and the combinations as you level up. Unless you have a certain type of mind, talent and experience, it is harder to learn while having access to the entirety of a class' abilities. NO PvE except to quickly test abilities!!!! (this is difficult currently depending on your play times because T2 and T3 are totally dead much of the time.)

2. Observe the players that seem to do well such as; sc score boards - Death Blows and Deaths (high kill to death ratio), RvR kills (use the Enemy add-on), players that aren't dying constantly, players that do anything besides run balls-out into the fight and insta die, players that seem to be assisting each other, players that don't follow the blob of zerglings. Watch them and try to make sense of what they are doing. This means watching good enemy players as well! T1 is a good place to get used to observing because its often a blob of back and forth and concentrated in one area. Additionally, observe the shitty players and think about the mistakes they are making over and over. Observe the flow of battle. Is it time to advance or retreat? Observe your surroundings. Do you have some geometry to break enemy line of sight? Can you lure your enemy to break line of sight of his/her healer/support? Can you knock a healer off a wall? This is where you take advantage of your innate human ability to use complex thought for problem solving.

3. This piggy-backs off of point 2.) Assist other players! More succinctly, assist the good players. This can be tricky because you don't want to "freeload" off them and steal their kills and renown points but at the same time, proper assistance is a major factor in PvP games and assisting good players can get you invited to play in group. Know when to assist someone and know when to let them get the kills that they've earned themselves. Always try to assist someone whether it is helping to DPS or snaring a DPS on your healer etc etc. Properly assisting other players, good or bad, will be the single most important quality that will get you noticed by others.

4. Read your combat logs after engagements. Look at what kind of damage your skills are doing. Look at how much damage you are taking and think about why. If you see something interesting in combat logs, read about it here http://www.ror.builders/ When you have time, read about other classes in the racial section of the forums. Learn more about killing other classes by reading. Read some guides in the forums. Ask questions and read the answers.

I call it the PvP palindrome. OARAO. Observe, Assist, Read, Assist, Observe. Practice OARAO. Practice, practice, practice, practice. It's just like dodgeball without an extreme focus on balls...and dodging.
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#25 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:37 pm

It's just like dodgeball without an extreme focus on balls...and dodging.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Sorc.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

porkstar

Post#26 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:52 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:
It's just like dodgeball without an extreme focus on balls...and dodging.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Sorc.
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave

Telen
Suspended

Post#27 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:58 pm

I think people are over complicating what you need to know. Keybinding correctly and trying to have some semblance of uniformity with those keybinds over all class and even better over all mmos you play over the years is 99% of it. You should be using an ability naturally as you think of it. All the theorycrafting and knowledge of every class will not help if you dont do this and the majority of players even most that know the in and out of most classes dont.

Use nerfed buttons to lower your keybinds in war or other macro programs in other games so you can get 2 or 3 keybind setups that work for every class on every game. Also try to build specs you recognise from games that you have been playing for years. Abilities dont need to be the same just have the same situation usage. Get this down and you will have an advantage over 95% of player in any mmo no matter what they know.

porkstar

Post#28 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Spoiler:
Eathisword wrote:
porkstar wrote:

You answered... but was the answer yes ? If so then al you need is :
https://youtu.be/_b7bgtu2O4E?t=117

oh and nachos.
That's what livin' is, the six inches in front of your face.
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave

Ads
GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#29 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Telen wrote:I think people are over complicating what you need to know. Keybinding correctly and trying to have some semblance of uniformity with those keybinds over all class and even better over all mmos you play over the years is 99% of it. You should be using an ability naturally as you think of it. All the theorycrafting and knowledge of every class will not help if you dont do this and the majority of players even most that know the in and out of most classes dont.

Use nerfed buttons to lower your keybinds in war or other macro programs in other games so you can get 2 or 3 keybind setups that work for every class on every game. Also try to build specs you recognise from games that you have been playing for years. Abilities dont need to be the same just have the same situation usage. Get this down and you will have an advantage over 95% of player in any mmo no matter what they know.
I keep trying to level up my Con but the game tells me this isn't a stat. But how else can I use my half giant ranger regen build? The meta will leave me behind!
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Vdova

Post#30 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:59 pm

It depends on many things. This game is group oriented. Since most classes has not descent self heal, solo you die pretty fast unless you are dps healer, tank(hello Volgograd :-) ) or stealth class who can disingage and stealth away. Some classes are designed for high opening burst(kill in few seconds) others has better sustain. In most rvr games, the dmg outpoot of zerg is so huge, so you can die in seconds no matter how much you stack defensive stats.
Vdova - Witch elf princess of suffer and despair