Recent Topics

Ads

Considering the single target Magus post the changes to Bolt of Change

Let's talk about... everything else
Whitesands

Considering the single target Magus post the changes to Bolt of Change

Post#1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 am

The last change to the single target magus was the increase in the cool down of Bolt of Change (BoC). This occurred in early Dec. The ability went from 5 seconds to a 10 second cool down. Afterwards, Bolt of Change was also moved to the 13 point spot of the Havoc Mastery Line. The reasons given for the cool down change at the time were:

1) To break reliance on BoC
2) Avoid less down time between a BoC burst rotation
3) Address implications of trying to avoid damage (due to the abilities range)
4) Consideration of the mirroring with Engi Snipe.

Time has passed. I think the BoC cool down change should be reconsidered. As it stands, and having played the class consistently since the cool down increase: the single target focused magi remains lacking and behind other single target ranged classes. It does not generate the same level of threat, simply because the kill potential is notably less.

With the time that has passed since the change to BoC and to respond to the initial rationale(s) for the change:

1) Per BoC reliance: BoC is the hallmark ability of the single target mastery. It is only available to magi that are committed to the single target focus (due to its move to the 13 point mastery spot). It therefore should be a key feature of the single target focus

2) If BoC is reverted to a 5 second cool down, one has 5 seconds between use, with a 3 second firing time. I don't believe 8 seconds is untoward between times of ability affect. The current 13 second between ability affect means the BoC is simply an aside.

3) Per BoC range: I have no issue with changing the range of BoC to a base 100 ft. It was mentioned this requires client control. I do not know if this falls within the current powers of game developers. If it does not: there would remain pairing with Engi's Snipe. If both sides have a similar ability, with the same cool down, there is no unbalance.

4) Engi Snipe should have the same cool down as BoC so there is matching.

Thank you
Magus: Daemonfire
Engi: Handcannon

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: Considering the single target Magus post the changes to Bolt of Change

Post#2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am

Agreed. 5 sec boc necessary for st magus imo. Given range can't be individually adjusted as of now, revert would be simplest.

anarchypark

Post#3 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 pm

are you sure? 2k crit undefendable 5sec CD?
with flame's kiss tactic you can spam undefendable DD
It's tank killer with 10sec CD already
not sure anyone want sniper spam, do you?
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

peterthepan3

Post#4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Who the hell dies to frf? Do you even play the class? There were NO complaints re magus st, and experienced magi are saying the 5sec should be reinstated, but let's ignore that coz lol undefendable frf!

porkstar

Post#5 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 pm

After the cool down/range revert, it's clearly evident to me that the number of threatening magi has plummeted. Maybe that's just because good players would rather play a different class? I feel that even in the current situation, a pre-made featuring a magus or an engie wouldn't sit near the top of the predatory pyramid. Will the 5s Snipe and BoC help?
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

peterthepan3

Post#6 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 pm

It did help :)

porkstar

Post#7 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm

I noticed a very different game while the range increase and cool down decrease was active. My grenadier felt even less relevant! I did like the additional threat and it was nice to see more magi. I wish the middle tree builds could be more competitive as well.
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

Karast

Post#8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:36 pm

porkstar wrote:I noticed a very different game while the range increase and cool down decrease was active. My grenadier felt even less relevant! I did like the additional threat and it was nice to see more magi. I wish the middle tree builds could be more competitive as well.
Yeah. Even with the more mobile play-style and faster dot ticks, on both engi / magus the middle trees are just lacking. Too many weak AoE dots, and bad abilities. Engi has it slightly better, but even with firebomb, the damage is low, with insane AP costs, and too many must slot tactics to keep it functional in the same way as the other trees.

I am not a big fan of the BoC / Snipe spam, but it is fair argument that it stays at the 5s cooldown, with the range being adjusted once client control is in.

It is the core ability of the tree, and with dodge / disrupt where it is right now, it is a vital for actually getting spike on target.

Ads
Warpes

Post#9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:07 pm

What exactly was the purpose of the BoC swap with Firestorm in Havoc tree?

Changes like that one gimp the class in the worst way possible, since a lot of builds required it to be exactly where it was...

ToXoS

Post#10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Warpes wrote:What exactly was the purpose of the BoC swap with Firestorm in Havoc tree?

Changes like that one gimp the class in the worst way possible, since a lot of builds required it to be exactly where it was...
BoC is excellent, and Firestorm is ****.
That's why BoC was swapped to 13 points in havoc tree.