Leveling is painfully slow

Let's talk about... everything else
Toonman

Re: Leveling is painfully slow

Post#91 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

DirkDaring wrote:
Must be exciting as Dest locking all those PVE keeps, with 0 order lol,

RVDOOR
When the total NA pop for all 4 Tiers is like.....200-230 people, not much you can do about it.

Ads
Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#92 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm

altharion1 wrote:The XP grind on an Alpha server has got to be a waste of time for everyone involved. Its a significant barrier for both veterans leveling alts and prevents new players experiencing the large scale orvr interactions of T4. I'd imagine a lot of new players actually quit before even getting to T4 and seeing what the game is actually all about.

Powerleveling to 40 is the logical choice for anyone leveling an Alt. For new players ofc T1, T2 and T3 are kind of important, but I don't see why you'd tailor the game to the needs a such a small minority.

Many people have spent years in T1, T2 and T3 while the Alpha phase was being developed and I for one have no motivation to go back and play those Tiers again. As the time it takes to grind and acquire the BiS gear in T4 increases, the value of investing time into playing T1-3 decreases.

The faster you hit T4, the faster you start earning T4 influence, Officer/Conq medallions/Emblems and rolling on zone lock bags.
Wow so wrong... If noone levels t1-3 who Test the quests Bugs and so on?
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

Osred

Post#93 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Daknallbomb wrote: Wow so wrong... If noone levels t1-3 who Test the quests Bugs and so on?
I believe more people would do them if their rewards were attractive enough to do them in the first place.

I think talismans and special dyes are underutilized as rewards which could motivate people.
Osri - 40/79 - Runepriest
Osarion 40/82 - Swordmaster
Osgrim 40/74 - Ironbreaker

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#94 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm

More Dark Red dye as quest rewards would motivate me to do them :p
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#95 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Well cool colors or Optik thingys are a good Motivation
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

Pulse

Post#96 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm

I find doing the quests to be somewhat counter productive to leveling much of the time.
"Go find so-and-so and return to me", a 15 to 30 minute jog for the same xp of killing 3 same level mobs in 1-2 minutes. I guess if you play for the PvE it isn't an issue as you slowly level your way up staying at the same level of the quest areas but most people here today are here for the RvR.

Kobra
Suspended

Post#97 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

CegeePegee wrote:This is seriously one of the easiest mmos level in. Has the ultra-easy-mode of crap games like WoW created this mentality that all mmos should be fast and easy? If you want an insta-max-level character to play, might I suggest trying MOBAs instead? What's being asked for in this thread goes against the very core of mmos.
Almost all modern MMO's offer fast leveling or an avenue to fast leveling (usually with $$). As an example - Tera, which I primarily play these days you can be level 30 in about 3 hours or less, way less if you use paid exp boosters. You can cap out the max level and start raiding within a day. Many of us aren't kids any longer and can't sit in Karnors Castle in Everquest for 9 hours a day for 1 bar of experience. Modern gamers are quite OCD in this regard.

With that being said, I don't find RoR to be slow leveling. Even if you ignore the BO's and do everything properly, it's still not what I would consider a grind. If you get power leveled it's a mere few hours to tier 4.

Personally I don't believe fast leveling has any detriment to a game. The reason I believe this is that experience comes in fast and furious once you get to the busy and highly competitive aspects of the game. So if you suck in tier 4 at a few days in, you'll likely still suck after a few weeks and months. Some people just suck and I don't believe long, slow grinds will fix that! Especially in RoR when you get get Ruin+Epics+Tome Gear and be very competitive in Tier 4 and still have some nice loot to grind for.

dansari

Post#98 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Osred wrote:I believe more people would do them if their rewards were attractive enough to do them in the first place.

I think talismans and special dyes are underutilized as rewards which could motivate people.
You're probably right, and the devs might have that on their plate, but we also have to acknowledge they have priorities set. Changing rewards for questing is probably lower on the list than client control, for example. This isn't directed towards you whatsoever; I think it's good to have conversations about what players would like to see -- but we also have to set a realistic approach. Good to want all the things; need to temper expectations on when to get all the things.
<Salt Factory>

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#99 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm

dansari wrote:
Osred wrote:I believe more people would do them if their rewards were attractive enough to do them in the first place.

You're probably right, and the devs might have that on their plate, but we also have to acknowledge they have priorities set. Changing rewards for questing is probably lower on the list than client control, for example. This isn't directed towards you whatsoever; I think it's good to have conversations about what players would like to see -- but we also have to set a realistic approach. Good to want all the things; need to temper expectations on when to get all the things.
There are many people on staff that have nothing to do with client control and have been making smaller changes. Once PQ's are finished, the DB team in general will have new areas to focus on, questing seems like a good mess of stuff to grind through. This work happens independent of the launcher and isn't hindered by client control, no reason not to do it.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#100 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 pm

I suspect the team will be rather hostile to this idea, but hear me out. So I dont mind the levelling as much as others seem to, but what about the limited application of a character boost system, similar to (but much more limited than) World of Warcraft's system?

The general idea would be you get one boost ever (no exceptions, no reversals, one per account not one per faction), and you acquire it by achieving 40/40 on a toon. Maybe even include some more hurdles, i.e. a hefty (100+) cost in Conq emblems/medals, or a pricetag in gold (all paid from one character).

Anyways, you get one boost and it puts the boosted character at 32/32, with a full set of...say, Devastator and Duellist, plus green pvp weapons (you wilp get your epic weapon anyways). Or hell, start em out with green pvp gear since they will farm ruin anyways.

So there. Throws a bone to those annoyed at the grind, but its one time only, and still makes you progress through t4 (i.e. epic quests, ruin farm, rr farm). No idea how feasible such an idea is from a technological or logistic standpoint (how do these chracters get boosted, and how are requests for boosts processed?) and I figure the devs wont like the idea anyways, but thought I'd give it a go for posterity's sake.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!