Recent Topics

Ads

[Discussion/Feedback] The Armor Project

Let's talk about... everything else
th3gatekeeper

[Discussion/Feedback] The Armor Project

Post#1 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm

I am hoping to have a constructive discussion, and perhaps even possible some feedback for the DEVs in this area - if they are interested.

This ALL started when I was trying to optimize "how much armor should I have". I was told many things, so I started to test and found out (probably what most people know) armor is pretty damn good... maybe even too good. So I kept things like my Ruin 2 pc bonus for the extra armor and even slotting an armor tali or two.

This evolved into more of a balance discussion recently, as a friend of mine started trying to min/max his damage via armor penetration (Weapon Skill). So we did some testing on various levels of armor. Here are the results (note: I am rounding the armor values here).

@ 2400 armor (~55%)
Attacked with 314 weapon skill = 266 damage.
Attacked with 434 weapon skill = 288 damage.

@ 3000 armor (~68%)
314 weapon skill = 214 damage.
434 weapon skill = 239 damage.

* So this was my first red flag.... I increased my armor a mere 600 points. Assuming the initial value of 266 damage and then having us "both" increase our values, my armor by 600 and his weapon skill by 120.... My armor FAR outpaced his weapon skill increase. In fact. 120 weapon skill = 720 armor equivalent.... So you would think that JUST LIKE TOUGHNESS where it moots out STR at a 1:1 value, weapon skill should be "keeping up with" armor in some fashion... NOT AT ALL....

I can spend just a few slots, pick up 600 armor, spend another 1-2 slots on something ELSE and still FAR outpace his weapon skill... It gets worse.

@3600 armor
314 WS = 158 damage
434 WS = 189 damage.

@4200 armor
314 WS = 112 damage.
434 WS = 148 damage.

Me increasing my armor from 3000 to 4200 nearly cut his damage IN HALF... For 1200 armor... Thats 8 Armor Talis... The equiv of what.... 160 toughness or 160 strength or 160 weapon skill?

No stat value is so powerful.... Even if he were to increase his weapon skill by 200... it wouldnt come CLOSE to "outpacing" the damage decrease I added from armor.

Now this all makes sense... Why I see so many people running around in armor talis... because there is no stat that is as valuable or has as big an impact on damage, like armor.... Sure, adding 160 toughness, thats going to be noticeable... You might see a 10 or 15% drop off in damage from that... but armor? Adding 1000 or 1200 armor... you will see closer to a 50% reduction in damage...

This reminds me of what Az shared:
Azarael wrote:there's a defensive stat that actually needs bringing into line, and that stat sure ain't Toughness (hint: it's armor)
So I started thinking... why is armor so OP... why doesnt weapon skill counter armor (as a counter-stat)... And I think its because weapon skill's armor pen is "multiplicative" not "additive" - which is what I had THOUGHT it was when I first came here (and what many other games I have played do).

What the difference is... is this...(for non math people).

If I have ~55% physical mitigation from armor and someone attacks me with 35% armor pen. It DOESNT reduce my physical mitigation down to 20% (55% - 35% = 20%) what it does is 55% * (1-35%) = 35.75%. So 35% armor pen, ends up only allowing you to bypass closer to 20% of their "physical damage resistance"....

This seems a bit odd to me. That there is no "counter stat" to armor. Maybe I am wrong, but looking at my numbers above.... A player at 3000 armor going to 3600 armor even if his attacker increases his own weapon skill by 120 points... The damage reduction goes from 214 down to 189.... A loss of 11.6% damage!!! Even AFTER the guy stacked his weapon skill up 120 points more he STILL lost 11% damage.... Which btw... to make up 11% damage loss here... Think about this.

he would need to stack 120 weapon skill AND ~160 strength to "moot out" a mere 600 armor..... Think about that... 600 armor (in this case) is worth about 120 weapon skill and 160 strength.... that just blows my mind...

This is why every support class (like healers) is (or should be) running armor talis currently....

I cant help but think... "Maybe this formula should be changed so that its an addative function rather than multiplicative" So that if a player adds 10% more armor pen, it will mitigate 10% more "physical damage reduction" which would mean that the armor pen you get from weapon skill, would actually be fairly close to a "counter stat" for armor in that, for 1 tali slot, the ARP gained from weapon skill is roughly able to "counter" the armor gained from that same slot. Doing this, means a "nerf" to armor, which would actually start making toughness more "on par" as an option instead of armor...

So now, if you had 35% armor pen against a 55% armor player, he would have a "net" 20% physical damage reduction left... How I thought it worked from the get go.... Then if you were to armor debuff him down to say 38%, and attacked with 35%, he would have "3% physical damage reduction" left over... So you could (with armor debuff and weapon skill) end up "mooting out) a players armor....

What this ALSO does is starts to create more build variety... Players might slot more weapon skill (at the loss of maybe strength) which is a BIG tradeoff for "parry strikethrough". So it becomes more of a "balancing act" on what stats to have rather than "maxing your primary damage stat, like STR, to the soft cap".... Which I find rather bland atm...

You might also see more physical damage builds, rather than trying to focus on spirit damage, or elemental etc. I can think on my Chosen, it might be worth trying a high weapon skill "Cleave" build rather than the standard "Ravage" build... I know other classes have similar things as well.... This also now makes sense as to why physical damage was always frowned upon... Because the other types of damage go up against resistances that are capped at a MUCH lower amount and the "counter stat" to armor (armor pen) sucks!!!!

What do you guys think? Is armor/should armor be this strong? IMO... I always thought it was silly that anyone (except tanks) ran armor talis... Or... what did I miss here.... Is there something I am not considering or missing here?
Last edited by th3gatekeeper on Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
Tesq

Re: [Discussion/Feedback] The Armor Project

Post#2 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 am

Well magic dmg ignore armor, mara ignore armor, there are armor debuff(morales stack with normal one so is like well -2.8k of armor). WE/WH also have way to ignore armors. .KOBS/BG main offensive skill ignore armor (25%). It is so good because it have a lot of counter; all of these stack with weapon skill ignore (there are also wep skill buff).

After a certain % the armor ingore became better than the armor you may have, assume you are a tank and 110% dmg reduction from armor assume a choppa/slayer with 45% armor pen + add 1.4 debuf from mara/wl. that's like 65% armor gone total mitigation is like 40-45% of dmg.
Image on dd or cloth ppl, remove the armor require nothing. Add also an armor moral debuff and some classes get pure or almost pure dmg. It's probable that you need certain set up to counter armor more than other and if you do not know it's harder to deal with it, rest is guard and dmg reduction stuff.

th3gatekeeper

Post#3 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 am

Tesq wrote:Well magic dmg ignore armor

Yes, and due to the strength of armor, this is why universally magic damage > physical damage in almost any situation or build option... I just think this "counter stat" is bogus and weak and IMO needs to be looked at.... Otherwise why would Az say armor is overpowered? Why would SO many players be running armor talis? Why would the market price of an armor tali, be SO much higher than its counter parts if it were all "balanced".....

I know all the stuff you said Tesq. I know armor debuffs, and mara tactics etc... I get all that.... But even all that said... Armor talis wouldnt be selling for such a premium and players like healers wouldnt be running it, and AZ wouldnt have said it, if it werent SOMEWHAT true....

The reality is... Weapon Skill is weak and I think the problem lies with how the ARP works as being a "counter stat"...
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Dabbart

Post#4 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 am

Well. First off,
Spoiler:
Toughness isn't directly affected by enemies STR on this server. It is just a static damage decrease. I get your math on that(1-1), but just wanted to state that incase those reading don't know.

Also, and technically unrelated, but the damage decrease from Initiative(via less crits) can actually be far more important than armor. Sure, you can mitigate 50%+ damage, but if you have a 20% base chance to be crit, you're still takin 1.5k+ raw dam hits constantly.
Secondly,
Spoiler:
Armor Debuff values are far higher than Stat debuffs at their upper levels. My BO can strip almost 900 armor with a base attack, other classes can debuff it far more. Then they get WS Bypass. Attacking an entirely undebuffed target shouldn't hit for crap tons of damage. So it's hard to get a proper read w/o utilizing armor debuffs and seeing how the math works then. WS debuffs are kinda rare, I think 5-6 classes have one?

On the actual point of Armor being potentially OP... It can be. If/when someone stacks armor to well over the cap(4500 or more) then it becomes almost a waste of time to physical damage them, unless you have an armor bypass attack. However, I don't actually consider this too OP, since stacking the **** out of armor will seriously gimp your toon in other ways. The issue is in the base armor classes can generate, and the use of Armor pots which reduce almost every single Armor Buff to a waste of GcD.

Now, where your math gets interesting though is in regards to the actual amount that we could discuss reducing Pots too. For instance, if you can show(and you did) that +600 armor is FAR more powerful than +120WS then potentially Pots should be reduced to an "even" amount all around. Now I am using Funny math here, since there are no WS pots, but using Tough/STR pots to calculate would mean the Armor pot would be like +250, and I see it more along the lines of +350/+450(grn/blue).

What would that accomplish? A, make a LOT of armor buffing abilities use-able, which actually lengthens combat, since you are using more defensive GcDs, and imo would lead to more "skill" and timing based group play. It also drops everyone's static armor by 310+. Also, remember that Armor Buffs(outside of WP Aura which would be a seperate discussion) can all be removed(outside of morales obviously)
And lastly,
Spoiler:
In regards to the base armor certain classes can attain. It can get crazy. I did the math with my BO. He is in 5p beastlord/2p dom/2p Anni. If I had kept the 2p Ruin for the armor over anni it only gave me like 200 somethin armor(- nearly 100Str), and when compared to Dom/Beastlord[ I would actually Lose armor. Cause He's a tank and gets really high base armor per piece. In full DPS mode(840 str, 28oish WS, like 16% chance to be crit) he still has over 3400 aarmor potted.

I however, think that's something the Devs/GMs need to sort out in the long-run. With added Sets, damage procs, more and more DPS classes with capped main attack stat/crazy high lvls of crit... Who knows? Maybe BW/WH and WE/Sorc will become the new Meta, just to deal with all the Armor... We'll see.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

th3gatekeeper

Post#5 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 am

More severe debuffs only strengthens the relative value of armor as I see it. All that does is adjust numbers down.. but it doesn't change the comparative value of a few hundred armor versus any other defensive stat... Except maybe initiative as you said. Although unless you deal non phys damage... If I choose armor > initiative armor will give you auch higher return on the stat.

Armor also doesn't gimp you all that much... A few BL, Ruin 2 pc, a few dominator and a decent str pot (without tali's) and you'll be at like 4500+ armor....

It's all relative is my point. Armor excelled at every point I checked... So regardless of armor debuffs or not... It's all relative and "at X level what is the best stat".... So I'm not quite sure what having more severe debuffs means... All that seems to do is prove my point.more?

Armor scales better than anything AND has the most severe debuffs meaning you can over stack it and get amazing benefits....

Also what's odd is the almost "opposing" relationship armor debuffs have with armor pen... If you drop someone's armor down, your armor pen now cuts through less? Maybe weapon skill should apply on the pre-debuffed armor value... Meaning if you were at 90% pre debuff.. you lose 1500 armor and might sit at like 67% or whatever.... Versus a 45% arp player... Instead of it being 45% of 67% it seems it should be 45% reduced from 90% number....

Otherwise armor debuffs just lessen the value of arp? Especially compared to strength
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Dabbart

Post#6 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:22 am

th3gatekeeper wrote:More severe debuffs only strengthens the relative value of armor as I see it. All that does is adjust numbers down.. but it doesn't change the comparative value of a few hundred armor versus any other defensive stat...
Doesn't it though? WS removes a % of the armor. It doesn't bypass X amount. So at higher lvls of armor you bypass more with less effectiveness. Well. Maybe this only comes into play once you go over the armor cap... But adjusting numbers down would be a "good" thing in the world of Armor values being far too high no?

Correct on the comparative though. Though I do wonder how much of an issue this is for non tanks/WP/DoKs... Maybe with SH/SW pet/stance dependant. For everyone else, is their armor amount a perceived issue? Trying to say, is this a general gameplay issue, or a class/archetype one? I have seen plenty of Debuff Bot Mara's with armor tali's, and maybe it's just the classes/teams I play with, but armor doesn't seem to be that crazy outside of the theory/math of it.
th3gatekeeper wrote: Armor also doesn't gimp you all that much... A few BL, Ruin 2 pc, a few dominator and a decent str pot (without tali's) and you'll be at like 4500+ armor....
Sorry I wasn't clear there, I was referring to someone who is stacking armor talis, and taking every available armor buff(ruin/winds impervious/etc) at the expense of say, Ini or their main attack stat. You mentioned stacking armor talis and whatnot. Doing so would gimp you in other ways, maybe not the same as stacking say Ele resistance on order would, but still...
th3gatekeeper wrote: It's all relative is my point. Armor excelled at every point I checked... So regardless of armor debuffs or not... It's all relative and "at X level what is the best stat".... So I'm not quite sure what having more severe debuffs means... All that seems to do is prove my point.more?

Armor scales better than anything AND has the most severe debuffs meaning you can over stack it and get amazing benefits....

Also what's odd is the almost "opposing" relationship armor debuffs have with armor pen... If you drop someone's armor down, your armor pen now cuts through less? Maybe weapon skill should apply on the pre-debuffed armor value... Meaning if you were at 90% pre debuff.. you lose 1500 armor and might sit at like 67% or whatever.... Versus a 45% arp player... Instead of it being 45% of 67% it seems it should be 45% reduced from 90% number....

Otherwise armor debuffs just lessen the value of arp? Especially compared to strength
It lowers the amount you bypass, but you still bypass the same %. Bypassing 20% of the armor of someone at 4k armor vs 2k armor for instance. Literally half the amount of armor bypassed, but you should see a higher amoumt of DPS gained. Again though, I haven't tested the numbers on a non-capped target.

That's an interesting idea however. I'll have to spend some time thinkin on that one. My brain screams that something will break from it. But I dunno...
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

DokB

Post#7 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:57 am

I think it would be best to start out small and to nerf the effectiveness of armour pots. Rather than every man and his dog running around with a 660+ armour pot, if we could somehow push players more towards using their abilities (for example the Black Orcs Tuffer N’ Nails, more people using the Da Greenest bellow, hell even making people actually slot We’z Bigger. At the moment a lot of these skills are made redundant by armour pots unless you’re spec’d for it and even then the armour bonus it offers over basic 660+ armour pot is nothing to write home about) that boosts their own and the groups armour values.

Unfortunately I have no idea how you could do this other than removing high end armour pots (the 800+ variety) and/or making them much shorter in duration.

Make squishy classes squishy again!
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

xanderous

Post#8 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 am

Potions like armor or the ones that provide the core stats are the meta purely because everyone is using them making them sorta pointless, just get rid of them already and keep the restorative and niche ones.
Bashgutz RR82 Borc Vaseryn RR61 SM Krantz RR82 Knight Corvinus RR70 Chosen Mormonty RR72 IB
Starkus RR70 BG Snaptz RR83 SH Plagueis RR81 Magus Alec RR85 Engie Sourgazt RR69 Shaman
Kreaver RR80 Marauder Dugald RR75 Slayer

Ads
Luth

Post#9 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:09 am

xanderous wrote:Potions like armor or the ones that provide the core stats are the meta purely because everyone is using them making them sorta pointless, just get rid of them already and keep the restorative and niche ones.
This would remove a lot of AH trade too, which means there will be less AH fee. The AH fee is important as a gold sink for the economy to lower inflation. Removing content from an already not inventive and very simple designed crafting system is imo not a good idea. The buffs should be better adjusted.

Bozzax

Post#10 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 am

Tsk Tsk!

Penetration is fine imo but weapon skill and the other avoidance stats (Ini, Willpower) are a bit meh as offensive stats tends to be x2-x3 on average.

The def stats are naturally lower and are much harder to come by which is why I think <defensive stat>/<offensive stat> should be looked at first and foremost.
Spoiler:
All defence calculations are done in two parts, the first is a statistic check made up of offensive vs defensive stats, they are coupled as follows:
Ballistics skill vs Initiative = Dodge

Strength vs Weapon skill = Parry

Intelligence vs Willpower = Disrupt

the first part of the formula is:
<defensive stat>/<offensive stat>*0.075 = base defence chance (this is capped at 25%)
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7